1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This time it's for real - RIP JoePa

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by mdbates2, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    All sources now reporting the bad news. The world has lost a good man. I'm praying for the Paterno family.

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Prayers to his family in this difficult time...

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Seems to be official now. RIP JoePa!

4. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Yep. The news came from his family. What a difficult time for them. Joe is enjoying Sunday Brunch in heaven.

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm watching Matt Millen and Mike Ditka argue that what happened to him was unjust and terrible.

Why didn't these guys stand up for him earlier?

6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    All the stuff that happened this year was enough for him. He lived & died coaching.

My thoughts are with his family and the Nittany Lions community. I'm pretty sure he still has -and will forever have- a great fan base. This one will be pretty hard to swallow.

7. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    His legacy will improve once things are settled legally. Those who are truly responsible will be brought to justice, and JoePa will be remembered for the good that he did for PSU, the NCAA and for many other individuals.

8. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Although I grew up a big PITT fan I later became a PSU fan because of Joe Pa.
    RIP Joe Pa

9. jftwist

jftwist Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    R.I.P. Mr. Paterno

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
  11. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Condolences to the family.

12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I feel like I lost a grandfather. A member of my own family.

He will be missed.

13. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    The official cause is complications from cancer. I truly believe he died of a broken heart after the university he gave his life (not to mention millions) to turned its back on him.

Whether that decision was right or wrong is better off left for another day.

R.I.P Coach...................

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. Before we even knew he had cancer, I thought he might be dead within a year over the disgraceful way PSU handled the entire situation.

15. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    he gave everything to Penn State and in the end he probably gave his life.

did he do everything he could have when he found out about Sandusky? probably not, but he did tell his bosses and they chose to do nothing.

Joe Paterno deserved a better ending to his great carreer and all he did for not only football, but all the young people that crossed his path and what he meant to them.

he will always be remembered for being one of the greatest coaches in sports and for preaching that winning with integrity was more important than winning at all costs.

he will always be remembered and the people who decided to fire him the way they did should be ashamed of themselves. not the way to treat the man that put Penn State on the map.

16. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  17. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    RIP Joe Paterno.Great Coach and Great Person. :cray:

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    A great man, a legendary coach and teacher of life.
    The world will not see the likes of him again.

"WE ARE STATE!"

19. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    good effing question.

20. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    probably not the best thread for this but it IS about joepa and i found it kind of funny/intriguing/amazing/odd/?! . . .

i was at nike headquarters last week in beaverton,oregon and the campus has several buildings named after famous athlets who endorsed nike (tiger woods, bo jackson, michael jordan, john mcenroe, ken griffey jr, alberto salazaar, pete sampras, mia hamm, jerry rice, etc) and they have a building named after joe paterno . . .

The Joe Paterno Child Development Center

awkwaaaaaard . . .

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't see anything awkward about it. Joe was never accused of doing anything to kids, nor being a part of it, nor covering it up, nor being an accomplice. He was mostly a scapegoat. But he admitted he could have done more. He failed to do everything he possibly could have, which is a lapse in judgement, but not a crime.

22. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    you don't "see anything awkward about" a guy who was dismissed from his head coaching position over a scandal involving sexual abuse with children having a building named after him that houses a 'child development center?'

you don't see anything awkward, huh?

um, yeah, this conversation is over.

23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Having to prove your innocence, after a lifetime of service, dying, and posthumously.

Now that's more than awkward, that's scary.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    If you say so.

He was not part of the scandal. He was a convenient scapegoat, when the guys who should have taken the blame were glossed over. I've yet to see or read proof that he took part in any coverup. So it's not awkward to me.

(Others may think it awkward because they don't want to acknowledge the life he led, what he stood for, and the things he did to help people. All they want to do is equate him with something he never did. Some people believe Elvis is still alive. Whatever...)

Then again, maybe I misjudged your post. It came off sounding a little like "How DARE they put his name on anything. He should be erased from history!" We can remember the man for the thousands of tons of good he did, or his moment of indecision as an old man faced with a situation he likely never thought he'd be in. If there is a heaven, and there are scales to weigh a man's life, I'm pretty sure his are tipped WAY over on the side of good.

Your mileage may vary.

25. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    "We can remember the man for the thousands of tons of good he did, or his moment of indecision as an old man faced with a situation he likely never thought he'd be in. If there is a heaven, and there are scales to weigh a man's life, I'm pretty sure his are tipped WAY over on the side of good......."Anonymous"

AGREE 100%....