1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Those are not rookie mistakes . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think you are basing it on just three games. I think you are stuck on some analysis you watched back in April. You shared it here, and it was an analysis by J.T. O'Sullivan.

I don't think they took him because of the Pitt-Steelers connection. I think that connection allowed them to get to know him better than other teams and they liked what they saw. Different things make one quarterback or another special. In the case of Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes, those things are physical. That doesn't mean they don't have the mental part of the game down, too, but they both have incredible arm strength and athleticism.

For other quarterbacks, it is the mental aspect that sets them apart. Tom Brady has an NFL arm, but not a special one. He isn't very athletic. Everything that makes him special is between the ears. I think that is true of Joe Burrow as well. He has a very good arm, but it's not like Mahomes or Allen. He's athletic, but not quite on the level with the elite guys. He processes things quickly, he's tough, and he has swagger. I'm oversimplifying things here, but that is the general idea.

If Pickett is going to be special, it will be due to what is between his ears. He has an NFL arm, but not a great one. He is athletic, probably comparable to Burrow. If he's going to be special, it will be his ability to learn the game and process it quickly, his toughness, and his swagger. He can't rely on insane physical gifts to carry him through as he figures things out. Put someone like that on a bad team with a lousy offensive coordinator and it's going to take him some time. That alone tells me the Steelers aren't going to move on from him quickly. They made a decision to build around him. They have to know it might take a year or two before we see what he can be.

To be clear, I'm not directly comparing him to Burrow. I think that is Pickett's ultimate upside, but it is far from a sure thing that he will get there.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Josh Allen wasn't good his rookie year, Burrow was average in his rookie year :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No I'm stuck on what I saw from him in college, his draft grade, the fact there were plenty qb teams and no one moved up for him nor wanted to take him early, and you had teams saying f this draft we'll just get a stop gap and wait for next yr like the falcons did. Qb is a postion when there's someone special there teams will take him high.

Exactly you describe him and his ability pretty much to a T. That caliber of guy is one that needs to produce asap or he ain't it. Like Mac Jones for example. He is who he is. I don't see him getting any much better than what he is cause the talent isn't there where it's like ok you're a raw prospect and we have to refine you to bring the best out of your God given tools. Like allen, mahomes, etc... Pickett with his limitations physically should be producing already because that's really In this Era of the nfl the only justification of taking one like him is his ability to already be pro ready.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That makes zero sense. You feel his is limited in his abilities and therefore should be producing already. After 3 games :lolol:

Scribe, be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Both, had that "it factor". They weren't the players that you see today. But, you definitely, knew that it was coming.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How did those “special” QBs from the 2021 draft do last year as rookies? Lawrence is just now playing like a rookie 1st pick, but in his 2nd year. Wilson was horrid last year and is just now showing signs in year 2. Lance barely saw the field. Fields was a deer in the headlights most of last season, and hasn’t shown much yet this season either. All that talent. Not a single one was worth a crap last year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Obviously logic is also not one of your strong points

Or any points

String might have been a generous word

Are you going to graduate on time

What is your major

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you now want to duck the very same analysis you provided as evidence in April. I get it. You took O'Sullivan's word over Kurt Warner's. Even you know that makes you look bad.

Your second paragraph simply isn't true. Tom Brady is the perfect example. He barely played as a rookie and he was nothing special as a passer when he did start his second season. He wasn't what he was going to be. He got much better. Intelligent players can do that as long as they have even league-average physical talent. Pickett has, at worst, an average arm compared to other NFL quarterbacks. He is a little above average in athleticism. He has to learn how to adjust his game to the NFL and he is stuck doing it with a terrible offensive coordinator, shaky offensive line, and little support from the running game.

