1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This question and answer ... should explain coach tomlin's coaching flaws

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Sep 24, 2018.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Q. Part of the festivities surrounding tonight’s game will have Tony Dungy being inducted into the Buccaneers ring of honor. When it comes to football, what did you learn from him?
    A. Patience. I wasn’t a very patient coach, or person for that matter, when he hired me. To watch him exercise patience and leadership, to allow people to solve problems, to allow things to play out. That discipline that he displayed was really striking to me. Often times, I’d watch him and I knew he had the answer. And he’d watch others discover the answer, or sort out the answer. It takes a certain kind of discipline to allow those things to happen, and I learned over time and even from asking him directly, “Hey, Coach, I know you knew the answer to that, so why did you allow us to waste an hour-and-a-half of our time and have us discover that answer. And he said, “Because when you’re a part of the solution, it sticks with you forever, as opposed to getting the solution.” That’s what you learn from him as a coach, as we address schematic issues and problems. I was a secondary coach, he was a secondary coach by trade, so to sit back and watch me struggle – the struggle that is preparation for play or the struggle that is adjusting to things that happen during the course of a game or a practice or a season – it was a cool thing and it really imprinted on me how important patience is in leadership.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep that about sums it up. Although like don't think he has the answer like Dungy did most time.