1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is where we want to be.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeldefense08, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the position we wanted to be in. We are currently a #2 seed and a win tonight puts us at #1. PLus we got the final 2 games against sub-500 teams. It cant play out any better to control our destiny for the #1 seed.

2. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. That being said, play Ben if he can go, hope to get him for half a game, our defense with w healthy Woodley shut down the 49ers Offense, and get a win.

If not, we sit Ben the next 2 weeks and accept that we will most likely be the #5. I think we could win the last 2 weeks with a backup QB, but I don't count on both the Ravens and Pats losing again.

Of course, I think we should win tonight.....

3. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    ESPN reported this morning that Ben will start.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    now that is some good news....I hope he has the sense to throw the ball away tonight and not get killed

5. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This is going to be another dog fight, low scoring game. SF is #2 in the NFL in ball possession, the steelers are #3. They are #1 against the run as well. Ben is going to have to win it through the air and just how mobile will he be?

It was nice to see the ratbirds get their taints handed to them and give us a shot at the division. Time to take advantage!!

FYI - Tomlin is 7-0 on Monday Night.

:herewego!:

:godell: x 1,000

6. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I would expect Ben's game to look a little different tonight. Ben may be wreckless but he isn't stupid. He knows he needs to get through this game in good shape in order to continue to heal. The coaches reported that his mobility is good enough to allow him to play, but I'm sure that he and the coaches will be well aware of his limitations. It's just good news that he's going to be out there. It just adds to his legacy and gives the Steelers their best chance to win the game.

7. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    I just hope the realigned Oline can do their job in protecting and blocking

8. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Personally, I see them stepping it up and protecting Ben. However, if they don't - and we should know early - then they need to get Ben out of there.

9. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Unfortunately, there are some scenarios where being the #1 seed in this conference is not so desirable. The problem is that the South and West division winners are not that good. The rare situation exists where the #5 seed is actually the third best team. Consider this...

In the wild card round, the Ravens would be substantial favorites to defeat Denver (assuming they hang on and win the West). In the other Wild Card game, it's possible that Cincinnati could travel to Houston. As much as I like the Bengals' young team, they might not win this game on the road. That puts Houston in New England and...Baltimore in Pittsburgh. New England gets a cake walk at home, while the Steelers have to take care of Baltimore.

10. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Being a #5 seed you most likely will have to play both NE and Baltimore in their houses to get to the SB. I would rather take my chance having to beat them both at Heinz Field, after a bye.

11. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Now that's just being picky! Lol!!! My goodness, look at the blessing we have just received with the Ravens losing to SD! We could not have asked for anything more! Last night basically erased the painful loss we suffered on November 6th with 8 seconds remaining, a game we should not have lost! We have been given a 2nd chance and it's time to claim the #1 seed and play our games at Heinz in January!!!

12. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I should have been more specific. I meant being the #2 seed could be more advantageous; not being the #5 seed.

13. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will take any home game vs. a road game, especially in the playoffs. Even if it means beating Baltimore and NE at home. And who knows how it will play out. Baltimore is a much different team on the road, unless they play the Steelers, when they seem to play their best.

I think either a healthy Cincy team or even a Jets team has a chance to beat Houston. I am not convinced Yates can lead them to their first playoff win. Especially if Johnson does not get healthy before the end of the year.