1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thursday Night Games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Nov 24, 2016.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    How does everyone feel about Thursday night games, in general? Personally, I don't like them. It seemed to me that the Steelers have had the short end of the stick, with these Thursday games. Yesterday I saw a tweet that, since the Thursday night games started, back in 2006, the Steelers are the only team that has had a Sunday road game, followed by a Thursday road game.... And it's happened twice.

2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    i like thursday games especially if the steelers play although their record is not to good

i guess the nfl decided that playing in cleveland was close enough and enough steeler fans are there that it could be a home game
    but a part of me thinks
    goodell tries to sheet the steelers anyway he can

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As odd as this sounds, to me, Thursday Night Football is overkill to me. Never mind the games are demanding to begin with, having just four days of rest is straining to the human body.

How does this have anything to do with the games? Lack of rest = lack of quality. All the more reason that much of the games are subpar to blowouts. Making the games against mainly division rivals did nothing to absolve any issues.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I love Thursday night football
    Hell I wish we had Tuesday Wednesday and Friday night football too

5. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Just to be clear... From strictly a viewing standpoint, I don't mind Thursday night games. But for the players and the teams involved, I think it's a terrible idea. Especially with the Steelers going road - road and no other team having done that... Ever.

6. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    I pity the Giants having to come to our house after we had 10 days off
    It's almost like having a bye and like the Ravens found out.....

carry on

7. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I'm not a fan of TNF for exactly some of the reasons othere mentioned. But I dislike games being in Europe or Mexico even more. I wouldn't mind if the NFL tried NFL Europe again. I actually enjoyed watching that back in 90's, games were televised every week in the summer and it was a nice appetizer before the NFL season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Says who? Who was the tweet from?

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I love having TNF. Me and a large group of buddies put all the TNF games in a hat every year and which ever we draw, we go to. We got KC this year on Dec 7. We choose Thursday because none of us want to miss any Sunday games. If TNF games were stopped, my group would be dead in the water too, which would suck. We have a blast on our trips and drawing an unknown game is fun in itself.

10. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
  11. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Love Thursday night Football!!! I specially like this year's Thanksgiving day matchups. Hate a dominating team crushing a less than dominating team makes for a boring lopsided affair.

12. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    prepare to hate

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I normally don't care for Thursday night games because they normally suck, but if a Thursday is a holiday, I'm all about it since there is usually nothing else on TV.

14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Not a fan of TNF especially since the Steelers don't seem to like it much.

So far today, home team wins. I hope the Steelers break the trend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The NFL only cares about money, they don't care about players safety with these TNF. The majority of these games are blowouts, a disadvantage for the road team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

BINGO! :dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    AQL is right, it's overkill. NFL being greedy. They say they care about player safety, but then they schedule games on four days rest and still want to go to an 18-game schedule.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I also think the league is risking over exposure at this point as well. It would be one thing if they were marquee matchups but a lot of times they are just games for the sake of games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It is more about the sake of games though. Roger Goodell is hell-bent to get to that $25 billion dollar revenue mark by 2025. The issue is that, to achieve such high financial success, the games have to be better in quality. Oversaturation will lead to a decrease, which in turn, leads to lower revenue; something Goodell does not want to see.

Then again, adopting the NCAA tactics like shorter commercial breaks can assist his ambition.... but knowing Goodwill... this will not happen.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing about the breaks though is that the league I'm sure loves them because of the revenue they generate through advertising but fans hate them because of the time it takes for all of them to air.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My idea then would be to increase the commerical slots pricing in addition to limiting the amount of times a commercial can repeat by 1. This way, Darwinism can truly work it's magic.

Does this seem a bit draconian for fellow sponsors? Absolutely, but if the NFL wants to find the best sponsors then said sponsors will have to pay up.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Lincoln seems to love the NFL because they show those ridiculous Maconaughey commercials ad nauseum. I get mad every time I see them too. LOL! I wish they would charge them triple! Maybe then I wouldn't have to listen to him say ridiculous things over and over like "sometimes you have to go backward to go forward" and "it's not about huggin' trees..." Sigh. So lame. Thanks Roger. LOL!

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Better stated by Ben Volin of the BostonGlobe;

"But surprisingly, the NFL could tinker with the way it presents commercials during games. Rolapp said that the league is “looking very hard” at the number and timing of commercials, currently at around 70 per game."

70 per game? Whatever the current price is to have an advertisement slotted in a game has to increase without question due to the emergence of social media. Advertisement can be done within said ecosystem with games going on..

... it is called "hashtagging."

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I was thinking before that most of the stuff I buy based off seeing it in ads is more from what I see online as opposed to during a commercial because I have dvr and really don't even watch that many commercials. Viral marketing is honestly probably the most effective form these days.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting because Roger faces a double standard with this. He does not want to market said material yet his employees do a great job doing so.

For him it is really lose-lose.