1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Those are not rookie mistakes . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 24, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    But I saw burrow literally completely dominate college football and the playoffs at the highest of levels in the by far toughest conference in college football in the sec where he's playing multiple future nfl players on a regular. Albeit he did have arguably the most talented team we've ever seen but he still did what he did. Then in his first full nfl healthy season he took a moribund franchise thats far worse run then what pickett is dealing with to the brink of winning the sb. If Pickett did that any of that you'd have me.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He already has you. He was talking about physical ability, not production.

I see you tried something misleading in comparing a first full, healthy NFL season to a rookie season. Those are not the same things. Burrow played 10 games in 2020, so he had all of that professional experience before the 2021 season you referenced. The odd thing is you didn't have to be dishonest. Burrow was better in his rookie season than what we have seen from Pickett so far. Of course, he also had a competent offensive coach, something Pickett does not have.

I also notice you didn't dispute Steel_Elvis's claim that Pickett has no less physical talent than Burrow. If that is true, then this nonsense of him having no upside simply isn't true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You’re moving the goalposts. We were discussing whether Pickett has any special traits. I agree that he doesn’t, but he also doesn’t have any glaring physical weaknesses. Every physical trait is at least average for a starting NFL QB, just like Burrow. I’ve never compared Pickett’s college achievements to Burrow’s other than at one time saying that they both dramatically improved their performances in their last seasons in college. It remains to be seen whether (and how quickly) Pickett will develop the understanding of the pro game and savvy to be a really good NFL QB. Burrow did it quickly. Pickett is behind him, but watching him play I see indications that he’s closer to “getting it” than his stats would indicate. I didn’t really want to draft him, but every week I get a little bit more comfortable that we did the right thing.

The key point here is that the mental aspect of the game is most crucial for a QB, as long as the QB has at least respectable physical traits. Burrow has become a Top 5 QB, even though he has nowhere near the physical talent as guys like Allen, Mahomes or Herbert. There’s no reason that Pickett can’t do the same. The open question is will he. Nobody knows that answer yet, although there’s certainly no shortage of people who will spew BS saying that they do know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    What round are we in?

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Halloween

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Burrow is special. He has that it factor. Almost kinda similar to Tom brady in a sense. Deshaun Watson is another one with that about him. I don't see that from Pickett. I don't think Pickett will be that guy but as yiu say he had time. I'm just not betting on it.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Is zac taylor competent? He has been questioned by people as being incompetent. Physically I still like burrow alot better than Pickett. He makes alot of off script things and big time plays improvisationally . Also burrow wasn't drafted due to being a project. Burrow was expected from day 1 to be a good nfl starter. He's draft grade by nfl.com was "pro bowl level talent". No one said he needed to "develop" like you all are with Pickett. That was my point of bringing up why you can wait for certain others like mhaomes or Allen and not the kenny Picketts and Mac Jones of the world. Those type of guys need to instantly show you something or they ain't it. And I brought up the full healthy season because at week 10 last yr I don't even think the bengals were a playoff team. The latter part of the season is what backdoored them in. So his rookie season based on what we know about him was incomplete grade wise cause they could've went on a run possibly. Like they are doing now after starting off slow.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In other words, you've got nothing. Now you want to rely on some vague intangible as your excuse for why Burrow can be elite, but Pickett cannot. That is an incredibly weak argument, but that's no surprise given the source.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There you go showing your ignorance again. Taylor is well respected as an offensive coach. People just questioned his ability as a head coach.

As Steel_Elvis pointed out, you are moving the goalposts. Pickett is comparable to Burrow physically. You keep trying to counter that with things that aren't physical ability.

Those weren't even the most laughable part of your post. You actually just claimed that the Bengals could have gone on a run to contend late in Burrow's rookie season and we don't know because he got hurt? They were 2-7-1 when he was injured. They would have had to win out just to get to 8-7-1. Do you even know what you are trying to argue at this point?

The point is simple here. Pickett has physical talent comparable to Burrow, who you acknowledge is an elite quarterback. That means Pickett has the physical ability to be an elite quarterback. That doesn't mean it will happen. He has a long way to go to reach Burrow's level. He certainly didn't have the same resume coming out of college, but all the goalpost moving can't save you on this one.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  11. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    bip bam boom
    good night Irene

popcorn running out

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well Deshaun Watson certainly has that DIGIT factor going for him and that presumption has been firmly inserted by more than a handful of accounts from what we’ve all been told.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't believe that to be true about Josh Allen. Not even a bit. He was not held in high regard after his first season. At all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are two unnamed members on this board who bicker more than me and the little misses

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well said:this!:

• Like Like x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/11/bengals-zac-taylor-surrender-play-calling-duties/

His play calling has been questioned.

