1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This might be the worst draft and Steelers history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    It's no use talking about drafting DB's, CB's in particular when you're picking 30th, 8 DB's inc 5 SB's had gone before the Steelers were on the clock. At the end of the draft you're not in the game for elite draftees at primo positions, so the Steelers when with Watt and later Shuster. To me, Watt is a huge boom bust player, and I think Colbert will be looking like a genius or will be wiping egg off his face early.

Shuster? Luxury or necessity? Impossible to tell right now, but with the Steelers offense never really reaching its potential because of dopes like Bell and Bryant and injuries always at the wrong time, and with a elite QB with a couple of years or so left Colbert probably felt he could not trust BRYANT or COATES and in his position would you? On top of that Ladarius Green is a complete waste of time.

Our 2 and 3 WR cannot be trusted, if he could he'd have had the flexibility to go elsewhere, Bryant is always one piss test away from being unavailable, and Coates has mangled fingers.

As for Dobbs? the likelihood we got a future franchise QB with him is pretty low, not that I dislike him at all, he is what he is a late round long shot with issues and upside. We know Jones isn't the answer that's for sure.

What's the best chance of replacing Ben? - Lose a lot and hope you lose a lot when its QB rich draft, and even then unless an Andrew Luck falls into your lap. If not, you could be looking for a decade for a franchise QB, that's the harsh NFL reality we have been sheltered from for the last 13 years.

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Was just reading and article ' hearts and smarts". I guess the steelers are going back to drafting players with no character issues. I guess, theyre going with the theory of having lesser talented/coverted players over these players with off the field issues. And with the LS, they've been looking for Warren's replacement for a couple of years now. This guy seems like a good one. They probaly jumped the gun on resigning Warren but, ots the 6th rd and the steelers normally waste this pick anyway

3. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    He did tear his achilles right? and you know he will be 100%...?

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Even though there's a chance he may return after a stint on the PUP, I would still have been comfortable if he didn't play until 2018. Why? Because it would have been a 2018 pick anyways.

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    That's up to medical. Obviously I have no knowledge that.

Eagles seem confident he will be ok.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dallas are heavy hitters in FA. They don't build through the draft. Last years success was very much do to Dak and Zeke.

This years draft, first 2 picks looks pretty good for them, I like Taco a lot, Chidobe is solid, not really a fan of Lewis. We'll see how those 3 work out but I would not look to Dallas as a team to mold your drafting strategies after.

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    It's difficult to say where Golson will be when he comes back, if he comes back.

At this point, I think it's a long shot Allen develops into a serviceable CB.

Possible. But not probable.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How can Golson come back to a place he never really was?

Deep thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I completely agree with you on the O-line being 80% of their success. I don't think Dak is as good as everyone thinks and especially Elliot is a massive product of that O-line. Cowboy fans say he's better than Bell. Pleazzzze! Put Bell behind that line and watch him torch defenses way more than Elliot. Now our O-line is pretty good but they have probably the best O-line in football with Oakland in second IMO.

I think people were just saying we should of picked more defensive players like the Cowboys. That's all they were saying in relation to the Cowboys. The Cowboys have nothing on us!

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dallas built their whole offensive line through the draft...which is THE biggest reason why Zeke and Zak were successful.....so I think they did pretty well there.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you suggesting Dallas builds through the draft like we do? Pretty sure we are the only team to do that.

Seeing as we have the best record sine 1990, I'd give the nod to our drafting prowess over the Cowboys.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not saying they draft better than us but you claimed they don't build through the draft...the entire reason for their resurgence and success Is based around what has been considered the best O line in football for years....and it was built through the draft.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That's not building through the draft, that's one unit. Dallas is heavily involved in free agency, they are not a team that builds through the draft.

Additionally, that line didn't lead them anywhere 2 seasons ago, Dallas sucked until Dak and Zeke. Those 2 picks have been their best selections.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Dallas sucked because they had NO QB when Romo got hurt....they built their BEST unit and now who you say is the keys to their success through the draft as well....but I also do remember a guy named Demarco Murray who was also among the best RBs in thel league at the time because of that OL...the one they built through the draft. You need at least decent QB play to be good in the NFL and the biggest reason Dak did good was because of that OL and also the reason Zeke was as successful as Murray before him....a RB is only as good as his OL and the fact that they were able to run the ball so effectively it took a lot of pressure off of Dak.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, I guess according to your definition, every team builds through the draft.

Pittsburgh builds through the draft, nearly their entire team is furnished through the draft, year after year.

As far as who is more responsible for them doing well, the line or QB/RB? Steelers won for years without a line. Dak and Zeke are more important to that teams success.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    we can go back and forth forever probably :smiley1:...teams usually choose the build their teams through the draft either on O or D based on their HC or GM or in the case of the Cowboys the owners son....who convinced his father to build the O line into the best in the league for quite a few years runnIng now...very rarely can you build the O and the D at the same time...they chose O. Their recent success is because of the draft they chose to go O first and are now trying to bring their D up to par. We won for years because of our D first and foremost because we chose to spend high draft picks on it. We slowly focused our efforts on O to get them to the point they are now and now we are trying to bolster our D through the draft. We won with a weak OL because of a D that made up for the shortcomings on our O and a QB who is probably the best ever at making nothing into something....

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I never thought Id have this argument with a Steelers fan :lolol:

Steelers build through the draft. Everyone else uses draft and free agency to field a team.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If these don't make it then the Steelers are screwed, it's on Carnell Lake to coach these guys up.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If these don't make it then the Steelers are screwed, it's on Carnell Lake to coach these guys up.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't forget we've had our share of key FA signings.....Potsie and Ryan Clark come to mind. So you can say we use free agency as well....I'm not gonna go back in history to figure out a percentage of draft picks to free agents of every team....I don't really care what other teams do honestly and I don't care how we build our team as long as it works . One more point though now that think about it...Dallas built their last dynasty almost entirely from the draft...Aikman,Emmit,Irvin,Harper etc... In any case I'm done ....Go Steelers!

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

[​IMG]

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    lol...the only thing dumber than this argument ....is that movie:smiley1:

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh thats it, Im done talking to you :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oooops! It's all good....

• Like Like x 1
  25. William Larson

William Larson Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Real steel is spot on, this draft was a joke:this!:.....the deepest draft on the D side of ball in years....I thought we should have gone D with 1st 4 picks.....The Ravens need help on O side of the ball, but look at the players they drafted, they loaded on D......My draft grade C-, and it's only that high because of Watt :thumbs_up: