1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on being a visitor in Oakland Coliseum

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WinTheNorth, Apr 18, 2012.

1. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I live near Oakland CA I would love to go see the game on 9/23 but i've always been intimidated by the reputation of the coliseum. I'm not exactly a meek guy but I'm not too interested in having my experience ruined by a bunch of a-holes. Anyone have experience?

Right now I'm thinking I'd rather go to a neighborhood bar and exchange smack-talk where it's more like 5 against 100 than against 25000 :yeehaw:

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I've never been to a Raiders game, but I think as long as you stay out of the end zone "black hole" area you'll be fine. Those are the crazy guys who always get on tv. I think the rest of the crowd should be pretty normal. Normal for Oakland, at least.

3. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I went to the SF-Steelers MNF last season. There were tons of Steelers fans, but we did have trouble w/ some possible 'gangsta' elements in our section. Apparently one of the SF players had tix for some friends from his neighborhood in LA.

I hear that there is a strong showing by the 'gangsta' element for Raider games. Not sure if it is worth it to make the trip.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  5. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i live in LA and i would say that 75% of the people you see wearing their gear are pretty shady looking. if going to a Raider game in Oakland is anything like going to a Dodger game is, i certainly wouldnt take any kids and i would watch my back if you plan on wearing anything Steelers.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

If you plan on going, do NOT wear any Steelers related outfit. The Raider fans will heckle you till you leave the game. They are relentless. :superman:

And if George Atkinson is at the game, he will give you a shot in the head when you're not looking.

7. Sir bomb

Sir bomb New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I went to the steelers-raiders game when ben threw those two picks for a score. I must say I was surprised how many people wearing black and gold including in the Black Hole. You just need to stay away from the drunk ones. Overall they were all cool.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Do what we did when we invaded the dog pound. Get the biggest dudes you know that are steelers fans and take them with you.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Being in the stands during the game wouldn't concern me. It's the parking lot after the game that would make me a little pensive. Just remember strength in numbers and all that. :towel:

10. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Steelers home games aren't exactly friendly either. I took my cousin who is a Raven fan to a game and it was pretty bad and he was with me. Trying to start fights, not serving him at Primanti Brothers. I can't imagine how a Oakland game will be.

11. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Wow, that's horrible. Why can't people just be friendly with each other? I would have been pretty angry if a restaurant didn't serve me over some football attire

12. LA_STEEL

LA_STEEL Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I live in LA and we are going to the game in a party bus, theres about 30 of us going only 8 of us are steeler fan's the rest of friends are all raider fans. so dont worry there will be plenty of steeler fans up inthere we will get heckled but that is expected, just as long as you dont snap and take it too serious you will be fine and stay away from the drunk one's. :yeehaw:

13. SteelDomination

SteelDomination Member

Feb 6, 2012

A little disappointed that you still call him your cousin

14. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Heckling is one thing, but when people want to flat out fistfight that is different. I have been to 3 Steelers vs browns games in cleveland since 2004. I expect some smack talk and back and forth banter, i can hold my own in that regard. But when people throw beer and want to flat out fight thats not a good time. No one in cleveland ever messed with me, could be because im 6 ft 3in and weigh 250 pounds. But i have seen fights break out in the muni-lot before the game simply because some drunken clowns fan feels the need to be an a-hole. I have also sat by some browns fans who i had fun with even though they were losing. But i dont know about oakland, it seems to be taken to a whole another level there. Unfortunately some fans think its their right to physically assault opposing fans because you are in "their house".

15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would rather they not serve me than serve me a sneeze burger. ;)

16. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

True that :hmmm:

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually got cussed out at a Bungles game in 06... BY A GIRL!!! I was just kinda laughing but my dad got really mad and was saying how it was really uncalled for. She just kept saying how that Ben sucked and was the worst Super Bowl qb ever and all that and I was just like "yeah and we have 5 Super Bowls and you have how many??" Then I talked smack THE WHOLE GAME and a guy took my towel from me and people were throwing popcorn at me and stuff. I loved it because I like to talk smack and it's all in good fun for me. Then last year in Cincy I accidentally dropped my towel walking in the stadium and a Bungles fan was gonna pick it up to give it to me. However, a fellow Steelers fan saw him picking it up and stopped him and said "HEY YOU CAN'T TOUCH THAT!!!" I thought that was hilarious. Point is there are bad fans at every game in every stadium ALL OVER. Just go and have fun. I talk smack but I'm always nice to the other teams fans on a personal level and they generally return the favor.

18. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    4 yrs ago at the Panther pre-season game, this guy kept running up, sitting in front of me and talking smack. Of course, I was talking it back. By half time I was offering my hat and telling him 'come to the dark side, we ll love ya.' By the 3rd quarter his dad was asking for the hat and the guy was quiet and laughing. By the 4 th quarter I had offered his dad a ride home after his daughter told him he would walk if he wore the hat. We all had fun and thats what its about.

I wear my stuff when I go but I rarely talk alot and just have a good time. Alcohol and morons can ruin your game and I dont pay that kind of money to have a bad time. There is a number you can text if people are giving you trouble or getting rowdy. Most stadiums are all of problems before they get out of hand.

As far as leaving, with the stupidity of fans at sporting events in the last yr, I suggest walking out with other Steeler fans.

19. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not always helpful. Brian Stow was with a group of friends when he was jumped. Was in a coma for months and now has brain damage.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Being in Oakland (and not the home of Pitt) I'd seriously consider wearing black pants and a reversible shirt that is silver on the outside and gold on the inside. After you've sized up your neighbors during the first quarter then decide whether it's safe (and worth your life) to show your true colors. Last Raider-Steeler game I attended was in the mid 80's when the Raiders were still in LA - anticipating a rude and dangerous crowd - I splurged and got tickets on the 35 YD Line thinking that I'd be surrounded by nice white collar season ticket holders from West LA - unfortunately it turned out to be the San Quentin alumni "10 most wanted" section. Even though I'm 6-2 235lb - I felt like Pee Wee Herman in that biker bar in his Big Adventure movie. Raider fans are generally the most obnoxious miscreants on the planet.

But hey -don't let me bias your decision - have a blast!