1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Three Rivers Stadium...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Jan 30, 2012.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I found the 1995 AFC Championship on dvd on ioffer.com and also the last Pirates playoff game ever played in Three RIvers (also Bonds' last home game in a Pirates uniform) for $12 last week.

When watching old games at Three Rivers, does anybody else actually get sad/mad watching, and thinking about how the team/city just flushed 30 years of history down the drain when they imploded Three Rivers?! My opinion will always be that they should have invested the money like Chicago did to Soldier Field and save the stadium. Suites should have been replaced, the entire playing surface replaced with the latest state of the art field turf, etc. That stadium had too much damn history in it to just get rid of it...not to mention the '79 Pirates...

For the first 50 years of the franchise, the Steelers SUCKED! The pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place the year the stadium opened, with Bradshaw & Blount actually being drafted the year the stadium opened. Three Rivers Stadium is when the magic started...

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes! Not even a native `Burgher, but I still feel sad, whenever I bring myself to watch the implosion of that historic Stadium...
    Posted a thread on the old board, about how I was surprised people could attend that, as a "celebration", and party, and cheer it being brought down... :(

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can relate. I live in NY and have season tickets to the Yankees, it was really sad to see the old stadium go, so much history.

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's easy to say what someone else should do with their money. Just sayin'.

;)

5. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Ahh, some of us are old enought to remember Forbes Field. I saw the last ball hit over the right field roof at Forbes Field by Willie Stargell. My brother actually played in a WPIAL playoff game there too. I have fond memories of Forbes. Used to go early and watch BP back in the day and also watch that cop that directed traffic in Oakland that was on Candid Camera.

I also had the opportunity to attend opening day at Three Rivers. Still have the ticket stub and the program from the first game. I also attended the 74 allstar game there, and for the icing, watched my Dad throw out a first pitch there in the late 70's.

But as things go, I think it is better now with two stadiums. I like them both. I really don't miss Forbes or Three Rivers all that much.

rutan

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Heck no I love the new stadiums they rock

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You also want 25 game seasons where every game looks like last night's Pro Bowl.

8. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ahh, some of us are old enought to remember Forbes Field. I saw the last ball hit over the right field roof at Forbes Field by Willie Stargell. My brother actually played in a WPIAL playoff game there too. I have fond memories of Forbes. Used to go early and watch BP back in the day and also watch that cop that directed traffic in Oakland that was on Candid Camera.

I also had the opportunity to attend opening day at Three Rivers. Still have the ticket stub and the program from the first game. I also attended the 74 allstar game there, and for the icing, watched my Dad throw out a first pitch there in the late 70's.

But as things go, I think it is better now with two stadiums. I like them both. I really don't miss Forbes or Three Rivers all that much.

rutan

:bowdown: Dag dude, you're even older than I am! : :drinks:

9. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    the 1995 afc championship game? i don't know if i could endure that game again. that game took about fifteen years off my ticker. that game wasn't even enjoyable to watch.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I didn't watch a single down of the Pro Bowl but what I saw of it on the sports channels today was enough to sicken me. Goodell must have had a hard-on watching that game.

11. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

True story, LMAO.

12. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Three Rivers was definitely better as far as crowd noise.

13. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I also sadly saw the demise of Forbes Field where I many times saw Roberto Clemente field a liner off the right field wall and throw the runner out after he rounded first. Where Mazeroski blasted the Yankees out of the 60 world series with that epic homer.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I still have that game on VHS and watched it a few years ago while packing stuff up to move. I miss that team, not so much NOD but the defense was a monster.

15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm from Leetsdale. When I was home on leave after three rivers bit the dust. I could stand in my Mother's kitchen and look at three rivers stadium. When they blew it down they carted it to the empty Bethlehem Steel Plant. It may still be there as far as I know. My Mother passed away and I haven't been to the Leetsdale house since.

Edit. Actually I used to look at the Steel plant. Mom passed before the implosion. I saw the rubble as I passed the plant thinking I could see it from her house. Just hit me she died before it was blown down

16. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Three Rivers was awesome! Such a loud stadium. I get frustrated with Heinz because i don't think it is nearly as loud and it takes way too long to get in. I swear only 2/3rds of the stadium is fell for the first drive or two of each game.

That 95 afc champ game was a classic. Play of the game was Willie williams tackle of Lamont Warren from the backside on 3rd and 1. I still have Brentson Buckner's chin strap from that game. He threw it into the crowd and i caught it and held on with everything i had. I was only 12 at the time. Great memories of that place.

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly what I was thinking. Is this a look at the future? Is this really what he wants? Games where you can't even remember all the touchdowns that happened even with a paper and pen? No man, Goodell included, could possibly enjoy that game. If I were him or anyone associated with the NFL at all, I would have been mortified.

High scoring games happen. But they are special. When 6 games every week go over 60 points and 800 passing yards, nothing means anything.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fond fond memories of the place.

19. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    lol that's true

20. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That stadium was ok for football but it sucked for baseball. There were so many seats where you could not see parts of the field for a baseball game. It was also basically the same stadium they had in Philly and Cinci. The atrificial turf was terrible too (esp for baseball).

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    The noise in Three Rivers was unreal. Unfortunately I was never blessed to attend a Steelers game live until 2004, well after TRS was imploded. But the noise during the opening kickoff on tv while watching it was crazy. Then when they started doing the "DEFENSE.....doom doom.....DEFENSE!!!!!" It's like I could feel the stadium shaking through my subwoofer 17 years later...

I'm one of the biggest nostalgics you'll ever meet. My ex wife used to give me grief all the time about it. But I can't help it, the new stadiums are nice, but they just don't have the nostalgia, and definitely do NOT have the atmosphere that TRS had. Nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise...

22. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. So much history at TRS.I like Heinz Field,But it takes a backseat to
    TRS.I would have saved/renovated it.We all know all the Historic games
    that was played there.That place was a Landmark.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The problem with Three Rivers was the infrastructure was bad and imbedded in concrete. To just fix the sewer lines required demolishing the concrete. There was no feasable way to save that structure.

24. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't know that. :shrug: ( No wonder they demolished it then).

25. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    cleveland has the same problem only all of the s**t is above ground.