1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to bench or cut Willie Gay...seriously.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Avoid Lloyd, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't understand why Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen aren't playing? I have a feeling they are ready, but they won't play them just because they are "rookies"...Curtis Brown in particular.

2. LA_STEEL

LA_STEEL Member

Oct 23, 2011
    W.Gay for the most part been playing decent untill this game . Buyt i still say get rid of him trade him for some value some othe rteam might be interested for like a 6th or 7th round pick.

3. black&gold1969

black&gold1969 Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Gay got torched all game. Flacco abused him this game and openind day. GAY has to go. Put someone younger in. PLEASE. The whole scheme was bad. Horrible

4. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You could be right because according to this PPG article that's what they tried to do and it clearly didn't work.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11312/1188283-66.stm

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know he probably isn't the answer, but what happened to Mcfadden or what did he do to end up last on the depth chart. He's been showing well on special teams and he does at least to me seem to have the best hands and ball skills of the bunch. Has he fallen off that much, I thought Gay only beat him out because of injury,what gives ?

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will start by saying that Gay has came a long,long way..........With that said he has become a average starter........Gay can not cover a faster WR,,,,He can not cover a Stronger WR,,,,,,,He can not tackle at a high level in open space.......

With those things said he can out do a slower WR,,,,,,,,He can out do a guy of the same measurables,,,,,,,,and he has learned to close quick and get guys on the ground.........Don't get it twisted he is still not the answer,,,,,,,but he has grown a bunch and deserves credit for that...

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The truth is we may not have the answer on our roster but I think we can do a much better job by having one, just one of our safeties actually playing the position by definition. Too many times we have been burnt on the deep ball and our safeties are nowhere to be found. If Clark wants to continue being the headhunter that he is than Troy should be the one guarding against the deep ball.How many big games have we lost with our guys being out of position? If we really need Troy blitzing and hanging around the line of scrimmage with the talent we have at LB then we are in more trouble than I thought.The problem is that we don't have a true FS and I think it needs to be addressed in the draft with a high pick,but for now maybe Mundy or one of the young guys could be a viable alternative late in games when we are trying to protect a lead.

8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It wasn't just Willie Gay. Ike "No Hands" Taylor let the receiver get behind him on the one that he dropped and Ryan "I'd rather hit than cover" Clark provided NO HELP for Gay on the TD. Truth is, they were all PATHETIC tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote:30qusnkf]
    I blame lebeau, on the last play of the game and you blitz instead of rushing four and dropping back seven.As soon as flacco saw william gay one on one with the receiver he knew where he was going.At the worst it wouldve been a incomplete pass because we all know that he can't cover.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I blame lebeau, on the last play of the game and you blitz instead of rushing four and dropping back seven.As soon as flacco saw william gay one on one with the receiver he knew where he was going.At the worst it wouldve been a incomplete pass because we all know that he can't cover.[/quote:u03gnrbv]

I agree with this 100%. Should have dropped more into coverage.