1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This might be the worst draft and Steelers history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We're the biggest example of building through the draft, including not moving around the draft board. We aren't the only ones though. Green Bay follows that model.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I like the way the Steelers use the draft more than free agency... but it would be nice if they would spend some money in free agency on a good corner.

3. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    -Steelers got a WR profootballweekly called the best WR in the draft (in rd 2)
    -They got an outside LB who at the worst will be solid
    -got the backup RB they needed
    -added an underrated CB in sutton, and an intriguing prospect in Allen
    -a QB who will replace Landry Jones at worse, could be Ben's successor best case.
    -Their 7th rd pass rusher has even gotten some good reviews.

Not the best draft but not a bad one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?

How much is that corner asking for? Few corners are worth their 10-12 million dollar a year price tag unless they are ridiculously talented circa 2014 Darrelle Revis.

Furthermore, an elite pass rush is what is needed to beat any quarterback, Brady or otherwise.

5. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I admire your optimism! Unfortunately, I don't agree with it. I think we should've gone completely different in the draft.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Steelers know how to build a team to contend now and in the future. Theres a reason they are the most successful franchise since 1990 and only second to NE since 2000.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Well.. the Seahawks seem to compete well with the Patriots and they have an elite secondary. Seahawks have a good D line too... but we never hear much about them.

Both times Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl... they were able to get pressure with 4, mostly from the middle... rarely from the edge. Steelers style of 3-4 is not built to get pressure up the middle. We haven't had an ILB that could get consistent pressure since Farrior was in his prime... and that was only when his number was called to blitz.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Intriguing indeed for both points.

For your first point, are we not accounting for players like Brandon Mebane, Bruce Irvin and Micheal Bennet because those three along with many others are big reasons why the seahawks demolished the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

Towards the second point, why simply just blitz from the inside. It is as I stated. An elite pass rush is the best way to attack any quarterback Brady or otherwise. This means one must be able to deploy and generate pressure from all sides and not just one area. Telegraphing such a strength not only showcases ones lack to attack elsewhere, it also opens up the gate for a mulit arrary of counter strategies your opponent can utilize.

On that note, contingency plans and counterattacks are what make Bill Belichick such a great coach. Any personnel weakness is already a big flag. Any schematic weakness equlas annihilation.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well Blast...

That is your opinion and not "MINDS"!!! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While this draft was going on I was no fan of this draft, however the more I look at this draft the better it looks.

So you really think Watt would have been there in the 2nd for our pick? Hmm Foster was picked right after our pick and players like Bowser, Anderson, Walker and Kpass were all picked before our 2nd pick. I am pretty sure TJ would not have made it to us. As far as him not being JJ I am not sure I read anywhere people thinking he was. We had 2 major needs and that was pass rusher and pass coverage......with the first pick we took a guy our front office feels will be a good pass rusher. For me that is good enough, I am not crazy about the pick but I trust our front office and therefore I am happy with it. As far as trading up for a CB this draft was loaded with them and OLB was a bigger need.

As far and the RB and QB pick I have no problem with them. I am not crazy about the RB pick, love the player and the story but I wanted a different kind of RB....and I have went back and forth on this to much already. The QB well that was a 4th round pick and I have read good and bad on him, more good than bad. I have no problem with Dobbs in the 4th, my problem was a RB and WR in 2 and 3. The NFL is a QB driven league and with Ben getting up there and Jones really not proving to be able to take over I like the pick.

The WR pick, like I said above I didn't like going RB and WR in 2 & 3 however when you look at the big picture this was a great pick. Bryant can't be trusted and is in his last year of his contract, are you ready to give him big money if he has a good year....I am not. Along with Bryant we have a big question in Coates and his health. So now we are down to our 4th WR and imo when you are an offensive team you need weapons. This pick is not just about this year but the next few so while I wasn't happy at first when you look more into it you will see how important it is. Of course Jones being taken right in front of us was a heart breaker for me so I am pretty sure whoever was picked I would have been mad.lol

I have nothing for the LS this pick put me over the edge on draft day, I do get it they were high on him and ready to replace Warren. We didn't draft a TE or S which were 2 deep positions in the draft but he draft a LS. That is my biggest problem, but to say this was the worst draft in history let me point out 2008 set us back many years and I feel cost us at least 1 more SB. JMO

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey Steel, how much have you looked into Connor? If you haven't, I think you'll like what you find, he's a little more what you are looking for than you might think. He doesn't have long speed but has good burst and lateral quickness and good zone runner. Im not saying he'll have Bells patience but he's good at recognizing gaps and attacking them.

He also has much better hands then people realize, he just wasn't used much that way in college.

And about Bryant, this isn't his last, we have him for 2 more years (if he doesn't blow it). But I expect him gone after his contract is up. Wont be able to afford him and too risky even if they could.

12. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    This draft wasn't the worst in Steelers history. I'll give you a breakdown of my thoughts on the draft.

Round 1: TJ Watt LB - A good pick for the Steelers. Shazier, Dupree, and Watt. Not forgetting about Harrison, Moats, Williams, and Chickillo. Lots of depth at that position.

Round 2: Juju Smith-Schuster WR - They didn't need to draft a WR, but they did. They already have Brown, Bryant, Coates, Rogers, Ayers, Hunter, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, and now this guy.

Round 3: Cameron Sutton CB - This was a good pick for us. We now have Burns, Cockrell, and Sutton. Also, William Gay is still on the team, so we should have no problem with him teaching the young CB's.

Round 3, Part 2: James Conner RB - Another good pick for the Steelers. The Steelers probably drafted him because we didn't resign Deangelo Williams. The Steelers now have a solid backup for Bell. Better yet, a local running back who got drafted by the Steelers, can you ask for a better story?

Round 4: Joshua Dobbs QB - A good backup QB for Ben. Landry Jones is now in competition for the backup position. Dobbs vs. Jones, can the veteran beat out the rookie?

Round 5: Brian Allen CB - Another good pick at the cornerback position. This now adds some depth to our DB position. Also, standing at 6'3" will give us a height advantage.

Round 6: Colin Holba LS - An interesting pick that shouldn't have happened. Even if Greg Warren is 35, they should've signed a long snapper after the draft.

Round 7: Keion Adams LB - Another linebacker was drafted by the Steelers, what a surprise. This just adds more depth to our linebacking core.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  13. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've been away from the board since the end of the season- which is customary for me to do for a couple months- but have been traveling in Europe again and missed the pre, during, and post draft talk.

Dropping by again with some questions from a guy completely out of the loop:

Was anyone really surprised at the Watt pick?

Is this Qb any good?

A long snapper? Seriously?

do they continue to expect that a CB taken in 3rd or later round will perform like a first rounder?

is Connor the Rocky Bleier of the 21st century?

Otherwise, I'm tempted to like this draft a bit.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But, aren't the few good FA corners typically way over priced? Are you suggesting over paying? Just asking.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was under the same predicament when his comment was brought up as well.

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast, I haven't looked into Connor at all. I have been wanting to watch a little on him, but I did read that they said he is more than a bull he can catch out of the backfield as well. And don't get me wrong it is very hard to dislike this pick, the story is great and the player is good. I am more disappointed in the round and style of running than anything but am coming around.

I totally missed that on Bryant I thought he was up at the end of the year. I still get why they went there, I had been one of those guys who had said before the draft if Davis fell I would consider him in the first so I am not all that upset with Juju in the 2nd. I believe with the injuries/suspension of Bryant, Coates, Green and DHB it showed we could always use more weapons. Anyways the picks are in and now it is onto the drive for #7.....Go Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey @jimmyallen45 , good to see you back. Where were you in Europe this time?

Was anyone really surprised at the Watt pick? In general, no. Aside from some who thought we should trade up/trade down.