Again my whole point of bringing up the physical abilities was due to the fact the others were able to be given more time to be developed because he talked about how allen aucked but people didn't give up on him. Once again burrow hasn't developed. So since you all are comparing him to burrow I expect burrow esque results since you're tying to spin as if I said it's strictly just about physicl with no context added to it. Aldo burrow is better physically. Both are not on the same exactly equal level physical wise. Burrow is better then him physically in every aspect.

And yes it's possible. Rg3 started 3-6 his rookie year and ran the table to go to 10-6. So it's not out the realm of possibility.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :popcorn: :tequila:

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is your evidence against Taylor as a play-caller? I thought you only cared what players and former players say. Who is questioning him there? Some guy in the media? Fans? Do you really need to compound your ignorance with hypocrisy?

I'm not trying to spin anything. You are. Steel_Elvis pointed out that Pickett can match Burrow in physical talent. You kept trying to argue the point with things that are not physical ability. Now you want to just state that Burrow has more as if we are supposed to take your word for it after watching you repeatedly prove your ignorance to the board. (Hell, it may even be true for all I know, but you have done a horrible job of arguing the point.)

Those Bengals were going to run the table? Do you ever tire of embarrassing yourself this way?

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nesn.c...roasted-for-awful-goal-line-play-calling/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ffenses-slow-start-coach-zac-taylor-says/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...-bengals-fall-to-ravens-on-tucker-fg.amp.html

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...gals-play-calling-against-ravens/69553906007/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stripe...-and-losers-from-week-5-loss-01gezytjpch9/amp

Wrong again. I said I take the opinion of analysts, afcionados and players. People on TV and people that get PAID to wite and talk about the game. No one here was hired to talk about football in comparison to people that were. Stop misquoting me clown.

And you said burrow is equal to Pickett phsyically as if I'm posed to take your word on that lmao. Also this is what I said "I never thought personally that fields was special. You could see in college he wasn't a good passer. And you also missed what I said about guys who are talented or special. You give them time to develop because they have something special to build upon. Like Josh Allen for example. He was a deer in headlights early on but the bills stuck with it because he was a talented project that needed refining. Pickett is not the definition of that. He's an average talent that's supposed to be plug in ready. What special ability is he building upon?"
    So please show me where I said it's only all about physical ability and having physical ability and being a project means YOU GET TIME to improve. When you dont have that youre expected form day 1 to be good. Thats what i said. He tried to reach for burrow who already proved himmself lol.

Also I said it's POSSIBLE they could've which is why his rookie season was considered incomplete dumbass. When the **** did I say they would 100000000000% certain run the table?

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you are moving the goalposts again. Now you will listen to anybody who is paid to write and talk about the game? Great. You should be listening to me, then, because I was paid to write and talk about the game.

I never suggested you ever said it was all about physical ability. Your reading comprehension skills are as poor as everything else you show here. Your analysis is built on the false premise that Pickett doesn't have the physical ability to be a top quarterback. Pickett is physically comparable to Burrow, an elite quarterback. It is idiotic to write him off after three starts, but look who I'm posting to.

21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm glad I was sick this past week and missed this circular argument fallacy of a thread. I would've certainly participated in the madness.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I need the proof you were paid to write and talk about the game.

I wrote him off prior to.the 3 starts. You can't read nor comprehend cause I've stated time and time again these 3 games don't have anything to do with my thoughts on Pickett. No I said his ohysicsl ability isn't anything to build upon and he should already be good like burrow came out the gate looking. That was my.point because others said well Josh Allen sucked for years. Yes but he had physical ability to build upon and improve and was a project. Kenny Pickett don't have that.

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Kenny has finished 4 games... in all 4 his final play was an INT with 4:18 or less in the clock

I just need to see that cleaned up going forward

HACK

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just a few weeks ago someone here declared a superstar was born. Funny he’s been awful quiet these last few weeks

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You actually think wanting to give up on him even sooner makes you look better? You're funny.

Seriously, if I showed you an article I wrote about the Steelers, you would suddenly defer to my judgment? That's even funnier.

By the way, when I say funny, I mean that I'm laughing at you. I just thought I should clarify in case you were confused.