1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This team isn't very good

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 1, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was critical of RF as the new OC because of the buddy-buddy relationship. But since Ben is in his last years, I think I said something like you're not going to change the race track on the last lap. We don't know what goes on in the meeting rooms though. But it seems to me no coach is going to change Ben, especially at this point in his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    True. But AB can also beat the double teams that are thrown at him. Ben doesn't see the separation at the right time. It's a small window.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .....don't forget 1 of the losses....we got Tebowed.....ouch!

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No it's not gonna change its definitely too late for that. I just wish Ben sometimes used his head for something other than a place to rest his helmet...

5. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    As a general reply to the thread, no, this team is not very good, right now.

On offense, they need to run the ball more to force opposing teams' front 7 to respect it. For this to happen, the offensive line needs to stop getting rag-dolled. Ben needs to take what the defense gives him and stop trying to force his desires for 30 yard bombs for TDs on 3rd and short.

On defense...? Yikes. I'm going to need some more time for that one. At a high level, the rushers need to get to the QB. They should just play man coverage in the secondary because the scheming is not working. And for the love of all that is holy somebody cover the TE!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'll have you know that they lead the league in quarterback pressures! ;+)

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The only pressure the QBs are feeling is what wide open WR they should throw it to and the pressure of missing the side of a barn from 30 yds....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AB can get down field, but he isn't Stephon Diggs or Deandre Hopkins fast... if a defense doubles or triples him, he is not going to overcome it. Ju Ju and Washington aren't burners either. Teams against us don't fear the deep ball.

Martavis and Bell both brought something that is sorely lacking on this team.

9. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, well! I'll have to get on my research, then! It's not feeling great, though. So, it must be my personal frustration with wanting to see more straight up sacks.

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Disagree...AB ran a 4.3 forty last year...Down from a 4.5 he ran coming out if college

11. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree on AB and the triple team. But I still believe he can beat a double team. It's about his crisp route running more so than his speed. It was the same with Jerry Rice.

Martavis Bryant brought a lot to the team, but he's horrible behind the scenes (aka outside of the game). His personal issues are restricting his maturation process, as an NFL receiver. Over the long term, he would have done more harm than good (to both himself and the team).

Bell. I wholeheartedly agree with you, here. He was arguably the most explosive player on the team not named Shazier.

It's arguable that the team lost the players that represented the hearts of the defense and offense.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

:puking 4::puking 4::puking 4:you had to remind me.........

13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I must have watched a different game last night cause they didn't pressure crap.........

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe just maybe the whole problem is our lack of cheerleaders. Just think how cute those young ladies would look in black and gold.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

At this point, I'm all for trading MT's challenge flag for a pair of pom poms.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Because the other teams have coaches who know how to make adjustments..our staff sadly does not..

17. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

8-8 on the year and another wasted season.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Injuries played a part in some of that, Bell has been healthy once in the playoffs without getting injured that was last year. They probably beat Denver in 2015, if AB and Bell play in that game Touissaint fumble cost them the game also DWill missed that game.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

We are witnessing a different ben. An older slower and changing Ben. He can never make those long bombs anymore. His accuracy is certainly in question. He will be good one week and bad the next. There is alot of blame to go around though at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Andy Reid can get the most out of his QBs.

It’s the coaches

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How many Super Bowls has Reid won?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Thats a trick question haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    His teams always come ready to play.

0 Super Bowl wins.
    Steelers can’t beat Patriots either.

Edit:
    Oops forgot he was on the Green Bay staff that beat the Patriots in a Super Bowl.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He also chokes in the playoffs :shrug:, just last season blew a big lead to the Titans.

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No, right now, today, this is not a good football team. It is not really even mediocre.

Everything that were problems at times over the last half dozen years, for example, coaching, discipline, positions in need of fresh talent, special teams, lack of consistency have all been persistent problems so far this year. Really, despite last years record, for much of that season as well. In other words, the chickens are coming home to roost. All of them. I think this was an okay coach for a talented team, but I don't think he really has any idea how to turn this thing around.