Is this Qb any good? There's a video of him with Gruden which is well worth a look, and is pretty optimistic. He has smarts, and pace, but his accuracy has been called into question. It's a bit of a 'wait until training camp' one, though.

A long snapper? Seriously? I'm waiting (and expecting) something to happen in camp that will show us why the guy was picked there. Either that, or Tomlin has had his annual trolling of the fans pick again.

do they continue to expect that a CB taken in 3rd or later round will perform like a first rounder? I think the sense is that there was an early run on DBs, so we got who we could at the appropriate value.

is Connor the Rocky Bleier of the 21st century? I think there's a lot of upside to the pick, and if he not only overcomes astonishing adversity but also learns to tell amusing anecdotes about his head coach... then we'll have to say yes.

18. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Packer fans aren't happy about their GM not drafting TJ at 29:

Let’s get this out of the way right off the bat. The Pittsburgh Steelers are a perfect fit for T.J. Watt, whom they selected with the 30th pick of the first round on Thursday night. They’ve been playing a 3-4 defense longer, and better, than almost anyone in the NFL. As an outside linebacker, Watt is going to slide in and be a fit from Day 1 for them.

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/...-career-closely-badgers-two-first-round-picks

20. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Are you sure? Brady is rarely hurt by OLB hits.. So this would mean that the entire league plays the Pats without good OLB's?? I think Brady gets the ball out before the OLB has a chance to hit him on most plays.

21. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Our defense has not been the same since Farrior left.. he was smart, a great qb on D and hit hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Elite pass rush is what I stated. Not elite pass rusher.

An elite pass rush can consist of pressure generated at many angles on many sides in just about any formation at its beckon call.

Best recent example? 2015 Denver Broncos.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes and besides that, we have the horses in the middle to generate pressure, if they can generate pressure from the outside too, how are you going to block that?

24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I have resisted this thread for a while as the title is dumb, I can easily think of a few drafts worse than this one. I also get its a sound bite to blow off some steam over a draft someone doesn't fully understand and or like.

Watt- would have been gone in the 2nd and his upside is so high you can't pass him up.

JuJu- BPA on the board at the time..... Start chasing picks/players and you roster suffers. He's a solid WR who will block ( ward ). In the playoffs we had Brown and who??? Please tell me who else showed up. Coates and Bryant are unreliable but IF they show up look out defenses. I like Eli but upgrading him would be nice. Cobi is inconsistent and Ayers unproven.

Conner- nuff said- Bell is good when he's on the field!!! When he isn't we need someone and Conner is a nice addition.

Sutton- bye bye Golson and a much needed replacement is here.

Long Snapper- yeah. Warren is old and bad knees.... The trend in the NFL is drafting LS late in the draft and this guy was the best. Don't value a LS and you'll lose games!!!

I like Adams!!!! In 2-3 yra he's going to prove his worth.
    Same with Allen.

Cajun

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Simple. You elect to throw short, which in turn, plays to our defenses new aggressive strengths in press coverage, your quarterback will take hits or become one dimensional. Pick your poison.

Artie and Ross can use their athletic abilities and experience to get the jump on many receivers in the league if not every one not named Julio Jones as I see it.

Artie did well against a red hot AJ Green, locked down a 4.2 40, 6'3 speedster in Beshard Perriman (yet another reason I am all not that worried about Ross), and others in his rookie season. He did start off sluggish but improved in the second half far better than many give him credit for.

With a year under his belt and Ross being "Steady Eddie", as I see it, all we need is a good free safety. Hopefully Brian Allen can achieve that next year by showing some of those traits should the coaching staff elect to mold him into such this year in some limited capacity (again, big stretch but that is the hope). T.J. Watt should be fine heading into training camp given his "headstart" among others thanks in part to J.J. along with his desire and perseverance.

Should the front seven maintain health and Artie along with Seab have that "Sophomore Surge", our defense will be better and may possibly be ready this time as I see.