1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is not a 'Tomlin Out' thread, nor a 'Tomlin In' thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rhys Lightning 63, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    But in all seriousness, should Tomlin go at the end of this season (which I personally don't think WILL happen, we tend not to fire coaches, rightly or wrongly), who would you REALISTICALLY have as his replacement?

If it were me, I would drive up to New England and present Matt Patricia with a blank cheque. We need a defensive guy going forward, the offense more or less takes care of itself (although Todd Haley might need a talking to). So there would be my choice

2. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I don't know if he will or won't he probably won't but I do know it's getting harder and harder to defend Mike Tomlin when the Steelers keep having these horrific games on the road against sub-par teams. He continues to waste away the last few good years Ben Roethlisberger has left. As bad as this division is this year I still think the Steelers will win it but if they don't then the front office needs to seriously take a long hard look at Tomlin and figure out what the hell to do moving forward.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think that hiring Matt Patricia is going to be like hiring Bill Bellechick by proxy. Most Bellechick disciples fail on their own because Bellechick has total control - especially over the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Agreed with this and I am glad someone brought up Patricia because I was wondering if he is so good why haven't we heard any rumors about him with other teams? It feels like he has been there a long time and with all the sucess of the Cheats and all the coaching changes every year why hasn't a team looked at him????? Jax and Cleveland have had how many coaches and never looked at Patricia.....just sayin

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Have you been watching the Offense lately? And Mike Tomlin is a defensive guy.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would take bellicheck in a heart beat

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin was damned if he did... damned if he didn't yesterday. Could you imagine this message board if Tomlin started Landry Jones over Ben and Jones ended up losing to the Ravens? All we would be hearing is that Ben should have started... Jones sucks, Tomlin is a moron.... blah, blah, blah. :clapping:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    ME TOO
    out back to the wood shed
    bip bam boom

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    oh you're so bad mmm

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've been a Tomlin supporter for quite some time now but the story is getting old. We all understand that we will lose some games but I look at how bad we are prepared for these games. I mean you can play good and still lose. Maybe it's a play here and there or the other team just had the ball last and move it down the field. But we look so unprepared in all the games we lost. And even the ones we won we didn't looked like a well oiled machine.

I don't know what Tomlin preparation is week to week but I just can't believe after two weeks, we look so terrible. It's like we didn't practice since before the Patriots game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers will have to win the next 3 games in order to even sniff the playoffs. 7-4 after Thanksgiving game... with pretty much a 10 day bye week to prepare for the Giants on December 4th at Heinz Field.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not if he won ;)

But, I think people aren't taking into consideration the loss of Pouncey for the game. One of the players once said that they were only using half the playbook when Wallace was filling in. Can you imagine how little of the playbook was available yesterday with Finney? Probably had about 7 plays available, sure looked like it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:bowdown:

Such a post is part of a deeper issue of microcosms within the fan base.

We as fans really cannot go either/or in terms of the events yesterday. In the grand scheme of things, none of this matters if the players do not play well enough nor if the coaches (or coach) does not prepare the team well enough. All we can do at this point is speculate; quite void of a reason now that Dallas is fast approaching.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    To answer the question, no one really.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How many of Belichick asst. coaches turned into good HC?

16. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Injuries or not, it still doesn't excuse all the stupid penalties and boneheaded decision making throughout the game.

17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    If that indeed is true, that is pathetic that a back-up doesn't know the plays. I understand not wanting to run some of the more complex blocking plays but come on.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its not a matter of knowing the plays (which may or may not be part of it) its about not being able to do what Pouncey can do.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think KC should go, I don't think this Team has enough talent on Defense to trust its self ....We need real players we need a new bolder move up the board , move down the board , make some trades whatever it takes to get the talent we need at DB's and pass rushers ...Ben's time is short so it's time to build a Defense ...

20. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    It is sad that our hopes of winning a game are dramatically diminished that much when one guy goes down. They need to have a better "just in case" plan.

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've used in the past to defend Tomlin "There's nobody better out there" But I'm really not believing that anymore. There has to be someone better. I'd be better.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Preperation!!!!!!!!!

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree with this and I will tell you what IMO a 10% healthy Ben is better then any of the back ups we have at full strength. My son got a kick out of me when the announcers in the 3rd quarter talked about Tomlin making the call to sit Ben. I went nuts, if you feel he is healthy enough to start then play him. He is our guy good or bad and I know we all have seen both.

What kills me is the stats are out there how bad Ben plays in his first game back from injury. Where was the quick passes to get Ben's feet wet, to ease him back in. If AB is getting covered with 2-3 guys man throw to the other side with a quick slant or a quick out, or better yet throw to Bell coming out of the backfield......oh wait we were to busy lining him up out side to show we were going to pass.Also where was the no huddle to change the pace, that always seems to help us get out of our funk. The game plan sucked is that Haley or is that Tomlin, IDK and I don't care it is someone and it was bad.

At the end of the day if we could pull Ben out of the game a few weeks back when he got hurt and left him in there in when the game was out of hand we shouldn't have even thought about pulling him out Sunday. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Jim Harbaugh makes 5 million a year at Michigan so it would take 6 or 7 to get him here