1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to bench Najee

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tiggs99, Sep 19, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Stats are great for math and fantasy option, but they don’t often tell the whole story. That’s why The Steelers and other teams have a hall of honor for guys like Hines Ward, James Harrison, and Aaron Smith whose importance more than what stats illustrate. The numbers aren’t exactly there, but we know their contributions. It’s the eye test and not stats driven. I see what changes when Warren gets the tote.

Sure I’ll move or expand goal posts.

Again, I like Harris, but he doesn’t give splash enough, Warren does. That splash changes completions and what defenses do or don’t do and that cannot be clearly displayed on a stat line. That’s why there is a human element and you cannot rely on analytics entirely. Or that’s how I think.

But yeah, I think we (likely all) agree the o line is the biggest problem yet again in this running game situation that doesn’t seem the change in the positive direction enough. I just thing Warren is the best option for below the line O-line play more that Harris. Warrens style fits and makes our bad scheme function better.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just want them to put the best back on the field. Harris can’t hide behind these excuses his entire career. Like I said, Henry runs against stacked boxes all the time. Harris is a first round pick built like Henry, time to perform.

And I’m not just talking about how Warren looks on passing downs, he looks better on handoffs too. You have to be able to see that, man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    Bust, not a bust, OK there. We are talking semantics here. Najee may not be a 100% bust, but he's hardly in a position of demanding more touches when his backup clearly is. Warren clearly deserves more touches, at Najee's expense, period. I don't care what you classify that as.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    This article breaks down issues with the run game - which shows blocking issues and highlights the poor passing game that allows opponents to stack the box. This video highlights the poor blocking especially by Daniels and a whiff by Pickens, but I feel like Najee should hit harder through the hole behind Heyward and get some yards. Instead he seems to brace for contact before #8 hit him in the hole. Seems like splitting hairs with the poor blocking but I think the backs need to take the yards that are there to get to more manageable down and distance rather than taking a loss, until the blocking can get worked out.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/...elers-running-game-analysis-film-room-nfl-cah

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now pointing out if He gets resigned really means nothing. You do know all the top backs either didn't get resigned, or barely got anything, and these are the guys who lead the league. So whether He is resigned , or not really means nothing in this topic.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Blind leading the blind. Warren is running at 2.9 yards a Carry, and Najee is running at 4.6 yards a carry.....what part of that suggest Warren should get more????
    One is doing it mainly in 1st, and 2nd downs, and one is doing it in a more favorable 3rd down mainly. I'm :beathorse:
    Good God in Heaven. You people are stubborn.
    Do you not realize You are not seeing what You think You are seeing.
    Half of You are not going by facts....Your going by feelings.....hell I can point to a bunch of You straight out saying.....I feel, or it seems like.....You saying it Yourselves. LoL

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah James Harrison, or Ward didn't have any stats. LOL A. Smith wasn't supposed to have stats....He played in a different type of 3-4 then We play now....You are totally correct stats don't show everything. Thats why You use both... That's why Your eyes should show You that one RB is playing against a different D most of the time to the other RB, and yet He is still getting more yards a carry.
    Let Me ask You a simple Question.
    On 1st down, 2nd down, and 3rd , and long ...without looking.....which one is getting the most look from a Defense as a run, or a pass??? Especially in a offense that nobody is scared of the passing game, but even in normal situations.
    Now really think about that answer, and then rethink about the RBs.

8. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Harris is a hammer, not how do they start the game with him running the ball?

Stretch plays outside...

He's just not fast enough

Poor usage, poor o-line, poor playcalling, injury all play into why he has not been a huge success, and he has to take some part of the blame himself.

It's a speed league, I want speed in an RB.

I think if you got all the above right, he'd be very good. but the thing is, he can't make anything happen on his own

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    At least you agree that you moved the goalposts. I appreciate that.

Actually, the statistics show is quite about about Ward, Harrison, and Smith. Watching them matters, too. When the running game is working properly, Harris is the sort of big, physical back who can wear down a defense. That has value, too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Unless you bring back Barry Sanders in his prime, no running back can make things happen on their own.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    50 / 50 and no pressure to sign Najee long term to nothing. so, that is good.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wish MC and MT would read and listen too!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    Speaking of "not getting it."

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Not often you hear a woman say that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the $hit that starts the dumb talk is having dumb DNA

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh ffs :facepalm:

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I don’t really have the bandwidth to go and research and check the ratio of the better backs who got the 2nd contract, but I know a few have and it’s usually because it made sense. Those that didn’t probably had some other X-factor in play that made the team let them walk - character issues, injuries, a new stud they landed etc…

This whole thing could turn around if the whole group of coaches and player hammer out this bug in the system.

It really feels like a motor that someone put the wrong fuel in or something. The parts are all there, they just need a good mechanic to flush it and tune er up and it can start purring again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

That’s def me. I gots all the feels.

19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I know you said that was a “simple question” but I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “getting the most look”. But I think I know where you are going there.

I would think, with this current team, not league wide or our Steelers history, that 1st and 2nd downs are getting a similar defense thrown at them in similar percentages.

But I’m not just talking about these past two games. I am also including what I saw all of last year.

Warren has won me over. If we took draft positioning out of the picture in any equation I think Warren would be the starter and Harris would be getting the 3rd down carries.

I really believe draft acquisition is playing a roll here and it’s time for that to not be the case anymore.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, Najee is 6'1, and Warren is 5'8.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Warren averages less YPC than Najee, he hasn't done anything in the run game this season, it's a lot easier to run against a defense on third downs like Warren does.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I didn't read six plus pages of this thread. My thought is that Najee Harris is the starting full back for the Pittsburgh Steelers and he has earned that right. I don't know what the expectations are, but the run blocking has been awful so far. Jaylen Warren is a nice back, but he is a complimentary piece at best. This line needs to start blocking more effectively for both running and passing plays. When that happens, Najee will be just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah right. Blind boy.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Josh Jacob's led the league in rushing last year.....He got a whole one year contract this year.
    Let make it easier. The top 5 rushing last year RBs that got contracts out of the 5 .. two of them got one year contracts, and one of them got traded. The other two aren't up for a contract yet. So do You see where I'm going with this.???

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So you agree that they are loading up the box to stop the run on 1st, and 2nd down(when Najee is runing),, and on 3rd down (when Warren is running) mainly doing something different.
    So think about that a minute.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023