1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This might be the worst draft and Steelers history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just thought there would be more picks on the D side.
    Dallas picked 7 out of 9 to fix their D.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Baltimore' s first 4 picks.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do agree with the safeties to an extent.

Brian Allen did have some experience playing safety at Utah. Granted, a 6'3 centerfielder is going to need to work on his tackling in those situations where he really is the last line of defense.

Sutton is pretty much a slot corner but a very good to possibly great one in due time.

Agree with the linebacking corps. Really wanted Obi but considering Green Bay traded out, TJ was like Bud Dupree two years ago; no brainer.

JuJu Smith Schuster should see some playing time. How much will depend on his growth in OTA's, minicamp and training camp; the preseason games being litmus tests.

James Conner the same. A good contingency plan considering the fact that, much like Willie Parker, those wheels are starting to show some wear and tear. Not massive amonts but you can see some damage for sure.

Loved the Dobbs pick. Very bright, both academically and athletically. Just needs to work on his accuracy.

Colin Holba will not surprise me either if he is even a startet by then.

Keion Adams.... good depth.

Just my two "SENTS" Steel.

4. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    We got no beef at all, weird draft. Our identity has definitely changed, we aren't your daddy's Steelers anymore. Obviously, I would of liked to seen more defense, but I'm not going to be mad over it, time will tell.

5. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We drafted Doobs when Butt was still there.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We have Jesse, he's the same TE. If they were going to draft a TE, needed to be a seam guy.

Now we have to hope Green can make it through the whole season.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, Dallas, Baltimore and some other teams as well. That's why it was tough for us to fill defensive needs with top talent. We were drafting at the bottom of every round. I, for one, am glad we didn't reach for defensive talent if we had higher rated players elsewhere. Would I have liked a trade-up in the 2nd? Yes, but I only have a sliver of the info that the team has.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you know Lambert used to snap for extra points?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No I actually didn't know that. Really?

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was somewhat young at the time, and there was no YouTube. But I remember them talking about him being too lite. So when he would snap he would drop to the ground and the 2 guards would lean into the middle to fill the void.

I have no idea if this was regular, or fill in the blank because of injury,

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd rather have 4 playmakers and positions filled rather then just staying put and drafting the leftovers.
    I just feel we are not agressive enough....for a team that build through the draft.
    What did we prove, again ? That Ben has no excuses for not leading this team to the superbowl? That he has more weapons then you can shake a stick at? That we should avg 30pts a game on offense? Whats different from last year? Thats just my questions on offense....
    Can coach Lakes find anymore excuses ...for why, this group of db's won't contribute to the team or make the team?
    Why didnt we address the safety and Inside linebacker position?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The 1975 Steelers draft had 21 players. Only 3 made the team and only one of them recorded stats, a 14th round RB named Mike Collier. It will be hard to top that one as the worst ever.

Draft grades are usually accurate 3-4 years down the road. For now it's wait and see.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    08 is definitely the worst in recent memory. Weren't most of the people from that class gone in just a few years?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    I don't know why everyone is so down on this draft... it's my favorite draft in a long time..... we got our edge rusher in rd 1, we got insurance if martavis hasn't grown up and if he has then we don't have to rely on Sammie coates I love the juju pick, I've said since February I want Cameron Sutton in 2 years you will be saying I can't believe this dude wasn't a first rounder I love him, and john Conner is a strait beast he will compliment juice really well.... only pick that I didn't love was dobbs but he's worth a later round gamble

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Yep. Mendenhall saved it from being a complete whif.

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Loved the Watt pick in round one. Round two, I was really wishing we had a chance at Obi Melifonwu, even if we traded up, but that didn't happen. The Long Snapper was a wasted pick in my opinion. The kid would probably still be available to sign as an undrafted rookie. Don't have an opinion on JUju yet.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have we gotten closer to beating the Pats with this draft class?
    Could Steeler management been more proactive?

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like many have said you can't grade a draft for a couple of years. I think the sting of losing to the pats is still strong and many of us have been searching for the players and the answers to beating them. Many were hoping to find those players in this draft. Yeah theoretically a hybrid type S/LB would help ,a prolific man to man CB would go a long way and a great pass rushing OLB would be lovely. I like the Watt pick the upside is definitely there but it t doesn't seem like we were able to get the other pieces ,so it's a little frustrating that we took a WR and a RB too soon imho as well. The players we took can be productive for us but if you put it in the context of actually being enough to beat the pats the answer is ....

I personally would of liked to see us be more aggressive and trying to move up a couple spots here and there to try and get players with higher ceilings. There doesn't seem to be too many holes to fill on this roster so I feel we could of easily packaged some picks to move around . We like throwing 5ths and 6ths around like candy anyway...
    Sometimes harsh reality is the best medicine it wasn't gonna matter who we picked and when we picked we weren't going to be able to get the pieces needed to beat them. They went all out this offseason and made themselves even better adding even more weapons to a offense that already dismantled our team and seemed to have improved their D as well. We may have added some nice pieces in the draft that may help us to stay competing for our division and playoffs but the truth is if our road has to go through them it's just not gonna happen. As long as Brady and Bill are there we will never beat them when it counts. You have to play the perfect game...ask the Falcons. We don't have the players,the coaches or the makeup to be able to do that....so the answer to your questions is No and Yes.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I thought this draft was a good one considering we picked close to last in each round, you cant rate this draft like we were picking in the top 10, they only picked 2 on offense and the rest was DE Corners and a long snapper, not a bad draft at all and they rate a B+ by some anlalysts including me and the only thing holding them back from an A is because they didnt have higher picks, heres hoping we pick at 32 in the next draft...

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...day-three-review-analysis-breakdown-nfl-draft

• Like Like x 2
  20. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Let me here the trade scenario with us trading some of our #30 picks... or are you thinking to trade next years picks also?
    we basically had a round 2 pick for watts then basically a top 3,4,4,5,6,7,udfa to trade.....

21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We can add this to the realsteel draft collection- 2016- "The Bengals screwed us again" and 2015- "What? No Cornerback in the first round again"

I could have gone further back, I'm sure. But it got kind of repetitive.

22. Jmos3

Jmos3 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    At first I wasn't a fan of this draft. That was mostly because guys I was high on were picked within a few picks ahead of the Steelers each round. Now after a little bit of time to cool down. A lot of their picks make to much sense and I'm glad they picked who they did.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yup. Just a maintenance type draft. Management thinks we have enough key talent to win it all and I would agree we have the potential, but between Bell never finishing a full season (both regular and playoffs), other player injuries, suspensions, it seems we never have all our key people on the field and never have Super Bowl drive type of momentum.

24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well...the one that comes to mind is we could have traded our future long snapper to move up in a round.

HACK

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How do you guys know they didn't try to move up?