1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for the Haters to Give Coach T Some Love

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Right because if you don’t agree with the old man you are “wrong”

I guess I was always told to respect my elders and that they are wise and all knowing so....

Never mind you are clueless.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m having a nice day. Thank you for asking. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Good to hear my friend! Let’s go Steelers

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Let’s go Steelers

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're lame, the same tired insults to make up for your lack of football knowledge :shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're the one that said Cowher would've had a different gameplan, he didn't, losing at home in 2001 AFCCG as a favorite giving up two special teams TDs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I don't only count SB wins as a measure of success. I count playoff wins. I think that's a fair measure of the quality of a coach if you have the QB to win consistently. If you are good enough to make the playoffs then I think you are good enough to win a playoff game.

If you think regular season record is all that matters than that's your opinion. I disagree with that assessment and also willing to bet $ the players (past and present) don't agree with you either. In fact I'd be willing to bet most coaches agree with me. Give a mediocre coach a HOF QB and odds are he will win most of his games. That's just a fact in today's NFL and the stats prove this point. Give a good coach a HOF QB and they will have rings to prove how good they are. Give a bad coach a HOF QB and they'll probably make the playoffs from time to time...but they will not have success in the playoffs. Playoffs is what separates the pretenders from the true pro's. You can make the playoffs with a bad QB or a bad coach but not consistently and you will most definitely struggle when you do make it. If you want to argue that Tomlin is winning with a poor QB then make that argument...it will support your idea that Tomlin has been a damn good coach the last 10 years. If you think Ben is among the best in the NFL then the lack of playoff wins lies with the HC.

I personally think winning in the playoffs largely falls on the coaching staff. There are a few cases were a team makes the playoffs with less talent or a mediocre QB and can win in the playoffs but it's not consistent...and the data supports that fact that it takes a good QB to be a consistent playoff contender. We have had a good QB so that puts us ahead of 3/4ths the league.

How many playoff games has Tomlin won in the last 10 years? A good coach with a good QB will have a good winning % in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What this thread doesn’t address is that coaches can improve as well. Tomlin has a lot of years in the league, I’m sure he has learned a lot and has applied that to his coaching.

I feel last year put to rest any debate on whether he is a good coach or not, I was souring on him too but not after that season.

I think we are also seeing maybe a different approach to how they attack games, used to be that they just tried to impose their will regardless of matchups, seems like they are taking a more X’s and O’s approach to game planning each team now. Again, that could be all part of Tomlin growing as a coach.

I also think they have some very good assistance now, I think Austin and Canada have made a positive impact.

I know this much, the man has been to two SB’s, winning one of them, never had a losing season and now he is 9-0. He doesn’t suck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    How many of these threads do we really need? seems like someone posts a new one each week abt giving Tomlin love... I dont give into Mob mentality, take that **** somewhere else :hehehe::lolol:;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Fair points Blast and I always appreciate your insight. Once again the problem I have with TOMLIN is when his success occurred. 12 and 10 years ago he inherited a team drafted and built by Bill Cowher. He certainly deserves some credit for still winning the games in those years however since it’s been his team his draft his coaching........3 wins in 10 years. Maybe this year is when the narrative switches. Until then I’ll remain critical and skeptical. I’m as big a Steelers fan as the next guy but am also not a blinded fan boy. Some on here don’t like that and so be it. A difference in opinion is what makes a message board thrive.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    “Underachieved with a stack deck”.

It’s funny how haters take away credit from Tomlin for winning the SB with a roster that was mainly compiled before he got there but don’t give him any credit for how “stacked” the roster has been since. The man has shown that he has a great eye for talent and is very good at developing players.

All of this “it’s championship or bust in Pittsburgh so his regular season success doesn’t matter” talk just sounds stupid when consider how hard it is to win in a SB in the nfl. There are 9 coaches and in the league right now with at least 1 SB and here are their records:

Gruden: 112-105 (5-4)

Carroll: 140-93 (11-9)

Harbaugh: 125-77 (10-7)

Payton: 138-79 (8-7)

Reid: 215-129 (15-14)

Mccarthy: 127-84 (10-8)

Pederson: 41-31 (6-4)

Belichick: 277-132 (31-12)

Tomlin: 142-74 (8-7)

Outside of Belichick, all of those coaches are right around .500 for their playoff careers. The thing about Belichick is, you never see patriot fans trying to discredit him because he hasn’t had much success with anyone but Brady.

I think that one of the main reasons that people “run to praise” Tomlin is because he gets so much unnecessary hate from his own team’s fans. Even with all of his success he’s actually underrated.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    2 special teams TD's is alot different than someone running and throwing all over you, They are fluke plays...Thanks for proving my point

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The other thread on Thanksgiving memories mentioned the 1998 season.
    The next time someone makes it sound like only Tomlin-led teams "play down", remind them of that season.

