1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This might be the worst draft and Steelers history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    seriously
    TJ Watt is not JJ Watt
    We could've got him in the second round

Steelers needed to trade up to get
    A corner

We also draft a running back and quarterback that will never see the field

Oh and we draft a long snapper are you effing kidding me a long snapper this team will not win anything this year

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not my favorite but not that down on it.

Optics aren't great though. One of the best defensive drafts in a while and we grab a WR early, RB, QB, long snapper and convert WR to CB.

As always I'll hold out hope.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    *Gasp!!!

Blast, Thigpen, Steel!!!

He has returned!!!

Best of all Real Steel, I have this to say;

That is your opinion and not "MINDS"!!!

:roflmao::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I completely agree it's been terrible.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How many roster spots are really available, not many....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    For some reason, I feel so much better about our first round pick now. :)

7. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It definitely questionable when it tries to pass the eye test, but look at it deeper, we are picking 30th we aren't going to get the cream of the crop, and are primarily drafting on potential more then the earlier picks. I believe the Watt pick is going to pan out in a big way, he already knows how to be a pro from his older brothers and is only scratching the surface of his potential at the position. 10 DB's were taken before our second, and were actually considering Sutton there, but were able to solidify our our wr corps beyond Brown, which has been suspect of late. Sutton we got in the third and Colbert is on record of saying he wanted him in the second. Conner, who is backing up Bell?? Steelers are super familiar with Conner interacting with him on the daily in the facility. The second day does seem to make you wonder, but think about if Ben actually did retire this year, you counting on Landry to take over, we needed something, would Peterman have been better? guess we will see in the years to come. Allen is raw, but is the height speed guy we haven't had since Ike, hopefully this converted WR pans out as well as Ike did, who was also a converted WR. The LS, I dunno, could we have gotten him in the 7th? we'll never know that. It is a position that is overlooked, but it is a position. We just haven't had to think about it for 12 years because Warren is so solid, this is obviously a salary move, Warren has to be making bank (in LS terms) being a 12 year veteran. Trading up and down is just something the Steelers don't do, I don't know if it is right or wrong, but it's how they roll and they have been pretty successful to date. They also have a knack for identifying late round talent, so I am going to trust that they don't see the next AB or Keisel there so take the LS this year so you don't have to take it in next years draft where there may be a prospect they are much higher on.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We drafted players of need and who could have an impact right now. Need somebody to come off the edge. Another DB. Got to start think ahead and start prepping someone for after Ben unless you want a Landry Jones ran Steelers team. Needed a back-up RB. LS who could start and save us 600k in cap.

What's the issue? You wanted 8 dbs and defensive players. 2 might see the field, 1 back up, and other 5 on PS or cut. Armchair GMs need to relax. Colbert the best in the biz.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Feel free to hop off the band wagon anytime

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, there's the seal of approval. Reel Steel doesn't like it, means it's the best draft ever.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    "Well, you took the words right out of my mouth..."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good to hear from you.

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I like our 1st 4 picks big time. NO problem from me on this draft.

I would feel much better if they didn't let Keenan leave the building a second time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So much this

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Only pick I question is the LS. All others are okay with me. I don't know the players specifically, but I take solace in they drafted the positions of need. OLB, WR, CB, QB, CB, DE/OLB. Maybe we could of went for the positions in different rounds. But I challenge people to look at who was left after our pick? 30th in each round is at the bottom. And all those who wanted to trade up you have to remember you have to have someone willing to trade with. Plus you are mortgaging future picks. If you keep playing with house money you will end up with 4 picks in a draft. And knowing we are not players in free agency, we have to keep those draft picks close to the vest.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Overall, I was feeling luke warm about it, but now I suddenly feel like it was a home run.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    May be the tallest Steeler draft class ever, only one shorty at 5'11".

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw the title of this thread because someone had replied to it. Then I thought "Did Martavis Bryant Start This Thread" because of how terribly it was written. Then I thought "The only person dumb enough here to write something as stupid as 'and Steelers history' is the moron ravens fan that sometimes frequents this place. I was correct. Excellent trolling from our resident Cheshire Cat. Nice play on the Martavis tweet. Now that I think about it....Real Steel could very well be Martavis Bryant. He would have gotten away with it if not for us meddlesome kids too!

• Like Like x 2
  19. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014

Should have picked up Kaaya.. had a 4 way qb battle.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Along with the 600k, Greg Warren has had surgeries. His expiration date has long past. People underestimate a LS's value, until you miss the game winning FG.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    ...or until you see James Harrison long snapping... LOL!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    People will never be happy so whatevs

23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I want to go on record now. april 29 2017. I think we have 4 guys who in 4 or 5 years will be starting and 2 that will start this year. I think watt and smith-Schuster will both be major contributors this year.

I think Sutton and adams will both end up being very good. the more I look and talk to people, and trust me I have people very close to him, dobbs will be ready to replace ben. he is gonna be a sponge.

the thing I am most pleased with. none of these guys are gonna cause off the field problems

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    My concern is:

I came into this draft wondering who our starting CB opposite Artie Burns will be long term. Is the answer Cameron Sutton or Bryan Allen? I don't think so. Sutton profiles more as a nickel. Allen is a project and a gamble. Could pay off big but the odds are against it.

Who is our term starter at FS? I was hoping to see that person draft. In one of the deepest Safety classes I've ever seen, we failed to take one.

WR needed to know who our log term OLB opposite Bud Dupree wad going to be. That will hopefully be TJ Watt.

I wanted to wait a year on Vince William, hoping he would prove he can be a starter. I'm pulling for him.

When Harrison decides to hang it up we will still be looking for OLB depth.

My point is, the concerns I will have going into the 2018 draft will very much be sa me concerns I had 3 days ago.

I'm not sure how much this draft will help us in 2017. Watt is a 1 year starter jr and JuJu was the youngest player in the draft and is staring at a crowded WR corps.

As I mentioned earlier, do not be surprised if 6th round pick, long snapper Colin Holba is one of the bigger contributors to 2017.