1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is starting to piss me off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/roethlisberger-says-he-still-hasnt-heard-from-haley/

All this stuff is just fodder for the media, and will probably mean nothing ultimately, but holy crap Ben... GROW THE F*CK UP! Guess what I go to work every day and sometimes I deal with people I don't like, I get over it, and work to do the best job I can.

How about being the bigger man? Get Haley's phone number, call him up, and say we're stuck with each other... Let's go out there and kick some ass.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is not Bens fault at all leave him alone

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I blame the PGH media number one, but I blame Ben too for not just extinguishing the talk.

I love Ben as our QB, and wouldn't trade him for any QB other than maybe aaron rodgers... but he's a drama queen.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Come on everybody, stop acting like this is all one person's fault. The media wants a story, and BOTH these men are giving it to them. If they don't want to talk to each other because it's the offseason, that's fine with me and it's nobody's fault. If they don't want to talk to each other because they don't like each other even though they don't know each other, then they are both immature and it's the fault of both of them. But it's not like it's automatically the job of one person to introduce himself, so I don't see how we could blame only one of them. I don't buy that it's Haley's job just because he's the coach. Ben is a grown ass man. He knows what he should do.

Haley's press conference was for the owners, not the players, and that was a mistake in my opinion. He could have said all that stuff behind closed doors and made an effort to be likeable. And Ben shouldn't have gone out and said, "Uh, gee, I don't know about this guy..." They are both the tools the media wants them to be. I just wish that they'd realize there's a way around their problems, and it's to work together and score some points. But I guess the staring contest continues...

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yay at more media drama. I could care less about this...doesnt matter to me one way or another...same with 99% of the other off season stories that have or will come out. Thats why I dont care to read the garbage like this.

6. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    really? i see this completely the other way around. them not communicating yet is 100% on todd haley. he's the coach. he's the leader. ed bouchette even said as much to florio. he suggested haley should seek ben out and introduce himself and is surprised he hasn't.

people are acting like ben is being immature, holding press conferences, and whining that haley hasn't talked to him yet. that's just not the case. people (specifically, some obscure beat write from the trib-review) are shoving a mic in ben's face (or maybe just casually asking him in passing?) and asking him if he'd heard from haley yet. ben remarks that he hasn't and, whaddya know, next day there's a headline reading "Ben Upset - Still Hasn't Heard From Haley!" the way the media is reporting it is silly but this remains a real area of concern for this football team moving forward.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This isn't a big deal but I'd say it's on Haley to set up a meeting. That said, he hasn't met with any offensive players yet. Most likely he is doing his homework on each player and then will meet accordingly. This just boils down to media idiots being bored. Nothing to see here folks,move along.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

The media will always try to create a story. But I think Ben has said too much. He has made comments along the lines of "I've talked to a lot of people and have heard the good things and the bad things, etc.". I don't think Ben should have mentioned that he's talking to other people around the league about Haley's shortcomings, which is certainly the perception. Maybe what Haley is saying is okay, Ben, when you get finished conducting your league wide interviews about the kind of coach I am why don't you let me know and we'll schedule some time together.

9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So either Haley is too thick-headed to know he is snubbing Ben or he is doing it on purpose. How does either of those cases help the Steelers? If this is some directed attempt to put Ben in his place, they should just trade him now and get the best draft picks they can because that is a recipe for disaster. Does anyone really think that Ben is going to react well to Haley's tough love? The Steelers have 2 choices, whether they know it or not, continue to kiss Bens a.. and let him play his style of play, or they can trade him. I don't see any other choice. Ben isn't going to change when half the teams would start him immediately just the way he is. Personally, I am OK with either choice because they both have merits. But I am afraid that egos will prevail, and there will be a lost season or two where everyone is d... measuring instead of playing ball. IMHO.

10. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hmmmmm, doesn't our head coach have some responsibility here? He's the leader of the team, who made the hire, and has perhaps the biggest vested interest in making this a positive transition to an all new offense. Yet not a word from him. Wouldn't he be the guy who should bring Haley and Ben together so they can start playing nice? I know it's the off season and I'm not suggesting film study sessions yet but how about setting up a lunch date for the three of them? Tomlin needs to put on his big boy pants and be the leader for once.

11. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right, it is fodder for the media... and you are doing exactly what they want you to do. Talk about it and post a link.

12. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe Tomlin hasn't "done anything" because he sees it the way the rest of the franchise looks at it: as a nonissue. The season hasn't even officially started yet. I just can't see this as being anything more then a media creation.