In 1997, they were 11-5, won their division (2nd best AFC record), and only lost to the SB-winning Broncos by 3 points.
    A year later, the Steelers were at 7-4.
    If they beat the Patriots (who ended up a 9-7 WC team) and 1 of the other 4 games, they go to the playoffs.
    Instead, they lose 5 straight, which included games against the Lions (5-11) and Bengals (3-13).

14. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Lloyd Green blew you argument right out the water . Pete Carroll 1 Super Bowl with Russell Wilson , Mike Mcarthy 1 Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers, Sean Payton 1 Super Bowl with Drew Bress all coaches with HOF QBs with mediocre playoff records. Tomlin haters are so blinded and biased that the fail to look at the coaching landscape and realize the Tomlin is definitely a top 3 or 4 coach at worse in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hey genius, it's the entire body of work that counts. You want to simply count playoff wins in a specific time period because it fits your agenda. Move the goal posts all you like.

Tomlin as a HC has a pretty good body of work in this era of coaching. Only one HC is clearly better in this era of coaching. He probably had the greatest QB of all time. How is he doing now? On par with the other coaches. How did Chuck Noll do without great players? There is a tread for good/great coaches if you can follow that trend.

When looking at the playoff losses we need to have the ability to break down why the team loss. It didn't simply boil down to coaching. Some of you can't recognize that because of the disappointment or because you simply want to blame the HC for everything.

You are wrong if you simply believe that winning in the playoffs falls largely on the coaching staff. Simply because the coaches don't play in the games. Tomlin's bosses would agree with me.

What's the point of having a good QB if he doesn't perform that way in the playoffs? Take a look at Ben's playoff stats. Ben's playoff stats don't measure up to his regular season stats. Ben's playoff performances don't measure up. Ben has almost as many turnovers (29) in the playoffs than TD passes (30). It's difficult for any coach to help the TEAM win games when players make game changing mistakes or don't take care of the ball.

In the Steelers last playoff game Ben contributed 2 turnovers. As a result, the Steelers as a TEAM were not able to over come those turnovers. This ish isn't rocket science. Coaches will tell you that taking care of the football is paramount to any team having success in the regular season, post season, or Superbowl. They say it over and over again. You people don't either don't recognize or don't listen. Studies or analytics proved that when you lose the turnover battle you are going to lose a high percentage of games.

The tragic thing about it is some of you people don't accept or can't recognize that Tomlin is still coaching at a high level. SMH at people who can't recognize quality coaching.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That would be an example of him doing it this year. That was a big game. Harbaugh is a very good coach. The Steelers made adjustments during that game to help them win. The Ravens, on the other hand, tried to get cute coming out of the locker room, and that led to a game-changing interception. You are now shifting your argument and relying on the vague phrase "big games" to try to make it work.

You said he needed to outcoach someone. Given that you didn't offer a time period in that post, it is fair to assume you meant either his entire career or this season. Clearly, he has outcoached someone this year and in his career.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thats all you got? Talk about lame, you always take the bait. Too easy and predictable.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He does take the bait. Hook, line and sinker. Sometimes it just too easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Well this year he will be judged on how he does in the playoffs. If he wins a couple games it will credit your points. If he loses in Rd 1 (or 2 if they have a bye) it will only be a further example of his complete ineptitude come playoff time. His employer agrees lol. His employer could never fire him because of the Rooney rule and we all know that so give it a rest. Here is to hoping times have changed. I’ll believe it when I see it.

You are right about Ben though. Regardless of a weak game plan or coaching staff he simply hasn’t been good enough in the playoffs. You cannot turn the ball over like that in tight big games.

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He will only be judged harshly by Tomlin detractors depending on how the team does in the playoffs. Again, we need to objective and break down why the team loss. Most of the time it boils down to mistakes and player execution.

Not sure what the Rooney rule has anything to do with this after 14 years? That type of narrative speaks of something foul in your mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is called bringing facts to a hyperbole fight.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    But the roster has not been stacked especially on defense until very recently. He’s had Ben.

23. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Nothing foul in my mind at all it’s a common notion. They put a rule into place about hiring minority coaches you really think they would fire one? How would that look to the public eye. I’m not saying he should be fired at this point he’s 9-0 for gods sake. But if the playoff failures continue he absolutely should, but won’t. Then again Bens run is almost over anyways so he has possibly two more shots to win a championship or it won’t matter who the coach is. We had a glimpse of that last season. A franchise QB is more important than a good coach all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Of course if you have both you have a dynasty like NE.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  24. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    I’m not sure that Ben would be a “franchise QB” without really good coaching and a really good team around him. He was game manager status during the first SB and while he clearly played a bigger role in the second SB that team was still carried by a legendary defense. 3rd SB was there to be won for him, couldn’t get it done.

in his entire career the team has never excelled with Ben and the offense leading the way. The only times that the team has been serious contenders during Ben’s era is when the defense has been elite. Ben has had ample opportunities to show that he could lead the team to contend with a stacked offense and mediocre defense and has not been able to get it done. A lot of the playoff shortcomings are on Ben.

You seem to have issues with Tomlin that go beyond football.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This year is the year you can truly judge tomlin or Ben. We are good on all 3 phases