1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is Different

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Aug 20, 2023.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Anybody feel like giving trophies five and six back because Ben's work ethic sucked?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No but would have liked to have trophies 7 & 8 to celebrate over ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    No doubt but I'll take the 2 from Ben. I always just figured he is what he is and I might be in the minority but I enjoyed watching Ben his entire career, save for the last few years. Well, and the knucklehead incidents. I really have zero interest in rehashing his career ad nauseam. Some people around here act like he stole their lunch money.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    If Pickett win 2 super bowl like Ben,I will be so happy(just 1,I will be very happy too)....Favre and Rodgers have only won 1 super bowl with Green Bay,same for Peyton Manning with the colts,Marino 0 so I am very happy with the 2 we won with Ben.Only 4 QB have won at least 3 super bowl

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i didn't love colbert. he lost his fastball around 2012.....

Kenny brings a lot that Ben did not bring, starting with some brains. Now - can he deliver, I am not sure. Ben was an amazing athlete.

We will see....

6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    7 8 9

7. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    KFP is going to have 2 by '25
    A

8. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Same here.

As if having Ben on the roster held them back. WTF are people even talking about? He led them to three super bowls and won two. More than most franchises have won or gone to in their history during his career and people that are supposed to be fans whine and ***** about it. What a horrible problem to have.

He was the least of their problems.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    He stated he was having his 7 year old daughter teach him the playbook

A big boy would have done that on his own

Plus all you have to do is listen to him to know all the usual brain cells aren’t there

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    No but would have liked to have trophies 7 & 8 to celebrate over ;)

(I borrowed this from somewhere but I don’t remember)

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No....it's common rumor. There is a difference, and this is not for just Ben....this is about other players. It's funny I've heard as many rumors that He watched, and studied game tape , but He was a quick learner. Not everyone has to study the same....this is a fact.
    Again common sense shows any Qb that has went through not only 5 different OCs, but two different HC couldn't do this without work. Every other Qb that goes through that they give excuses for (anyone remember that for Kordell, and lately D. Carr, and Many others)., but Ben was successful under all of them, and Yet apparently He did it without any studying, or hard work....LoL........Hell He must be a freaking genius then.... Which was it???? Remember just because someone says something doesn't make it true.
    So after reading all this....it was one , or the other .....He put in the work, or He was a genius.....which one was it????
    Don't give Me the stupid He was a great athlete....I can think of about 40 Qbs way more athletic than Him not do diddly squat. Don't listen to what people say.....use Your brain My friend, and think it through.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....He wasn't just using that time also to spend with His daughter. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree with your points about KFP. He seems to have a thirst to learn and is committed to getting better. Seems to me he is more modest and has less of an ego than BR. Of course, this could change but I just find this kid is really in command of his emotions and he earns respect by his actions from his teammates. Kenny seems like the kind of dude that will be an amazing game manager and would not ask anyone to do anything he would not do himself. The epitome of a true manager.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Yeah jumping the gun but it’s good to be optimistic

just happy that we seem to have our franchise QB and a seemingly pretty competent GM

glad KP is not Mark Malone. Or we’re not going to go 20 years playing QB musical chairs again

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    His arm was ok it was his knees.

Once he didn't have that mobility that he used to have he became way less dangerous. Plus he seemed way to hesitant to step into his throws some games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ffs dude, Ward and other players have said it about being last in and first out and wasn’t the hardest worker and out of Bens own mouth he said he wasn’t a big film guy.

Reading your playbook doesn’t make you a student of the game. There is this thing called practice where they work on those plays in the playbook.

And those 5 OC’s outside of Haley were all internal hires, they weren’t complete overhauls and again from Bens own mouth, the hardest part is leaning the new language.

Going through several OC’s for a rookie is a big deal, it’s not a big deal for a seasoned vet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Too early to tell with Kenny Pickett but the signs are good and he appears to be hugely committed to learning the game which is important. We should all be excited to see what 2023 brings. It was very encouraging to see him use the middle of the field in the preseason games, let’s hope that carries forward successfully in the regular season.

I love what the front office is doing, both in the draft and in free agency. They look to have had a very solid offseason and every indication is that they have improved the team in several areas. The Steelers are in a really tough division but I have no doubt they’ll be competitive.

Colbert had a great career as a GM but the teams record in the draft since about 2015 has been very spotty. Drafting Watt and the trade for Minkah were terrific moves it must be said though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    My whole point really is about the mindset of the organization. Not that we weren’t trying to win before. I loved Covert and Big Ben. It is just near the end we weren’t really building anything we were just trying to hang onto what we were.

I will grant that Covert had alot of things out of his control near the end. Up against the Cap with Bens contract plus Covid causing the Cap to go down. Shazier and Decastro injuries and I’ll throw in Bush getting injured and the derailment of his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    All excellent points. I jumped the gun on my assessment without really thinking about all of what we went through near the end of his tenure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t think I stated my pointed very clearly. It was really more about the buzz and excitement of Khan and Pickett than anything. I do think Pickett has a superior work ethic to what Ben had. Do i know this for sure. Of course not. It is more about what has been reported, what others have said and some of what bore out through out his career. Did you ever notice Ben really seemed to shine when he could play unrestrained at the end of games or when a play broke down when it was all about his physical gifts? We as a team always seemed to start the season out slow offensively and even in the course of a game we seemed to always take a while to get going. To me that reflected game prep and studying. I am not denying that of course over the length of Bens career he is going to develop cerebrally simply through game experience, but I don’t think I would ever compare Ben with being obsessive in film study and game day preparation.

Ben was enamored at times with stats I felt like which I understand as he wanted his respect, but I think at times that was too a fault. I think with Pickett at least he is just about winning, but of course he is young right now and that may all change.I must feel like with Pickett at least at this point in his career in comparison to Ben that he is more mature and his work ethic breeds a ton of confidence. I could be reading it all wrong, who knows, only time will tell.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I didn’t say lazy. I just don’t think Ben had the magical work ethic of some of the elites like Brady. I see that same work ethic in Pickett which gives me alot of confidence in him. I do feel Ben relied on his physical gifts more so than other great QB’s.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    This is what I was trying to say. Everybody takes it as me tearing down Ben. I loved Ben but this was more about trying to point out what I like about Kenny and how it is different from what we were used too.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I prefaced everything I said with the fact that I loved Colbert and Ben. This new regime is just different. Perhaps it is because we haven’t been in a rebuild for a long time and we have all that cap space to play with. but you can’t deny some of the moves Khan has pulled off I don’t see Colbert doing like trading Claypool. It doesn’t mean one is better than other it is just different. I will say this draft may turn out to be one of our best drafts in a decade plus. We shall see.

24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Fair point. You can’t deny the buzz and excitement though. I think the last few years of Ben and Colbert were tough. We were just trying to hang on and were afraid of change. Now that were coming out on the other side of change it is pleasantly surprising to see how good things can potentially be. I don’t think any of us expected to be in this position with this much potential this soon. I think alot of us were thinking about the 80’s and the Brister years.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    In todays NFL the difference between being maniacal in your preparation and having the base knowledge of what needs to be done and knowing that you can just rely on your physical gifts when the play breaks down can be a couple turnovers at in opportune times which can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Teams like the Patriots who were always prepared could not be beat unless you were as prepared as them or more prepared. They waited for you to make a mistake and capitalized on it. Those were the exact type of games Ben struggled in.