1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This might be the worst draft and Steelers history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I hate the Cowboys but that's exactly what we should of done. We don't need a RB or WR, especially in the second round for a receiver and third round for a RB. There were safety's and DB's to be had.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who cares!? What Dallas or Baltimore done. We done what we needed to. I think people forgot how bad our offense was with brown and a bunch of other guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I like the players they drafted, but not sure why some of them were. I can see why a lot of people are pissed though.

After the 1st pick, most people were happy, or at least not mad.

Then they take what many people believe an unnecessary WR, in the 2nd round no less. And the WR they took is about as unsexy a 2nd round WR as you could take. I like JuJu, but he's not a sexy 2nd rd WR pick.

Then they finally get around to taking a DB in the 3rd. A position that a lot of people wanted at least 2 of by rd 3. And the guy they took doesn't have a big name and there's nothing remarkable about him. He's average to below average all around.(size/speed)

Then they take a slow RB much higher than a lot of people thought they should take a RB, let alone that particular RB. It doesn't help when the GM tries to assure everyone, right away, that this was not a sentimental pick.

Then the QB. Haven't heard too many people excited about this pick. Most people get the pick though.

Then, an unknown DB with some good upside.OK.

The nail, of course, was the long snapper. People were already disgruntled, then you draft a LS. SMH. After just resigning your other guy BTW.

After that Keion Adams was an afterthought.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Before the draft I advocated about trading our 2018 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick this year somewhere in the mid 3ps ir so.

With this I would have drafted CB Sidney Jones.

We are likely still going to go into the 2018 draft needing corner help. We are likely going to be picking somewhere in between #26-32. Unlikely there will be a corner as good as Sidney Jones available.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't have a exact scenario but I'm pretty sure they could of used either their 3rd comp or 4th-6th to move up a couple of spots and heck yeah maybe even something next year if that's what it would of took. If everyone is so sure we are gonna get back to the point we were last year and picking in the 30s again then why not since it seems picking in the 30s of a round is like picking a whole round later....so on paper it's a 3rd but it's "really" a 4th. I'm not buying it....

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    For sure we don't ....but history tells us they almost never do. So I'm going with ,they didn't try too hard.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    But they have done it, so you know they are willing.

Now trading back is something that I can't remember them ever doing, that complaint would have more merit.

8. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I could be wrong but i think i remember reading recently that with Jarvis Jones not being re-signed, there is no one left on the Steelers from the 2013 draft class. That has to be the worst in recent memory.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    True but in the playoffs they were without Green, Bryant, Coates was useless. It would've been more better to assume those 3 guys can help you in 2017, then load up on defense like Dallas did.

10. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So you're okay with Sidney Jones not playing at all this year? I wanted him too but it is the hardest injury for a DB to come back from. I guess i just wanted them to double dip with someone more experienced and ready than Allen.

11. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think assuming is a very good strategy. We ain't the browns

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In 2018 they should be alright at CB, the only FA of note is Cockrell, Gay is too old and will be gone.
    Burns
    Sutton
    Golson
    Allen if he develops
    Draft pick

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So Dallas has a couple nice picks last season and suddenly they are the gold standard? We should be looking to them on how to draft?

They've been abysmal for nearly 2 decades.

You guys sure have little faith in a team that has been among the best for 2 decades.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not totally sold on the cowgirls yet myself. I think they're more a product of a good o line than a truly dominate qb or rb. I would take our scouts over theirs any day. And our ownership??? Child please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but Ben is signed for 3 more years so load on defense and get in win now mode. If you want to beat New England load up on OLB and DB, you're not going to win by trying to outscore them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I thank you will be pleasantly surprised when u see what Sutton can do. If watt is what they think then him and dupree with James and moats as back ups we should be fine. A healthy heyward. Hopefully senquez can play. I feel pretty good

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Trading up to get a corner would have been foolish IMO. I was hoping they'd land a good overall OLB that can rush the passer in the first round. i think they got one. If he's half as good as J.J than we've been successful. He only has 6 whole sacks to be more productive rushing the passer than Jarvis Jones. I don't think you will be complaining about this pick in a year's time.

I find it funny people year in and year out are wrong on their draft pick prognosis. We will never know how these players progress until they step on the field. The Steeler's FO believes they are a good fit for the team.

I think when all is said and done, we'll look back on this draft as a pretty decent one.

As for the long snapper taken in the 6th round, I can hardly complain that we wasted a pick here. Obviously the FO thinks this guy was worthy of picking him then for whatever reason. Long snappers are pretty important ultimately. I have no problem with using a 6th rounder on getting the guy they wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think the RB we took in the 2nd that year is still hanging on to a roster spot in the league somewhere...:smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Really? I think we scored a ton of points this past year. Don't forget Le'Veon as a receiver to. When all healthy we were unstoppable most of the time. Your right who cares about what anyone else did. I'm just saying what they did is what we should of done. That's taking a lot of defensive players, like CB's and a Safety. I truly don't see the need for a running back and receiver taken so early, in the later rounds maybe. Oh well it's all said and done so we'll have to see how it plays out.

20. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Watt is such a great pick (and will be a monster) that for me this draft will be remembered as a success.

In my perfect world the Steelers would have taken Wormley in the 2nd and Butt in the 4th. You can never have enough 6'5" DE that can play and by all accounts Butt was the best blocking TE in the draft by far.

Like always though, now that they are Steelers I will root for all 8 of these guys to become superstars.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It's been said multiple times, but being that we were drafting at the end of each round, there is only so much you can do, everytime I looked at the ticker and saw GB and Dallas directly in front of us I just couldn't help thinking how much it sucked they needed BIG time help on the defense, probably worse then us. Just curious, those who are complaining about not picking a defensive player in each of the first four rounds, were you the same ones complaining how we "reached" on Burns and Davis last year?

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know... to me this is pretty sexy in the football sense....

• Like Like x 2
  23. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Damn sexy

24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That means that they are the product of more than just two good draft pics in one year. They have built a pretty good foundation and stuck with HC for a respectable stretch now.

BTW - I hate them with all my guts and more than any other team in the league. Then Baltimore, Cincy, New England, Miami (I spent my formative years in South Florida).

25. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    THIS!

Antlanta proved that and the Pats proved it to us a game before.