1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This Morning

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wreck, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I seriously would rather relive the Superbowl loss than a ratbird loss. Especially when we went up 20-16, buried then at their 10, and lost to a 92 yard drive riddled with 3rd downs, a 4th down, and penalties, resulting in a loss. For once I would love to see Tomlin get angry on the sideline, or someone on our sideline pumping our guys up like Ray Lewis does and like Joey Porter used to.

Felt sick when I woke up. Felt sick when I went to bed. If we went to the playoffs, we'd get smashed considering out offense is playing better than Dick L's defense.

2. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I tell you what really makes me sick is that we had the opportunity to put them away on offense with 1 more first down.

Also, I can't for the life of me understand why we could take a delay of game penalty when going for a FG that would of put us up by 7!

3. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This team has to fix some things. We are leaving too many points on the field. In the red zone 4 times and we only score 13 points. Come on, that's a joke. We should have easily scored 27-30 points last night. And this d gives up way too many 3rd downs. Can we please get a little more pressure on these qb's and how about some tighter coverage.
    At this point we'll be lucky to make the playoffs as a wild card. Forget about the division, Baltimore showed they are the better team last night. This is one of the worst losses I can remember over the past few years.
    Lets see what Tomlin has to say about this. Some times I think this team has no heart.

4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I know what you mean. This one was more than just a heart breaker. When the Steelers lose, I'm always very disappointed, but it doesn't affect me other than that (unlike my dad, who used to act depressed the rest of the day after a Browns loss back before they moved to Baltimore). But last night, I didn't feel disappointment, I just felt angry. This is going to be a tough one to get over as a fan.

5. SteelGurl

SteelGurl Member

Nov 3, 2011
    He said what he always says..We tip our hat to them..they are a good team..we didn't make plays blah blah blah..I like Tomlin but I am tired of the same speech after every loss..

6. steelgirl ny 47

steelgirl ny 47 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Went to bed pissed off and woke up pissed off. Gotta work out this anger at the gym, before i unleash it on some undeserving person.

7. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    what would you like him to say? the Ravens suck and we should have blown them out.

thats a team the have to face minimum twice a year. they were the better team. their offense made the plays they needed and the Steelers defense didnt.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers get by on superior talent against lesser teams (this year the Pats fall into that category) but against even teams the coaching staff is almost always out coached. It's frustrating.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    One of the many, many annoying things about the loss is that it gives analysts an excuse to talk about how great Flacco is. Joe "more yards through PI calls than actual completions*" Flacco.

* Not an official stat.

10. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I know what you mean. I just got back from the gym, feeling a little better... still pissed though.

11. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda. It's hard knowing that we controlled our chances at running the AFC North and now we have to hope the Rats take a dump against sub-par opponents and we have to give Cinci their "coming-out" party! Haven't we been down this road before? It ain't over, it's just going to require more bitten fingernails than usual! Go Steelers!

12. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I want him to say that we sucked on 3rd downs and that we cant leave all these points on the board. We played a ****ty game against a team that is equal to us. We gave this game away.

13. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Lovembig...with all due respect I agree that Tomlin could have said something VERY different than his usual post game speech after this loss. He could have pinned this loss on himself and taken full responsibility for bad clock management (for the 2nd week in a row I might add) and for him not being more involved in some terrible calls made by his coordinators...and then behind closed doors...he could have lit Lebeau's ass and Arians ass.

-Delay of game penalty that takes you out of FG range is unacceptable
    -2 incomplete passes that could have been runs and taken a timeout from Balt and another 60 seconds off the clock is unacceptable
    -William Gay in single coverage with safety help arriving late, at a bad angle and behind him in the endzone when a TD is the only thing to beat us is unacceptable.

Those are the things he could have said. And no...I am not saying he should have publicly called out Arians or Lebeau in his press conference...but he could have easily said "I managed the clock terribly" and "we need to do better at closing these games out by running the clock out more effectively" and "we have to make sure the play happens in front of us when we are up by more than a FG".

To be quite honest, I do not tip my hat to Baltimore and neither should he. They are not a good team and we are 10 times better than them...but were outcoached once again. He don't have to publicly say Baltimore is a worse team than us, but he don't have to give them undue credit. I'm tired of his recorded post game messages as is many on this board. Its time to hold people accountable.

14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Too late for me....Several undeserving people have already faced my wrath :blackeye:

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I have to disagree with the highlighted portion of your statement. The coaching staff is part of the team. So, if the Ravens out-coached the Steelers then they were better, last night, due to out-performing the Steelers, in that phase of the game.

Tomlin may speak more to the issues once he's seen some film.

And yes, the delay of game that pushed the Steelers out of field goal range was unacceptable. I don't understand how that happened. It definitely SHOULD NOT have happened.

As many others have said... The Steelers left A LOT of plays out on that field, last night... *sigh*

16. spleeny09

Oct 27, 2011
    you're right rukus4ever...its pretty bad when you are so pissed off while typing that you overexaggerate what you're trying to say. We may not be 10 times better....but as far as the 53 man roster goes...we are much better offensivley and just as good defensively when healthy. I hate Harbaugh and it irritates me to no end to know that he and his staff has outcoached us twice this year. Gameplan was much better than ours in game 1 and playcalling and clock management was much better than ours last night...especially in crunch time.

We will rebound. Big game last night...but I'm still not ready to crown the Ravens AFC North Division winners as many others are.

17. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree @ 53 man roster. Ravens just made less mistakes and more splash plays, in that game. 23-20 does show that there isn't as large a disparity between these two teams as game 1 seemed to indicate.

The Steelers aren't even close to playing their best ball, yet. And that 23-20 score was while missing several defensive starters and a WR.

We're good. :cool:

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    We are really missing Troy right now. Its making a huge impact

Bman

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

LOL .....that's exactly what I did. The girl at the front counter at my gym is a huge Steeler fan too. None of us got the sleep we needed after that debacle....... :frustrated:

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    awefully inconsistant for this veteran of a team. :cool:

21. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Someone tell me what purpose Tomlin admitting that he made coaching mistakes serves. One of the things that I like about the Steelers and their coaching staff is that specific issues that need improvement are typically either kept behind the closed doors of the locker room - or - held until the Tuesday press conference. Tomlin is not a "knee-jerk" kind of guy that will make specific assessments just minutes after the clock turns to 0:00. After a loss - he simply says that the team got beat. Tip your hat - we played "below the line". He allows 48 hours to pass before he makes specific comments - and that allows him to know what and how much comment to make.

I know it may be frustrating that someone doesn't just stand up and say where things went wrong/right, but it really is the correct thing to do. Let the analysts and journalists do their jobs and comment on problems and issues for improvement. Let the coaching staff work with the team, behind-the-scenes, and keep things in-house. The players and other coaches sure appreciate it - thus, the tremendous amount of loyalty the Steelers have had over the years.

The Steelers are a unique franchise with a unique M.O. I prefer to keep it that way. Living in ClownsTown and having experienced at least 250 coaches in the past 12 years, I can say that the other way doesn't work. Their coaches make specific comments immediately after a game and the head coach speaks to the media on Mondays - not Tuesdays. It leads to MANY MANY misstatements, reactions, and the general mistrust of the players toward the organization and the coaching staff.

22. spleeny09

Oct 27, 2011
    Its not that I want him to admit mistakes...its that I sometimes wonder if they know they made mistakes. Especially when they come out and do the same stupid things over and over. You only make a mistake once....then the next time its no longer a mistake.