1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DSteelerCT, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ben is a very good QB, and we would be better off extending him. However, similar to Eli Manning, he's a two time SB winning QB who also benefited from team concept wins. I don't believe he's in the same universe of a Manning, Brady, Rogers or Brees who can carry the team on his back and put up 35-40 points at will to pull out high scoring wins on a consistent basis.

I also don't believe any of the above QB have won a SB since inking their big contracts. These contracts are just too detrimental to the team

If we extend him, we cannot pay him at their level, as it will hamper our ability to build strength in other parts of the team. Here's to hoping Ben is on the same page, takes a moderate contract so we can use the money elsewhere, which is what we'll need if he wants to win another SB.

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As I agree with you and hope Ben takes a hometown discount I doubt he will. But we will have no choice because we have zero chance to be competitive without him. We all remember the time between Bradshaw to Ben. We will just have to manage with mediocre players in our positions and hope we strike lighting in a bottle.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    while in theory you make perfect sense i think he has earned whatever he gets
    how many times had ben been out on the field when he couldn't walk or move his hand or could barley throw the ball

Did he pull a jay cutler and come off the field crying
    hell no he gave this organization his all and i think they should reward him for it

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I put Ben right up there with Brady and Manning. He's been to 3 Superbowls, won 2 of them and was a Mendenhall fumble away from a probable 3rd Lombardi Trophy.

Give Ben an O-Line and he will continue to give us the best chance of achieving more greatness.

Let him walk and it may be a long, long time til we see another.

5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    The best chance we have for him to give a hometown discount, is because he married a Pittsburgh girl. Here's to hoping she puts the pressure on to have her stay close to home/family!;)

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've always referred to Ben as an (almost) elite quarterback. I do believe he is most certainly a franchise quarterback and those don't come around too often (see Steelers era 1983-2004). I hope the Steelers can extend Ben and do it in a cap friendly way. I think he gives us our best chance to get back in Super Bowl contention over the next 3-5 years. Having said that, if an owner comes along and has a brain fart and offers a couple of first rounders and more for Ben, I think the Steelers should seriously entertain the offer.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

What about TWO interceptions by Ben? I love how people conveniently forget his poor play in that game and blame Mendy for the loss.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben played below the line in two of the three Super Bowls he played in. He really sucked it up against Seattle and the two picks against the Packers, one a pick six, were killers. He had a magical drive against the Cards, thanks in large part to Holmes, but really only played slightly above average the rest of that game. That's one reason I don't think he's evolved to elite status, his performance in Super Bowls has been mostly lacking.

9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will be surprised if Ben gives us any kind of discount. There are too many other teams that would want to have a QB of his caliber. Plus, I am sure that Ben doesn't feel that the Steelers have treated him like a franchise QB, so he will probably try to stick it to them.

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    people forget how good he was in the three games previous to that super bowl. we don't get there without him at all. he had one of the best first halves at Denver you will ever see. he is elite the most disappointing thing about bens career is going be how he could have done with just an average oline

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    No argument here. He did play lights out to help get us there but you'll have to admit that his play has mostly been below the line once he got to the big game. I know Bradshaw had his flaws, but once he got to the Super Bowl he always seemed to come up big at crucial times in every Super Bowl he played in.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He was very good in 2005. I really think if Cowher had stuck around and made Ben a more disciplined player and person, Ben would be a far better QB than he is these days. He's already a very good QB, but I think he could have been better if there had been more discipline and more attention to details throughout his career.

I wouldn't say Ben was very good in those 3 games leading up to the SB. He wasn't very good against Indy and wasn't good in the playoffs. He was mediocre in 2 of 4 games. He has also had quite a few other mediocre playoff games in his career if you actually go back and look at the stats.

Ben isn't worth what all these top QB's are getting and if we give him one of those massive contracts for 5-7 years, this franchise is going to be in serious trouble.

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't pay a player because he's played tough over the years.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ben has said a bunch that he wants to retire here and has recently said he knows the steelers can't handle 18 million a year cap wise.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll believe it when I see it. His agent will convince him otherwise I'm sure.

16. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Dude that was mendys fault we lost that game

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree. It reminds me of how people blamed Reggie Wayne for the pick 6 that Peyton threw that cost the Colts the Super Bowl against the Saints.

Just like you can't blame Wayne for Peyton's crappy throw, you can't blame Mendy for that fumble.

18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh c'mon. We get that you don't like Ben, but be honest. He was lights out versus Indy and Denver and pretty good versus Cincinnati. Not at my comp right now to get the exact stats but he was like 7TDs and 1 INT in those playoffs and at the time had the highest post season QB rating ever.

Your twisting of reality really hurts your credibility.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Damned if we do damned if we don't. If we pay him a huge contract, won't be able to put a team around him, let him walk, we're not winning without him. Sorry, I'm not one who believes we will strike gold on our very next QB. Only chance is if he meets them halfway, works out a deal that won't cripple the team. I think he might, I believe he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, finish his career here.

20. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    It's so obvious you hate Ben!

21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay, define very good? What were his stats vs Indy? I already said he was very good vs Cinci and Denver. I said he was good in 2 of his 4 playoff games. He was pretty mediocre vs Indy. Here, I'll save you the trouble.

He was under 60% completion rate. Under 100 QB rating. 2 TD's and 1 pick. Under 200 yards passing. That's a pretty mediocre game.

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? What did I write that's not the truth? He was mediocre in 2 of 4 playoff games in 2005 and has been mediocre in several other playoff games. That's a fact supported by his stats, which I've posted here in the past.

Whether I hate or love Ben is irrelevant. I have stats that back up my posts. Some of you think Ben has single handedly gotten us to 3 SB's and you ignore the fact that he was mediocre in 2 of those SB's and mediocre in several other playoff games.

Ben is a very good QB, but he has a ton of down games. He's extremely inconsistent, not just on a weekly basis, but from one play to the next even.

23. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

dude the one int was when our backup center got pushed into him... the other the ball got ripped out of wallaces his hands..go watch the tape...

24. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Stats stats stats. Well the stats say Ben is having a better season than your Tom Brady look them up!!!

25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    My Tom Brady? I'm not a Pats fan, I'm a Steelers fan. Brady is not my QB.