1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is a big offseason for GM Kevin Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 18, 2018.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Many of the teams in the league can make the same claim about having X amount of drafted players starting on their units. It's not simply about assembling talent. It's how the talent that's assembled plays together and compliments one another. Overall the coaching on the team is fine. The defense scheme could be tweaked a bit but I am not sure if that's the answer? Was it player mistakes or something else?

They've shown the ability to develop players on both sides of the ball. So much so that they've won a lot of games with the players they've developed. The Jags were just a bad match up for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The defensive coaching on the team is far from fine, IMHO. I'm glad Lake resigned and I'm hopeful that Bradley and Dunbar can coach their respective units up. But I still don't understand why Joey Porter is still on this coaching staff!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The defense did some good things this year. I guess you only want to focus on the negatives.

Shahzier was developing into a very good to great LB. Watt showed flashes that he could become a good player. Williams isn't the most talented player but the coaches probably maximized what they could get out of him within the scheme. Williams was going to be exposed even more without Shahzier. Maybe Dupree will become the player the Steelers envisioned if he can stay healthy? The LB's on the team produced so I guess that's why Porter is still with the team. It wasn't all doom and gloom.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope the Steelers are proactive in their off season/draft aproach

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You and I see it very differently so I guess you want to focus only on the positive. That's fine, wear the rose colored glasses if you'd like but I saw regression in our OLB group and our DB group in particular. Burns and Davis regressed significantly year one to year two. Mitchell is a joke and he should have already been cut. Dupree had a disappointing season by anyone's standards. TJ showed some flashes the first half of the season primarily because of sheer effort and athleticism on his part but he definitely came down to earth the second half and I thought disappeared in a few games. Point is, I didn't see him progress this season. I still have high hopes for him but I don't want Joey Porter being his coach and mentor as he transitions into the NFL. Joey didn't do squat for Jarvis Jones but I'm not sure anybody could and he helped to mishandle the James Harrison debacle.

I am really soured on Porter and I believe the only reason he's still with the team as its OLB coach is because of his relationship with Tomlin. There have been several media reports which seem to support that. Porter was a great player for us but he SUCKS WIND as a coach! Same with Carnell Lake. You can say our defense did some good things last year and I can agree with that. I'd say all 32 defenses in the NFL did some good things last year. But overall the defense had a disappointing season and it was capped off by the absolute worst defensive performance in the history of Steelers post-season football! Pathetic and I'm glad to see a few changes have been made. Hope there's more to come!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Jags almost did, so could've the Steelers in a shootout :shrug:.