1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Look there’s nothing you can do about it, so you should stop voicing your opinion or complaining as some would say.
    The fact you are complaining only gives the people complaining about the “ complainers “ something to complain about. ( sarcasm off)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It has nothing to do with firing a coach. Only hiring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Look, this shouldn't be a racial thing, it will only get the thread killed! I said that coercion toward any race is a bad thing. If you want to keep pissing about the semantics, I don't care but you are just going to get this and other threads locked.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The rule was put in place because qualified minorities coaches couldn't get interviews for jobs, it's not just for blacks, Ron Rivera is a minority also :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    What does Cincinnati have to do with anything? That's your question? It's reasonable to compare what is happening to one football team to another. If you read history, maybe you remember there was a point in time that in WW2 that Germany invaded Russia and cost themselves the war possibly. The French invaded Russia in previous history and cost themselves as well. I imagine you would be the adviser to Hitler that said "What does Napoleon have to do with anything?"

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :huh::huh::huh::huh:

The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee.

It was created as a reaction to the 2002 firings of head coaches Tony Dungy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dennis Green of the Minnesota Vikings, at a time when Dungy had a winning record and Green had just had his first losing season in ten years. Shortly afterwards, U.S. civil rights attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran released a study showing that black head coaches, despite winning a higher percentage of games, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Former NFL players Kellen Winslow and John Wooten then put together a self-described "affinity group" of minority scouts, coaches, and front-office personnel, to advocate for the rule's creation.[6]

7. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Yeah, I guess you would have been a great adviser to those people in history (ie Gandhi, MLK, Rosa Parks). Look there's nothing you can do about it so go sit at the back of the bus or let the British kill your people. Everyone in this world can do something about anything they want. You can't do anything by doing absolutely nothing.

You like watching poor quality football and that's fine. Accept it, chew on it, embrace it, and unleash hell with it. Sounds good to me.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe you should go root for the Bengals, since the Steelers aren't playing up to your standards :shrug:.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Getting minorities interviews is also part of the rule, teams have to interview at least 1 minority for a HC opening or a GM opening.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Give it a rest dude.

11. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    I have respect for any organization that can make changes when changes are necessary. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just wondering how you've allowed yourself, as a Steelers fan, to be satisfied with what is on the field today. Again, no worries, I'm not going to personally attack your taste, but at some point this brand of football is not acceptable. I'm just pointing out that most fans that are enabling are sounding like Bengals fans. They were happy to be 8-8 and be 1st round playoff losses. So actually, YOU are the one rooting for the standard of the Bengals.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess you missed the sarcasm. I thought putting ( sarcasm off) at the end would of been a hint I was speaking tongue in cheek.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I stated it...The "Rooney Rule" is BECAUSE of Rooney...

Do you then think the Steelers would turn around and fire ( in some people's minds ) a good Coach...Who is s Black Coach

14. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    So you're on my side? LoL I feel like I've been bombarded. I'm like a honey badger in a corner going after everyone! I don't even know what to think any more. Ha Anyway, I love everyone on here and hope that they are all happy and healthy. After all, it's only football.

• Like Like x 2
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You need to give it a rest, because you don't know what the heck you're talking about :facepalm:.

16. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

You really think that Tomlin and the Steelers weren't competing for a Super Bowl? I feel he's competing every year. Sure, I get frustrated just like anyone else - no reason in the world the Steelers should have lost to Jax at home. But every year the Steelers are in the thick of things and it's much better to be there than totally out of the picture mid-season. So lets say the Steelers get rid of Tomlin, how much time does the next guy get to get them to the SB? How many "losing" seasons will be acceptable?

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe the Rooney's should fired Cowher after he missed the playoffs three years in a row :shrug:.

18. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    8-8 is the new standard. Bengals, Browns usually 4 wins a season. Split with the Ravens and that's five wins one season. HOF qb gets you two wins a season. Many more games left to at least get you a 500 mark. Not so great bragging rights when you think about it.
    Steelers probably gave Tomlin more free agents with respectable paychecks than Cowher.
    The tight end from the chargers that didnt workout.
    Hayden, Fitzpatrick, our newest corner from the chiefs that I cant recall his name. Tight end from the 49ers. All to allow Tomlin to shine. Now he has practically number one players at every position on defense.
    Tee bow embarrassed him. Jaguar's embarrassed him, Patriots own him but most teams too.
    What stamp or personality has Tomlin declared as a positive to this team ?
    What factor do you see that tells you, that was smart of Mike ?
    He was a breath of fresh air when Cowher left. Cowhers coaches probably got more freedom at the start and got Cowhers players on board to make things happen.
    Coaches and players left and now we have total Tomlin.
    To me the Rooneys handed him the keys to a car he can't drive.
    Winning and championships are the goals and it's all about what have you done for me lately?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe you should try making some sense instead of just being silly and argumentative.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They weren't happy to be 8-8, what did you expect them to win a Super Bowl with Duck at QB :facepalm:. I lived through those lean years without a SB win 1980-2005, so this is nothing.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe you should pay attention, you might learn something. You're just making stuff up to fit your narrative :facepalm:.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Go ahead.... beat your drum. You might wake up someday but I'm guessing it's too late for you.

24. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    There's competing for the Super Bowl like the Saints, Chiefs, New England, Los Angeles Rams, Ravens (in appearance now), now Green Bay, 49ers (now) (I feel these teams are always around or now showing that they are the real deal) and then there's competing for the Super Bowl like the Cowboys, Vikings, Steelers, Bengals (when they made the playoffs), Bills....Just Playoff fodder. No chance to win in New England for the Steelers. They aren't going to do anything because they will be outcoached eventually. I don't think they've been close. The AFC championship game vs the Patriots was an embarrassment. It's not like the Steelers were in that game to the end. It was over by the middle of the 3rd quarter. The other years, they couldn't beat the teams they were supposed to and couldn't pull of a Tennessee Titans like run. Is Mike Vrabel better than Tomlin? Sure. Hostile environments and they win 2 in a row. Yikes. That's a well-coached team. THAT is competing for the Super Bowl. I'll accept alot of losing seasons as long as there is an appearance of progress. Cowher had losing seasons, but I never felt like they were checked out to low ceiling. Pieces were being put in place and the philosophy was there. I'm not sure what the heck Tomlin is even talking about half the time. Embrace the challenge, we'll unleash hell, accept our situation. Ok, so why are the results the same? Steelers are pushovers now. Raiders, Jets pushed them around in back to back years. That is an embarrassment.

25. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I wasn’t insulting you. I legitimately wanted to know what you were smoking ✌️

listen, I told you to look at things that COACHES actually do in a game: time management, pregame strategy and mid game adjustments, creating mismatches moving our strengths vs their weaknesses, etc.

I truly can’t remember a game when I thought afterwards that tomlin dominated in any of these. Please share a time you remember him crushing that whole list. And certainly remind me which ravens game, go for it!

hell, simple time management alone is an impossibility and I’ve given up all hope to the point I’m just numb to it by now.

you responded with “scoreboard!... if juju doesn’t fumble I mean” and “the ravens lost last week though!”

My response to you is that you didn’t even remotely begin to address what I said, and your proofs are basically worthless. If you don’t see why i hope someone else can explain it to you because I don’t have the energy for it.

be well and congrats D Shell!

• Like Like x 1