1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for the Haters to Give Coach T Some Love

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 19, 2020.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This thread is hilarious. Man, some of you Tomlin fanboys are just too much!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Same could be said of the Tomlin haters. Like I said, we could do worse. Not a fanboy, just realistic. Tomlin is my 3rd favorite coach in my 51 year lifetime, but he’s pretty close to 2nd.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We are very lucky to be able to expect a competitive season every year and Tomlin/Colbert have provided this. Statistically a team would win a Super Bowl every 32 years. Tomlin brought us one in 13 seasons. That is very good. But I don’t think any Tomlin hater or apologist (anyone who doesn’t agree 100% with the haters) thinks the Steelers have lived up to their potential in the playoffs.

4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    For the record, I am NOT a Tomlin fanboy (I hated those brutal playoff losses in the last couple of years), but I value hard work, decency, thoughtful and principled leadership, dedication, and consideration and respect for others

5. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    But that is where we disagree. I don’t feel TOMLIN has had success at all in the playoffs since Cowhers players have retired. He had some success early on with a defense full of All Pros but since 2010 it’s been a horror show in the big games.

3 wins in 10 years with a generational talent at QB.

When you come out at home vs Blake Bortles and get blown out in the first quarter and a half you are NOT prepared to play. And most knowledgeable fans might not be privy to the game plan however we can see when NO adjustments are made. It’s called looking at the same **** you watched earlier in the game over and over. Like covering slot WRs with LBs and never switching or changing for example.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The odd thing is we do see the team making adjustments this season. I'm not just talking about the offense. I know the Tomlin haters simply say that is all Roethlisberger. I'm talking about the defense. They have adjusted when things weren't working. Of course, I'm wondering where this was during all those years of the high-powered offense of Bell and Brown, but that doesn't discredit what is happening now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher had no answer for New England, losing twice to them at home in the AFCCG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You haters are a joke, the team is 9-0 and fans still complain about the HC :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    The joke is in your pants bro.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The joke is in your empty brain, the team could go 19-0 winning the Super Bowl and clowns like you would still complain about the HC :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Man, your arms must get tired swinging from tomlins balls like that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Exactly. As a Steelers fan the majority of these comments are just disheartening. Backhanded compliments, little to no appreciation, and a sense of entitlement that seems to be rooted in pure ignorance. It’s not easy to win in the NFL.

the “jury’s still out on Tomlin, we have to wait and see” lol. Really? 14 years no losing seasons, 2 SB appearances with 1 ring. Who exactly is he being compared to because it’s obviously not other coaches lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't distinguish between Cowher's player or Tomlin's players. I only know Steelers players.

Ben isn't a generational talent. Polamalu was a generational talent. Brady generational talent. Do you understand the difference? I guess my standards for generational talent is different than yours?

You would figure that most knowledgeable fans would understand that the defense needed some time to be rebuilt. For whatever reasons the organization didn't always draft adequate all pro replacements for the defense over the years. It's not easy to replace great players or units over night. Especially in a league where teams generally have a large majority of roster turnover every 4 or 5 seasons.

Ben was a huge reason the team was behind vs the Jaguars. He was responsible for 2 turnovers early in that game. Knowledgeable fans understand what 2 turnovers mean to the outcome of games regardless of the opposition or final score. Bortles made some plays with his legs and arm but he wasn't the key factor why the Steelers loss that game. Bortles didn't hurt his team by committing turnovers.

The Ben turnovers were the key factor in the outcome of the game. Funny you seem to absolve Ben of any blame for being a generally poor playoff performer over the years.

Tell me what was the game plan vs the Jags and what adjustments were not made?

Why do you think LB's end up on WR's at times for EVERY TEAM in the league?

