1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to bench or cut Willie Gay...seriously.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Avoid Lloyd, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Avoid Lloyd

Avoid Lloyd Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm sick and tired of this guy giving up big play after big play. He would have given up at least three other big catches had the Ratbird receivers not dropped the ball. This has been going on for a couple of years now.

Willie "Give up the big play" Gay :frustrated:

2. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    We'd be better off putting the ****ing Mascot out there.

3. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Big Play Willy Gay, huh? :doh:

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It wasn't just Willie Gay. Ike "No Hands" Taylor let the receiver get behind him on the one that he dropped and Ryan "I'd rather hit than cover" Clark provided NO HELP for Gay on the TD. Truth is, they were all PATHETIC tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It wasn't just Willie Gay. Ike "No Hands" Taylor let the receiver get behind him on the one that he dropped and Ryan "I'd rather hit than cover" Clark provided NO HELP for Gay on the TD. Truth is, they were all PATHETIC tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote:278r0gta]

EVERY CB gets burned now and then.

Gay is ashes. Remove him from the starting lineup. He doesn't deserve the uniform. Ike played very well overall.

6. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    wow for really the first time this year he had a bad game and everyone wants to get rid of him.

im pretty sure there were 10 other guys on the field and none of could come up with a big play to get off the field on 3rd down.

i would say Ike had a worse game than Gay.

all in all it was a bad game for the secondary.

old DL should have stuck with the defense he ran against the Pats.

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Please CUT him and mindwipe all of us so we don't have to remember that he ever even existed.

8. Stiller3

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd say your full of it if you your talking about getting on Ikes case. The whole damn secondary stunk it up tonight.

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure if the Patriots plan would have worked. Brady has a bunch of small and slow WR's that aren't a threat to burn anyone so you can press them.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    First of all, the real Willie Gay showed up tonight. He is who we thought he was --- not very good. Secondly, if you believe that Gay played a better game than Taylor, then not sure what game you were watching. Gay got torched big at least a half dozen times and the WR's couldn't make the catches. I wouldn't necessarily call them "routine" catches. But, the rats could have easily had 2 more TD's if Smith could catch. I do agree that overall, the secondary played poorly. I was surprised that Timmons didn't seem to show up covering underneath. I was disappointed in Timmons tonight, in addition to the DL. Outside of JH, we got zero penetration up the middle from the DL.

11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And to think I was going to ask for a Gay jersey for Christmas.

I think Ike had a bad game too.

This game was lost all over the field.

12. Stiller3

Oct 24, 2011
    How many of those 14 conversions came off of Willie "Can't play worth a ****" Gay?

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL OLDSCHOOL! That was a great joke! Can you imagine someone wearing a Willy Gay jersey? You would be really welcome in Baltimore. Pittsburgh... not so much...

14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Almost all of them.... :evil: I was stunned the Ravens ran the ball as much as they did. Our secondary was HORRIBLE.

15. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yes, the secondary was terrible last night, but they need a pass rush to be successful. Besides Harrison there was no one else putting pressure on Flacco.

16. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, Gay stunk as usual but the only player on defense that showed up last night was Harrison. If Woodley doesn't come back soon we're in big trouble.

17. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i never said Gay out played Ike. i said Ike had a worse game than Gay. meaning Ike was real bad as well. Gay didnt out play him, Ike just played sown to Gays level.

Boldin was getting the best of Ike and Ike got burned on that last drive by Smith and should of gotten the td then.

there were 10 other guys on the field during that last drive and not one of them made a play. its just easy to point the finger at Gay.

18. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I give Ike a pass here. Not a bad job IMO, but not his best performance either. Gay has proven time and time again that he is NOT a starter. I think the wool was pulled over our eyes last week a bit. The wool was clearly removed this week. :ratssuck:

19. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How many holding/interference penalties has ike been called for this year??

20. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So our secondary quietly puts up nice stats through the first half of the year while we all question if its valid.
    Last week they change scheme and alas slay the mighty Brady Bunch. Everyone is ready to say the secondary is for real and sing praises for Coach Lake helping coach these guys up including coaching William Gay into something in his 5th year.
    Last night they go back to zone and get exposed like we saw last year and had expected to see against good teams this year.
    The Man coverage last week worked on the WR personel NE has. I think they tried to be more physical on the Ravens WRs last night at first and they didn't always give them a big cushion, but they weren't getting it done...WRs were too big and just didn't get disrupted.
    I don't know how to account for this, but I am not ready to say they suck. We will likely see some good games and bad games yet from this secondary. We know the pass rush can make a difference. I thought it was ok last night. Harrison had 3 sacks (don't recall if anyone else had any) and it seemed like they were getting some pressure. Unfortunately as much as it pains me to say it...Flacco looked good. He hung in there and never got rattled.

21. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the biggest issue I had with Gay last night was that he never seemed to ever get a jam on his man at the line. The most I saw was sticking his arm out as he was turning around. Maybe if he stuck his man from the start it would use screwed up their timing enough to let the pass rush get there.

As for Ike, I agree he had a lousy game for him last night, I saw a BUNCH of times he could have been called for PI with holding a jersey but it wasn't called.

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chad Scott.

SO I don't think W Gay will be sitting the bench or getting cut soon.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with all of this. The Ravens receivers are much more physical than NE. The real problem was on 3rd down we probably sent too many in the blitz and were left exposed. Once again the Ravens did a great job of standing up our pass rush and clogging them up.

I'm still annoyed with the PI calls, and the slant routes that we might have stopped had we faked the blitz, then dropped into coverage, more.

As for Gay: it seemed to me that the main way he was picked on was the speed match up. The real question, I think, is whether we think Keenan Lewis did any better on the same receivers.

24. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What matters is they converted 3 off of him on that last drive.

25. steelgirl ny 47

steelgirl ny 47 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Listen , every Christmas i tell my family " no gifts please,only wishing for a good CB for the team". Well, this year i'm sending santa and rudolph a letter requesting that William Gay be returned to the island of misfit toys.