1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This team isn't very good

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 1, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We could be facing a losing record this season. Ben and AB can't make those big plays down field anymore, either because of double coverage or Ben's inaccuracy. The front seven on defense nobody it seems can get off being blocked and make a play :shrug:. Last season VW was effective blitzing up the middle and sacking the QB, we haven't seen much of that this season. There just isn't enough talented playmakers on defense.

2. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    We certainly seem a step slow or behind on all aspects of the game. The easy crossing route pitch and catch was there whenever Baltimore needed it. For us, we run 3 yard routes when we need 6. Their kicking game (punting and placekicking) superior to ours, and as someone else pointed out, when Baltimore made an unforced error, it cost them points. Ours kept us from expanding drives. I hate being jealous of what other teams can do with their talent. Still, next week brings fresh hope, but I don’t see what adjustments we can make with the players....despite citing the adjustments we ‘obviously’ have to make in tomlins press conferences every week

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I knew the defense would be a liability this season but I believe they are worst than last year. We essentially have two new starters on defense and Burns just going in the tank, it is like a Chinese fire drill on defense.
    I think this problem is too big for Butler. I would hold off if we seen the slightest improvements. But they are regressing.
    Perfect example is when Lamar Jackson entered the game. They had no clue on what to do to the point they had to call a time out. Ravens have been using him all season and it’s like this is the first time we seen this. What were we doing all week?
    It’s time to look outside the organization for a defensive coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Could this finally be the beginning of the end? We all knew our D was bad but thought maybe it could get better. The fact that we live and die with Ben kills this offense and Ben is no spring chicken. We keep blaming Arians, Haley and now Fitchner for bad play calling but at some point we have to point at the players. There is no good or bad play, each play is designed to work when players do their jobs.

I know every year Ben goes thru these slumps or slow starts but nobody plays forever and at some point he won't bounce back is it now? I am confused how Vance could have a big half then disappear in the 2nd half, why? Where is the quick slants to AB letting him make a play? Bell or Conner this line is not run blocking well.

On the defensive side where is the pressure, I think Flacco had a sip of tea once or twice when he dropped back to pass. Sorry to all the people who love Cam and Tuitt but to have so much money wrapped up in them and getting nothing is getting old. Many of us complain about the secondary but at some point we just can't blame them. I also wonder what kind of D we are running when we put Cam and/or Tuitt in the middle and have Watt and Dupree on the outside. IMO this goes back to the hybrid D Tomlin is trying to run and we just don't have the personal for it. Why are our DB's so confused, I mean how do you let a guy run right by and two defenders stand right there?

There is a lot to clean up on this team and I just don't see it happening. Add in the drama with Bell, AB and soon to be Ben(cause the retirement talk has to come soon) and this team is a mess. Tomlin, Fitch, Porter and Butler has to go but we all know that won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They're not gonna be able to rely solely on an offense that throws 80% of the time especially when the weather starts to get bad. They need to find a running game somewhere and this honestly is one of the worst defenses in Steeler history.. So relying solely on a 36 year old QB with a horrible defense for the ages there gona struggle to finish ahead of the browns this year

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it’s getting pretty safe to say that Butler is in over his head. However, as bad as he’s been, the overall lack of talent on defense has been just as critical. With all of the money and high draft picks that we have tied up on defense, the best performer seems to be journeyman LB John Bostic. That speaks volumes.

On offense I’m not ready to run Fichtner out of town yet. I missed the second half last night, so my observation is being made without seeing that. However I’ve seen very inconsistent O line, and yes QB, play that have contributed to stagnation. It seems like we go for stretches of time where the O line gets overwhelmed on every snap. Also, as great as Ben has looked at times he misses a lot of throws that could keep the chains moving, and has a tendency to look deep on plays where the check down is there. I can’t lay it all on Fichtner yet.

This is not a good football team right now. Coaching or personnel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We were 13-3 last year. We had Bell and Shazier. With Bell gone it is a lot easier for opposing defenses to prepare for us. Shazier was huge for our D.

This will be one of those odd years in Pittsburgh where the Pirates finished above .500 and the Steelers won't.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The second half offense consisted of essentially everything you've described above, but x10.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Good post NY, just didn't want to copy a paste the whole thing.

Zone, being in a box, expecting help. There is no read and react, communication is nil. Chinese fire drill is spot on NY. It's hard to watch. I thought Bradley would clean this up. Must be using a dirty rag.

And yes, WTF is Tuitt and Heyward doing? Dupree is a joke, should have been a running back he is always in the backfield. Watt is getting mauled.

Like I said in another thread, Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

• Like Like x 1
  10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Having a lack of talent in the D backfield coupled with an unacceptable level of miscommunications at this point in the season leads to lots of points being given up. Add to that an offense that is inconsistent = losses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    You're right, and I don't disagree. But the Steelers lost last night because 1) defense and 2) because Ben couldn't hit his open throws. Guys, there were seriously open Steelers all over the field. Ben blatantly missed AB twice on the second or third drive of the third quarter.