13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  14. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    a guy with a todd haley photo as his avatar blaming this lack of communication between haley and big ben on . . . mike tomlin? haha!! who saw that coming?! i guess, with that train of thought, we need to keep climbing up the ladder and blame art II?

i think it's ridiculous to bring tomlin into this, however . . . i s'pose if i were to reeeeeeeeally reach . . . since tomlin HAS worked with ben for five years now, he SHOULD have a read on his personality, and it probably wouldn't hurt to suggest haley reach out to him.

still, i think this responsibility falls on haley. if i were hired to serve as a sales manager for a company, i'd reach out to my top salespeople right away, introduce myself, and let them know i was there to help take them wherever they wanted to go. i've worked in places where we had new sales managers take over, pull the, "i don't care what you've accomplished in the past, i'm your manager now" routine and it didn't go over well with anybody. i resented the dude, went about my business, avoided him like the plague, made my money, was forced into a few conversations with the guy (where we butted heads again), and, eventually . . . he was fired. it MIGHT work at some level if you've got parcells's pedigree, but a recently fired head coach being hired by your organization which elicits dozens of unsolicited communications from former co-workers telling you to beware of the guy . . . not good.

15. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If this is truely Ben's team like he wants it to be then he needs to step up and welcome the new guy.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    did you all ever think they are still working as a coaching staff to iron out things? work on a new and old playbook? learn what they want to keep and what they want to dump? work on scouting and getting to the combine? sell his place in KC. learn his way around pittsburgh? move his family? get his kids in school? find his way to the facility? find his office in the facility? find out where primanti brothers is for lunch? it's a very hectic schedule this time of year for a new coordinator and head coach and wr coach and o-line coach and TE coach and qb coach. we have no RB coach which makes it harder. we have a starting rb that will not be starting the season. we have a new LT going to take over. finding what positions to draft, who we are going to get rid of and i'm sure a whole slew of things i'm forgetting. yea, i could see how he and ben haven't met yet. :cool:

17. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011

:thumbs_up:

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This made me lol.

Seriously, though, how may players has Haley spoken to? I get that Ben is considered a more important player than, say, Jonathan Clay... but does Haley have to speak to every single player individually?

I think I'll be more concerned about this if we get to the end of training camp and they still haven't spoken...

19. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My guess is that when they do finally meet they'll both be laughing their asses off about how something as trivial as this got so much attention :lolol:

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought this was the offseason, who cares if they talk, they aren't trying to be best friends. Once the official season starts, I'm sure there will be no issues with communication between them.

21. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly what I was getting ready to post!!!

22. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just because you haven't figured out how to post an avatar doesn't give you the right to criticize those of us who have one. I stated my reasons why I thought Tomlin should be involved and if you don't agree, I don't give a rats ass.

23. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    One thing that hasen't been mentioned is that Haley has never said anything about Ben, however, Ben has made statements about Haley on the lines of how he talked to people around the league about Haley and got some good stuff and some bad stuff about him. Ben was out of line with those comments. Now he's still talking by saying Haley has not contacted him yet. So far Ben has done all the talking and none of it has been good. He started at the pro bowl by saying how he was going to go up to ART II and ask him what he wanted from him and what kind of offense he wanted. He also stated in the media about how he hopes Haley won't change the offense because he could set the progress of the young receivers back. He stated that he wanted the offense to remain the same. Nothing good has came ot of his mouth. This is why I think Haley was hired. Ben needs to be reeled in. He has been able to do whatever he wanted under Arians and now, he will not have the same power. I will be glad when he is brought under control and gets on board with the new offense and Haley. My big question is, who is the Player and who are the coaches and owners. Ben needs to stay in his place and just play.

Who's talking now, and still talking, BEN!!! Haley is going about his business of scouting for the draft, watching film of the team, and probably trying to put something together for the offense. Ben is the one who has not let things go. We all know that he is bitter about the Arians firing. I think Tomlin needs to step in and set the record straight. He needs to first talk to Haley and let him know that Haley, Ben and his self will be meeting. Then he needs to call Ben and let him know that its time out for the BS. No more talking to the media and that they will be meeting. Let it go with the Arians stuff and get ready for this new transition.

The Rooney's shouldn't have to step in on this one if Tomlin is doing his job.

24. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It shows how elite our QB is.

Only with teams that have stars like Eli, Ben, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees would you be hearing about how the QB and OC have not yet met, just 3 weeks into the hire in the off-season.

Do you really think anyone would care if Flacco hadn't met with his new OC yet? Nope

25. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I haven't taken any of the talk by Ben as negative, and could you let me know what Haley is having for lunch? I mean.. since you seem to know exactly what he's doing and what Ben is also not doing?