1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thought of Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Busman, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    When LA was down 24-0 coach decides to go for 3..

Think that is the wrong call and most would agree if Tomlin did that it would be considered a dumb call

Your down 3 tds and a fg.. You need a TD not a field goal to even have a chance of winning

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking the same. I guess it was the same logic though - getting something on the board is better than nothing. Still, I’d probably have gone for the TD there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Still a 3 score game either way. They would have lost by 3 instead of 7. Lack of points there could kill morale. The numbers say take the FG. It almost worked.

The dumbest decision was up 21-0 with the ball at like the 40 with 30 seconds and not taking a chance deep for more points or int punt. Lack of points almost cost us. Living in our fears. NE would have went for more points.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk In my opinion you need points. They were down 4 scores. If you don’t get the TD you’re still down four scores. It almost worked and if they would of kicked off instead of onside we might be singing a different tune this morning. I think the difference when Tomlin did it was we had no answer for NEs offense. You need TDs to beat them because they’ve figured our defense out. Idk to me our FG seemed like a puss move at the time Chargers decision was a little more strategic given the situation. Like I said a kickoff could of changed a lot and maybe they’re not starting from their 1yd line. Our D was a shell at that point.

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Take points. Never know how a game will turn out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't know what happened to our defense but that forth quarter their receivers were running free and open all over the secondary. We let them get back into the game and if they did get that on-side kick, it could have been another game our defense could not close out the game. I was loving the game being ahead and relaxed and somehow still was at the edge of my seat waiting for that damn kick. Some things never change. Good win on the West coast for the team and now a couple of weeks to heal up. The mighty Fins next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Exactly which is why I thought SD should have went for the TD instead of a FG. Sure the outcome now says they made the right decision. Our secondary goes into very soft coverage when they are ahead. Thats on Butler.. You have to stiffen up to keep them out of the end zone and they did not.. They actually looked slower and less impactful as the first half. At least that is what I saw.

Reminded me a bit of Cowher ball where you place not to lose instead of playing to win, stepping on their throats and win convincingly .. Anyone that missed the game would have looked at the score and thought it was a good game but it really was not.. SD had very little impact in the first half with respect to points.

8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I thought Lynn should have kicked it deep after they made it 24-17 with 1:29 left and all 3 timeouts. If you get a 3 and out there you at least get the ball back with a little over a minute left and aren’t pinned back on your own 1 yard line like the Chargers were after the onside kick when the Steelers went 3 and out. The Chargers overall made some terrible decisions from
    a coaching perspective last night and it was nice to see it happen on the other side for a change and not with the Steelers like our usually does. I thought the Steelers long drives and ball possession everytime they had the ball last night was great. They did just enough to leave Rivers and the Chargers offense no time left to have a chance to tie the game there at the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It was sickening! The first half was the first time Steeler fans had reason for excrement and then we stop what was working and played boring defense in the second half.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree with all of this except, The good people of San Diego made their wishes clear and let the Chokers go to L.A. where they're, obviously, thriving. How'd all that Black and Gold look on your t.v. Spanos?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yeah I got to get the SD out of my head lol

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Most of the people here have gotten the Chargers out of their heads. Spanos got SD out of his head years before the move...….
    I get it though. 50 years of being associated with one city...………...

• Like Like x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Tomlin does the same. It's Steelers football. But it's funny you mentioned that because Cowher was getting on the Cowboys for not taking a field goal before half. They ended up losing by 2.. So you see what happens when you don't take the 3 points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bush wasn't the same after his injury, missed several plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Nor was Watt. Something happened to him as well.. Saw a trainer explaining to him about his back .. So he must have tweeked his back .. He also looked exhausted.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Watts battery is drained. He needs a jumpstart. Bye coming at a great time.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Joe Haden looked hobbled too, before he went out.
    Don't worry though, coach has it under control.:unsure:

“We live by the creed, ‘The standard is the standard,’” Tomlin said. “But those are just words. The players, the guys, make that reality. I think we had a lot of quality efforts tonight from a lot of people.”

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t worry we got plenty of red paint....

19. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I noticed that the refs stopped calling holding in the Chargers' offensive line, in the second half. But they were actually still holding. On one play, in particular, a Chargers o-lineman literally had Heyward's arm in a lock as Heyward beat him and was closing in on Rivers.

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You mean like a :bscow: break? You might want to check your Webster for the definition of "excrement". That's a great Malaprop there Stone and ironically applies to essentially every half the Steelers have played this year except for the one you reference. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1