It sucks because Ben has been so insanely good for his team for so long. But the defense is so bad that Ben literally can't make mistakes. At least with Shazier, games like last night would have been 17-14 or tied. We're screwed lol

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Agree with the D bashing, but they didn't beat the Browns or Ravens due to the offense.

The offense had plenty of chances to win the game last night, with the D holding the Rats to FG (and being on the field so long bc the O stunk). Bottom line, they'd be 3 - 1 with a consistent/productive offense

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Ben shouldn’t be allowed to call his own plays. He’s like a drunk me playing madden. 3rd and 1? Lets go deep. 2nd and 2? Of course I’m calling all go routes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They havent scored a single point in the second half 2 games in a row now and that is just the weirdest stat of all to understand....

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    The thing I am tired of seeing the the constant celebrating. They act as if making a tackle 7-15yds down field is a good thing, we get up talking Sh*& acting tough. Any ball we catch we gotta show that its a first down. They even act like this when were losing, I just cant stand when players are like this. Ok if your the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 08 Steelers talk all you want because there is a 98% chance you will back it up. Again to me it goes back to coaching, if I was Tomlin all the extra BS would stop until we got our Sh&* together. But that wont happen because he couldn't coach his way out of a HS game.

16. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The Steelers defense last night was not as bad as some people are making it out to be. I just wish Pittsburgh were using more 5 to 7 man rush instead of the 3 to 4 man rush. But then again, the secondary has been very inconsistent. So I'm guessing Mike Tomlin and Keith Butler wanted more guys in coverage than rushing Joe Flacco. With that being said, the defense did have good moments in the game. Sean Davis caused Alex Collins to fumble at the goal line. And Joe Haden made a great play on John Brown that could have easily been a touchdown for the Ravens. The Ravens were 8-17 on 3rd down conversions. And the Ravens had no touchdowns after the 1st quarter. So the Steelers defense did not play horrible. The Steelers offense was bad. Just like in the Monday night game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the offense did not score in the 2nd half. The offense was not able to do anything either by running or passing the ball. And they had 2 turnovers. Vance McDonald had a fumble in the 1st quarter. And Ben Roethlisberger had a interception in the 4th quarter. The offense sucked last night. They have to play better than that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Haha. There was one play that I think was 3rd and 2, and he launched a bomb to AB in the endzone, and my exact thought was: that's something I'd try in Madden.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Thanks CK just wish we were talking about how we could score 45 instead of 40 or how we could only give up 14 instead of 17 leading to a win for us. You are so right we are in for a long bumpy ride and a lot of threads and post like these. Then again last year after the Jagoff game I was ready to throw in the towel and we turned things around. Maybe there is hope so I won't jump just yet. lol

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol:

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    With the fire power on offense their is NO excuse for not scoring in the 2nd half! Two weeks in a row.

I was hopeful that the defense with the addition of Bradley would somewhat excel, not get worse.

Every head coach comes to a point where the message gets stale. And this head coach is moldy. I just don't see with him at the helm that this will turn around. A pass for 8-8 seasons, never had a losing one. Well this ship is taking on water, and could sink in the coming weeks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. The never had a losing season rational is the weakest argument ever. Ok so 8-8 isn't a losing season,guess what ,it's not a winning season either. Look at our recent playoff history, that is a true indication of success or lack thereof....So I guess for some as long as he goes 8-8 he can coach forever...

I see the lack of a structured O as the reason why we can't score in the 2nd half. We fall behind Ben slings it all over the place. We get back in the game by halftime. The other team adjusts to what we are doing,we don't. Ben isn't being held accountable and even less now then usual. How does he hold on to the ball,takes sacks,throws picks on 1st and 2nd down but then just throws away and wastes plays on 3rd down. Apparently we are back to sandlot ball because no one is left to reign Ben in....

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I so agree about the firepower of this team and it has been talked about many times here. The whole 30 point a game team we haven't seen and this is the strong point of this team. With that said I don't feel like that is on Tomlin like I feel the defense is on Tomlin. I do agree the ship is sinking and being 8-8 is not a good thing when you have this kind of talent.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I will add to this and say since 2010 we are 3-5 in the playoffs. Of them 3 wins we beat a team with Matt Moore as the QB, another game we won without scoring a TD and the last win came vs a team with a back up QB(AJ) who had the lead only to have a Burfict melt down to give us the win. Not impressive at all since 2010.......

24. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Every time Ben is "reined in", an OC gets fired. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I gotta say ... Deep throws to Martavis Bryant made a lot of defenses nervous. AB definitely benefited from that...

• Agree Agree x 1