1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THOUGHTS ON HARGRAVE.....ENOUGH PUSH???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Dec 3, 2017.

1. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Not complaining........but was hoping to be getting a little more consistent pressure from him..thoughts..?

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think he’s doing well imo

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Welcome to the Board, no need to shout in a thread title. Hargrave is getting enough push it is what goes on with the rest that needs adjusting. If he is opening up huge holes in the Oline then they need to have guys exploiting those otherwise you have seen what happens with cut back runs

4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Typically in a 3-4 NT you don't need push as much as you need a guy to stand his ground. I did see Hargrave get man handled against the packers on several run plays actually. He was getting pushed backwards. It got me thinking how well Hargrave has been playing because I really hadn't payed much attention to him. Our inconsistency in stopping the run had me wondering what the problem was. Heyward and Tuitt are studs. Shazier is a tough guy to judge. Some plays or games he's amazing....other times he's awful. Overall I'm thinking Shazier is not the best run stopper. Vince Williams seems above average at stopping the run. Our OLB's seem inconsistent against the run as well. Just seems odd to me that we can have Tuitt and Heyward up front and be below average at stopping the run. Would love to hear a non biased analysis on Hargrave. Maybe a better NT would help. Seems to me we are giving up the most ground on inside runs and we are prone to over pursuing which usually means we are not gap sound and playing undisciplined. Maybe a combination of problems rather than Hargrave not doing his job well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers go without a nose tackle quite a bit, so Hargrave's snaps have been limited. He isn't the problem against the run. The problem is the linebackers overrunning things and taking themselves out of too many plays. Shazier is the worst culprit on that one. The safeties' inability to cover for those mistakes makes them even more costly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. Discipline, lack of tackling are the culprits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And yet shazier led the team in tackles againt the packers with 8, on the season he has 87 combined tackles 67 solo 3 picks and 11 pass defenses, he is a pretty busy guy at game time....

• Like Like x 2
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Watching the Seahawks/Eagles game last night and watching Bobby Wagner was a treat. The Eagles sold motion on a run play overloading to one side and as a huge gap opened up the Eagles running back cut back and looked to have a huge gain. Wagner read the play waited in his position and once the RB committed he flowed to the hole, and destroyed the back at the line, blowing up the play.

This is VW and Shazier's biguest weakness, they take the first open gap and just go 100 mph towards it instead of reading the RB and flowing to the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He's doing great. I think the Steelers found their future DT.

Good quality draft pick too. Will he be a pro bowler? Most likely not. But guys, like Joel Steed and Casey Hampton were often over looked as well. It's the life of a 3-4 defensive lineman.

They are hard to find and they often get no respect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Yes this is true. I not only see Shazier do this with regularity I see our safeties take the same approach to the run. It kills us. I'm very concerned this could be the cause of our death in the playoffs if we don't figure something out.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The days of NTs like Steed and Hampton are gone. In reality, those guys wouldn't be on the field much in today's NFL.

With that said, Steed and Hampton were great players for their respective eras and both were highly underrated.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think that is part of Hargrave's problem, the era he plays in. The Steelers take their nose tackle out of the game quite a bit.

I think he would be better in a 4-3 defense. Actually, I think that is true of every lineman the Steelers have, though they don't really have the a 4-3 end type.

13. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
  14. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    add dupree to the list, he runs past plays more then all of them.

15. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Just like Jarvis Jones.