Any way just keep blaming the coaches for everything regardless of how the players perform. One day in the near future you might be wishing that we still had Tomlin as HC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People don't appreciate what they have. I guess some people can't recognize when they have it good? They want more and more and more championship wins or it's considered a failure. I am fortunate I don't live with that mindset or hang onto the past. I would had enjoyed if we won more championships over the years with Tomlin as HC and Ben as QB. It wasn't in the cards for different reasons. Failing to win more championships doesn't diminish what he and Ben helped the organization accomplish over the years. Stay tuned Tomlin's, Ben's, and the Steelers story is still being written.

Even if the Steelers go on to win the Superbowl this year there will be people that say but............................ Those individuals will still feel cheated or robbed by Tomlin and THE STEELERS for whatever reasons. To bad for them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Look, he's obviously a good coach. His track record even with one of the best organizations and talent. Too be consistently good in that business is hard.

I just find it strange everybody is running to praise him now instead of waiting until season is over. Even Tomlin says the standard is the standard. You want to be praised for regular season wins then go coach the Browns or Bengals. This is the City of Champions. You are praised for Championships and that's it. He's under achieved with a stacked deck hence the criticism.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Scribe you are one of my favorite posters here and I completely agree in terms of Tomlin's performance so far. I mean the team is 9-0! It’s been an amazing ride and when TOMLIN gets blamed for playoff failures you have to praise the man for his regular season consistency. But........ for me it all comes down to how he performs come playoff time. Regular season has never been the issue his record alone speaks to that. Let’s hope he coaches and adjusts this way come January.

18. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Good post. Ben certainly deserves some blame for the playoff failures. His stats in the playoffs are not nearly as good as his regular season stats similar to TOMLIN. I guess both guys come up small in the biggest moments with the exception of Ben vs Arizona in the SB. Let’s hope that changes this year. You can always argue wether it’s the coaching and game plan or player execution and that’s a valid argument. However TOMLIN himself always says it starts and ends with him just like every HC so maybe you should direct some at him as I should direct more at the players failures?

In the end it’s probably somewhere in the middle like most things in life. TOMLIN haters like myself blame him for to much. TOMLIN fan boys like yourself give him to much credit with blinders on.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  19. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Tomlins playoff success and 1 ring 1 appearance were 12 and 10 years ago. With a roster built and drafted by Bill Cowher. Since those players have left and it’s been Mikes roster and draft classes he has won 3 playoff games in 10 years. 1 of those being a Bengals team that literally went full thug at the end of the game to lose in a miraculous fashion. So tell me where exactly is all this time proven success....... I’ll wait.

It’s never been about regular season overall numbers although there has been some 8-8 or 9-7 missing the playoff disappointments there as well. It’s always been about coaching in the big game moments something that since inheriting a championship team early on is nowhere to be found.

Love the avatar btw. Those were some bad boys!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Who said he never did it in his career?

I'm sure that somewhere in his entire coaching career, he has outcoached some bozo.:cool: It just hasn't been in big games since coming to the Steelers. And as @steelersrule6 pointed out, he did beat Harbaugh at home this year, but overall he has a loooooooooooooong way to go to get to .500 in big games as the Steelers head coach.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's hard to compare any given franchise to the statistical average of 32 years. Statistically, the Browns will never win a SB. Statistically, the Patriots win every 3 years. Regardless of the fact that the Steelers win more often than most franchises, you are correct...........nobody in their right mind can contend that the Steelers have done well in the playoffs under Tomlin.

And then there is the totally ambiguous category of "making the best of what he's been given". Apologists will tell you "his" players let him down. That would be the inmates whom he allowed to run the prison.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Stone he won a SB and has been to another. He’s won a big game before regardless of wether it was Cowhers roster or not. He was still the HC and deserves some credit for that.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If I make 1 out of 20 three foot putts, when the average is 1 out of 3, should I get credit for that one I made?:drinks: I guess so, otherwise I would be 0 out of 20.:shrug:

24. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Listen if you read the thread you know my stance on this however you simply can’t say he has NEVER won a big game. It’s just not factually correct. You could say he really hasn’t won a big game except for maybe at KC vs Alex Smith? A few years ago in a very long time......

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The mere fact that Jujubean gave this post a “like” eliminates any credibility.