I'm not sure which part you don't understand, that he does have the physical talent to play in the NFL or that pro-ready relative to the rest of the rookie class doesn't mean ready to be the best version of himself as a player from day one. Maybe it is both.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They didn't show the it factor as rookies, so what if Pickett isn't elite, it doesn't mean he can't lead you to the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    No. But I'm not basing any QB off of 3 games. Heck I've seen good QB come out great first season I scratched my head on and they went on the be meh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Anybody who claims that you could see that Allen was going to be an elite quarterback based on his rookie season is lying. He wasn't good. He had major issues with his mechanics. It is incredibly rare that quarterbacks can fix their throwing motion at the pro level.

Burrow, on the other hand, absolutely showed he could be special before he blew out his knee, but he also had some really crappy games as a rookie. One of them came against the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The only recent rookie QB who impressed me right away was Herbert and even he is coming back down to earth lately. Pickett will improve. He has the skills. He just need the experience

• Like Like x 2
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm not basing off the 3 games either.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No it's not lol. I said when they drafted him I didn't like the pick. One guy is not going to make my total outlook on a player.

Tom brady is an Anamoly. Using him as a measuring stick for anyone is laughable. He's 1 of 1. There's no one else like him. Good luck selling someone that kenny Pickett is going to be great because of what happened to Tom brady lol. Also Tom brady played in an entirely different nfl. He probably wouldn't be who he is if he started his career two years ago in this Era of football.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I never thought personally that fields was special. You could see in college he wasn't a good passer. And you also missed what I said about guys who are talented or special. You give them time to develop because they have something special to build upon. Like Josh Allen for example. He was a deer in headlights early on but the bills stuck with it because he was a talented project that needed refining. Pickett is not the definition of that. He's an average talent that's supposed to be plug in ready. What special ability is he building upon?

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's not what I said. I said he's average like a Mac Jones who only was drafted because of being pro ready. Not because he possessed anything special like when Josh Allen was drafted at 7 but could barely hit the broadside of the barn.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You presented that guy as evidence, now you want to back away from him because even you realize it makes you look ridiculous. Try owning what you post even if it is plagiarized.

I did not use Brady as a measuring stick. I used him as an example of what an intelligent quarterback can do. He can learn and get better, just as Pickett did in college. I figured I would keep the examples simple so even you can follow them. There have been other quarterbacks who were special because of what was between their ears, not hanging from their shoulders. I'm sorry your lack of knowledge of the history of the league is holding you back in this discussion.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm always nice. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Including P. Manning, and J. Montana

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I actually didn’t want any QB in the 1st round last year. However, so far Kenny Pickett is doing a lot of good things. Some of his mistakes have been impactful, and he’ll need to learn from them, but a lot of young (and experienced) QBs make similar mistakes. Often the difference between having a good game and a bad game for a QB is simply whether the defense capitalizes on the mistakes or not. In Pickett’s case so far it seems like the defense is all over any mistake. In Tua’s case Sunday we dropped 4 of his mistakes. In week 1 vs. Burrow, we caught them all. Burrow made mistakes at a higher frequency week 1 than Kenny has so far. Does that make him a bad QB? What Pickett shows so far is that he sees the field and usually makes good decisions. That’s encouraging for a rookie. He has no less physical ability than Burrow. No special traits, but no glaring weaknesses either. I’m waiting until the season is over to really judge his rookie season and long term potential. So far I see more good than bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    This thread makes no sense. He's still a NFL rookie; by your logic almost any first round QB with a good track record in college isn't a rookie. The game is not the same, either. The college game is filled with teams that boast a handful of future NFL players, many of whom may or may not make an impact in the league. The NFL is literally filled with teams that mostly boast starting quality players, at least before injuries. While I agree that the schemes, plays and designs need to be better, at the end of the day Pickett is a rookie QB. I wish we hadn't stayed in fairy tale land and pretended that Trubisky gave us a shot to contend. Had we been more realistic, Pickett would be further along in his development as a player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe, maybe not. From the time a QB's brains says ready, aim, fire, plus the time the ball is in the air, players down the field can move an incredible amount of distance. JMO>

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. I remember all the hype of KP being the MOST pro ready of the class which, like you said, doesn't mean he is pro ready but just more than his peers in the draft. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How is your season going

Are you going to graduate on time

What is your major

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1