1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

this league and football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kolbassi, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    the more i think about it, that decision was 100% wrong. you get the ball probably at the 25 yard line, if you gain nothing, a 45 yard punt puts the ravens in the exact same position and the defense needs a stop anyway. that way you get a extra possession with the ball in a ten minute overtime.
    if duck dynasty gets even 1 first down, the punt puts the ravens backed up further. stupid decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I couldn't agree more. I'd like to thank the NFL and the Steelers for freeing up my Sundays. See ya!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Because of the rule changes the game has become unwatchable. It would have been unthinkable for me just 5 years ago to miss a Steeler game but I have to admit the only game I have seen this year was the Monday night game against the Bengals.
    Sundays are a day I spend with my grandkids and they have priority over football.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Dude it blows my mind you don't get this but I guess it shouldn't.

If you have no faith in your offense what difference does it make if you kick it off or not. You still need to score. Unless the argument is “Tomlin thought the defense had a better chance of scoring” it makes no sense .

If we opt to receive it, we get a chance to win the game with a TD. If we dont get a TD maybe a FG puts us up by 3.? and then that amazing defense that Tomlin and you seem to think we have could stop them for the win no?

Giving them the ball gave them a chance to win the game with a TD. Also required us to come up with a stop and also required us to score - if the goal was to win anyway. So this idea that kicking it makes sense is wacked.

There might be 3 or 4 defenses in the history of the league were maybe it made more sense to kick it - this defense is not one of them.

That 3rd string QB and running game was moving the ball with ease btw . This is classic Tomlin having his head up his ass. Not many coaches opt to kick it off. There are other bad coaches so Im sure it happened but the majority take the ball. This is like Tomlin’s jack ass idea of going for 2 on every TD.

I didnt even get into the sloppy play and calls to start the game. The team has talent. Its just not a sharp team.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    A lot of what ifs and probablys right?

The scenario played out exactly the way coaches envision. Defense make a stop and get the ball back. Unfortunately Ravens player made a great play on Juju to help end the game.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Neither team scores, the team that had the ball first gets the extra offensive possession. Its questionable if there would be 4 possessions within 10 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry you are the one who doesn't get it.

I understood why Tomlin choose to give the ball away in OT under the circumstances. The Steelers had a rookie QB thrown into a difficult situation, they had the opportunity to choose the good side of the field for a potential game winning FG, more faith the defense could make a stop and get the ball back.

The decision played out as Tomlin expected on defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Why are people playing the what if game when the situation played out as Tomlin expected? That's the definition of stupidity.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Because winning is in the details. Why does Bush enter the neutral zone and get called for encroachment on a 4th & 6? Why does the team start the game with 5 penalties in the first 15 plays? Why can't the defense force a punt when the game is on the line?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    As I've said before Goodell is the worst commissioner I've ever seen. Greed has destroyed this game and it's made the owners sacrifice it for the sake of lining their pockets. I get it's a business but for me in many ways it's gone too far. I guess all pro sports have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    He didn't enter the neutral zone. It was a bad/questionable call IMO. One of several bad calls in the game. The defense forced a punt in over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I tend to agree with you on that, but 4th and 6 and the Ravens not interested in snapping the ball, players have to be smarter and not even be close to getting in neutral zone.

13. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. Players need to be smarter. There isn't a coach in the league that coaches players to jump off sides.

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    No, but there are coaches who teach situational football awareness. I know Tomlin talks about situational football, but this example of an encroachment penalty, shows a lack of awareness, that often leads to defeat in close games. Do you remember last year when Switzer and another player failed to recover a kickoff? Another example of having a brain fart.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was at this game.... definitely one of the most flag ridden games I have ever witnessed in person. Such a bad call on roughing the passer by Steelers, I forget if that was on Vince or Ola?

16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Moral to the story. Players make mistakes regardless of what they were taught by coaches. After all players are human.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ola, hoping it doesn't get into his head and he plays scared going forward.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    One thing that isn't being considered is the field position battle in OT. If the elect to receive and get stopped by their own 40 or over midfield they can punt and pin the Ravens deep again. Force a Ravens punt and you are looking at better field position for a Boz winning field goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I miss the gladiators. Mma needs to bring the weapons back.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    yes Ice and Turbo were just deadly with that tennis ball cannon. Contestants really needed the 5 D's of dodgeball when going up against that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Field position! How many times do you have to have it spelled out? Tucker was pinning them inside the 15 on KO's!

Jackson had already throw 3 picks and they really weren't moving the ball well in the second half without help by penalties.
    You mean the offense that turned the ball over in FG range for Tucker to lose the game? That offense that was going to drive 80+ yards?

22. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    That's the perfect scenario, sure. The way it played out was fine too though, because the D got the stop. Ya gotta think we ended up with better field position than if we would have chosen to receive, judging from the kick returns all game. And we're driving for a fg to win it.
    It's like going for it on 4th down...it was the right decision, only because it didn't backfire.

23. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    That’s the only game I’ve seen so far this year. I’m not gonna jump through hoops to find the game anymore. Not until there are serious changes in the coaches.

Goodell and his garbage was the end of my NFL watching days. I used to watch as many games as I could. Those days have been over for some time. And I don’t buy NFL merchandise. I may change if Goodell ever goes away. But not until that happens.

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Nothing above matters, we lost. Move on to the Bolts and hope for a miracle.

25. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lets face it, its flag football with professional athletes. Fantasy stats and gambling have taken over this league. Vegas sets the spreads and rarely loses. The games might not be fixed but some calls that swing game momentum sure have me wondering.

• Agree Agree x 1