1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Last Night

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 10, 2019.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    James Washington - Please play this good in the regular season...Please..:beg:

Mason Rudolph - Night and day difference from last pre-season. I think we got a glimpse of the future last night. He will be your backup before the end of pre-season.

Devin Bush - It is still early, but this kid looks as advertised. I am anxious to see how he does next week with more starters out there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bennie Snell - Im not giving up on the kid or anything, but he was the disappointment of the night for me. I wish he looked that slow and easy to tackle when he played PSU last year.

Daniel McCullers - Is to easy to block. Batch and Pompeanni were siging his praises cause he made a couple of tackles. Reality is he got stood up and blown off the ball more often than not.

Josh Dobbs - I like Dobbs but his backup spot is in clear jeopardy. He made some good throws, but he also made some terrible throws. He got bailed out on a bad pick by a flag. He runs well, but runs more often than he should because he cant make all the throws. I am wondering at this point if he even makes this roster. :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dobbs might be trade bait. Had better command but Rudolph came in with a better command and looked like we all hoped.

Devon Bush is just what the doctor ordered and solidifies a major need.

Lets see what Snell does behind the 1sts before writing him off.

I can't for the life of me understand why McCullers is taking up a roster spot.

Washington broke out last night which was exciting to see. Need to see it consistent but a great start.

Adeniyi was solid in run support and showed he will be a force going forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The kid from Oregon mondoux (sp?) looks like he needs more of a look. Not too shabby from what I saw. Would like to see him earlier in the next game to see if it's real or not. Nice push.:cool:

4. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    My thoughts on last night? FIRST PRE-season game? Way too early to tell much at all. Don't put much stock into anything I saw. THIRD pre-season game will show a lot more to judge things by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    My take on the game was it looked a sloppy as I would expect for it being so early in preseason. What I like about the game

* Boz looks like he is back
    * Bush is living up to the hype so far. He is going to help the defense on this team. Defense is faster now then it has been in years
    * Ulysees is on fire. We have to find a spot for this guy
    * I thought Dobbs looked good but I like the steadiness and pocket passer Rudolph has become
    * Banner looks in such good shape and steady.
    * Justin Lane did not look good at all. In fact some of the safeties or corners really stood out other then to get burned alot.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    6'-7" 348#, that's the only reason.

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I really have been rooting for this guy, but he just can't put it together. He's been here too long to not seem to be improving.
    Maybe try putting him on the OL? Although if he screws up there it could torpedo a season.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't get it either. Last preseason Tomlin admitted Mccullers is flawed, then they signed him for 2 more years.
    If he had any Oline potential, It seems like Munchak would have spotted it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    In sum, I saw encouraging things from a lot of players I had high expectations of, and those that weren’t too good have 3 more games to improve.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He reminds me of Switowski on the Longest Yard. Physically impressive but wouldn't hurt a fly. Yet if they can get him mad I don't think anyone out there could stop him. Problem is he is never played angry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Only 1 game but my early analysis of the draft was pretty spot on... Bush - real deal. D Johnson - Already not playing? Could be a sign of things to come and a bust. Layne - Meh. Project. Snell - I thought he'd be a lot better. Looked disappointing. Gentry - I forgot about him but hopefully pans out. Sutton Smith - Everybody hyping him up and did nothing. Buggs - Might be one of 2-3 players actually serviceable from this draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Bennie had first real NFL game jitters while Jalen Samuels looked like he was the 2nd yr guy who understood what his role is. Not a knock against either just Bennie needs to settle down in the next game. It didn't help that his one dimensional play meant that the Bucs could stack the box which they did a lot last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    DJ had a late week injury didn't he? I think they held him out as a precaution. In the meantime some the many WR's that had the opportunity to step up didn't. I felt underwhelmed by the defensive backfield over all not just Layne. Looked like they couldn't cover scrubs let alone if Evans and Jackson had played.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I guess, I don't know. I didn't like that pick and think our whole draft went to **** after it. We should have traded up the few spots to snag Metcalf. He's the receiver we needed. Then we followed it up with a project corner.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I predict that the backup QB who loses out will not have trade value. I don't know why people always seem to think our rejects are in demand elsewhere. If we even got a 7th for our rejected backup QB I'd be surprised and impressed.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Snell had no help from the line. He strikes me as the type of guy who will be fine with blocking but isn't going to create much on his own other than running someone over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Bush looked pretty good I said he was gonna be a bust tho oops lol. Rudolph looks improved the throw to Gentry was nice putting it only where a 6’8 guy is gonna get it. Looked a lot better than what they were saying in camp. James Washington carries this over to the regular season he’s gonna be legit. I wanna see snell behind the starters before I say he’s not gonna be good. Justin layne has me worried a bit. Gilbert the LB looked good. Edmunds missed tackles that he should probably make. I want Rudolph to see the field first next game tho . It’s preseason week 1 so a lot of it will change

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My take - about a million penalties:)

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    1st quarter - Justin Layne is way skinny and just gave up a lot of cushion. I can see why they have been saying he should sit most of this season. When the LOLB Ola is converging on the WR screen at the same time as the CB, that's a lot of cushion by the CB.

Terrell Edmunds one missed tackle and another where he flew in the backfield then got bumped and fell down. Missed opportunity on getting a tackle for no gain, but it went for 6 or 7.

Bush had a nice first quarter, especially on the PBU. First to react to the screen and had some nice tackles. He was unblocked on a few but he read nicely and then reacted.

Chick seemed to be around the ball alot and Ola was active as well. Good pressure by Ola and cannot believe they didn't call holding on the OL one time. Ola was at ROLB at that point.

Nice snag by Washington.

Johnny Holton showing some nice punt return defense but the punter had some nice hang time too

Looked like Johnson at RG and Banner at RT. I think Johnson was the guy who gave up the pressure when Dobbs was sacked. Thought Dobbs fumbled on that one, but replay wasn't clear.

20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    2nd quarter - Hell of a play by Bush and Ola on that 4th down stop. Esp Bush.

Snell was ho hum but the oline didn't help much. Dobbs made some great runs.

Another nice play by Dobbs to Washington. Switzer gotta make that catch.

Damn bad azz catch by Washington on that toe tap, too bad it was out. Rudolph-Washington TD was sweet.

Spencer heck of a job to catch that punt but fair catch that one lol

Dirty Red with a real nice strip sack

1st half winner on defense - Bush, loser - Layne
    1st half winner on offense - James Washington, loser - offensive line

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think we can nickname him upload_2019-8-10_10-30-55.jpeg but with more hair. :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Could this be a preview of how Bell will look behind the Jets OL? :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1st team defense didn’t look good 1st drive, but it was minus 75% of the starters vs some good talent of the bucs who were playing lots of starters.

Boswell looked good, All 3 QBs played a high level game. I’d give Rudolph and Hodges slightly better grades. Dobbs can make some plays, but I don’t feel he’s the best suited guy to back up Ben, Rudolph would be more similar and run a system closest to Ben.
    Very impressed with Devlin Hodges, he should make it to the final cut round past the 75.
    A lot of his guys dropped balls and they were great passes.
    James Washington was lights out, he plays like that he will be the #2 WR over Montcrief
    Devin Bush I am so glad I bought his Jersey, lights out. Dang, that was some 1st game. Hope he sustains it.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Chuks struggled
    Washington will have a breakout season
    Layne is raw
    Snell 4.6 speed showed last night
    Dobbs is still inconsistent with his throws
    Bush is good as advertised
    Edmunds nice PBU
    Rudolph looks improved