1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This Defense Deserves all the...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rawsteel73, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Rawsteel73

Rawsteel73 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Laughter negative assessments Blame or whatever from our coaches to all the players on that side of the ball not anyone stepped up to the challenge not a 1. i"m still trying to figure out what package that was and why it was ran all game with no adjustments zero pressure damn near zero coverage. to sum it up i blame the D THEY TALKED THE MOST **** LEVEON TALKED IT WENT AND PERFORMED AS DID THE WHOLE O TO THE LAST SECOND. this is firmly on the defensive side the whole defensive side got homefield asked for jags then go out and get destroyed by a CFL level qb that couldnt sniff a td the week before. our schedule disguised some harsh truths some being Burns is not first round talented sean davis is trash my man mitchell is just not that good big play willie gay is over the hill scheme or whatever these guys dont seem to get it. now on to Bud effin dupree if i see u rush yourself out the play one more time wtf is that? get it right or get gone.This D-line goes from dominant to doormats game to game but hey they did lead the league in sacks so the talent is there the architect has to change. id take rex ryan right about now one thing for sure we would be much more aggressive we need something asap this D has to be overhauled from the top

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    We all new the D was bad, but never in a million years did I think possible Blake Bortles dropping a 45 on us. Never entered the equation. Wow, I've lost all interest in football right now. I'd probably feel better if the Jags did the same thing to the Patriots. But if the Pats crush them like I suspect they will, then that will make us look like chumps. We can't even get to 1st base...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rawsteel73

Apr 28, 2012
    for real the jags have done this a few times this season still should not have happened yesterday at all

4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    By the way, did they put a spy on Bortles? Any amateur knew that he would be uncomfortable early and run instead of pass. Think he ran for a couple of big first downs early, helping hm get into the flow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rawsteel73

Apr 28, 2012
    bro i cant watch espn now or nfl network for months

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm watching the golf network....it's healing...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rawsteel73

Apr 28, 2012
    no tuitt no heyward no pressure hargraves? tj,vince not one splash play

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    At least the Penguins looked good after the Steelers L.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Keep Heyward, Watt, Hilton and Haden. Scrap the rest. Start rebuilding through draft and free agency.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jags aren’t pats. Their fairy tale ends next week. They beat an overrated team

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    My 2 cents which usually works out to a penny is this:

The Defense needs a wholesale change

Keith Butler: Gone This Defense has gotten worse as the season went on. Don't give me the sack argument. Undisciplined, not knowing the assignments.
    Carnell Lake: Gone. Do I have to elaborate?
    Joey Porter: Gone. Where is the Dupree development? Watt is hot and cold.
    John Mitchell: Gone. This D line has struggled majorly stopping the run. Swiss cheese.
    Jerry O: Was dealt a major blow with the Shazier injury and did his best to piece it together, but...

The tale of the tape was the on sides kick. Tomlin didn't trust the Defense. It was a stupid decision but this was the truth. This is on Butlers head, and then it trickles down.

As far as the players, at this point an upgrade is needed at Nose (Hargrave's is a disappointment and McCullers is laughable) OLB (Dupree has not developed into a force or average for that matter, bye to Moats) ILB (Need a replacement for Ryan) Safety (Need a ball hawking FS and Mitchell shown the door. I feel with proper coaching Davis will be fine)
    Corners( I still have faith that Burns will get better and with Haden, Sutton, Walton and Allen with proper coaching I feel this group could excel)

Not giving a pass to the DE's. Tuitt was a major disappointment this season. I will give him a pass due to I believe he was playing with some type of injury. I wonder though. They have major money in both Heyward and Tuitt. Alualu is signed for next season and played solid. They need to look in the draft.

That Defense yesterday was a joke. A total joke. Can you imagine if our Offense wasn't the force it is?

Time will only tell...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    On to the Masters! :thumbs_up:

That's the next big sporting event to me since I'm skipping the Super Bowl. I don't want to watch the freaking Patriots tie our record for Super Bowl wins. :frustrated:

13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm willing to bet the lack of rush from our D-line was some what by design. I think we were afraid of his scrambling ability and wanted to contain him and focus on the stopping the run. Bortles is terrible throwing the ball....we wanted to force him to throw it.

I'll say that 80% of this loss is on the defense. The play calls on 4th and inches was a game changer. The other 4th down with Juju as the primary 15 yards down field when we only needed 3 or 4 was a game changer. The clock management was terrible. Onside kick call and execution was a disaster. The coaching staff can shoulder much of this. Goes back weeks. How we played the Browns by letting guys relax and trash talk about getting the patriots rematch. undisciplined , immature, and stupid team. Too many selfish players.

I don't think we can cut Bud , but we better bring someone in to compete for his job. He needs to step it up for be a back up. We desperately need a NT that can hold some ground. The 3-4 all starts with the NT. We desperately need a Shazier replacement and a FS. Davis also needs competition , he deserved to be demoted but we had no other options.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Coaching changes? Ha! We're the Steelers. We're a STABLE organization.

Sitting
    Tight
    And
    Believing the
    Lie that we're
    Excellent

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Bortles looked like Peyton Manning in his prime yesterday vs. Steelers defense. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should have put DHB at FS and ran cover 1 . It would have gave us a extra run stopper in the box and another guy to rush the passer . Keeping Mike on the field is the main reason this Defense was so bad.

Yes we could and probably would have won with DHB at FS instead of Mike . Butler should be fired by noon today imo .

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :facepalm: If Orleans would have won I would have given them a punchers chance with Brees. Although the 2 NFC teams do have formidable defenses although with average QB's. I'm sick already...

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually I would like to see the jags beat NE Sunday, they have the defense to do it and coughlin has the blue print to beat them he did it twice, as bad as I hated losing to the jags I dont want to see the patriots get a 6th lombardi, so go jags and end Bradys season.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Blake was 14-26 for 214 yards. The 45 yard pass to Cole made his stats look barely ok. That was just a case of Burns sucking again. The week before he was 12 of 23 for 87 yards vs the Bills.

This game felt like we were beaten by a Bill Cowher coached jags team with Kordell at QB. They beat our ass with less talent and smart coaching....all they ask of Blake is to not turn the ball over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't see the Vikings or Eagles beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl. It's depressing.

21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    One item that should be done: Dump or demote Dupree and promote Chickillo

One item that will be done: Keep Dupree and let Chickillo sign with another team.

He was a first round pick that failed a la Jarvis. Admit it Colbert. Admit it Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    When I hear the term 'splash play' I think of Greg Louganis. Seems fitting.

23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with most of what you wrote. Butler, Lake and Porter needs to go. But I think the latter two definitely. But i wouldn't shred a tear if Butler joins them.

-Hargrave, Tuitt and Heyward are a good nucleus. But did not show up the yesterday. But these guys are 3-4 DL. I know Heyward got 12.5 sacks this year, but if you needed a sack in the last minutes of a game, would you count on Heyward?
    -We need to upgrade both the ILBs and OLBs. In a 3-4 defense and your LBs are mediocre you have a serious problem. Of course other than Shazier but i don't think he returns.

24. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Obviously something that extreme is not gonna happen and don't see us doing much in FA... our $$$ will go elsewhere i imagine. Wish we had landed Weddle a couple years ago.... I think he wanted to live in Baltimore instead of the Burgh.

I'm sure this has come up in other threads but... What tier 1 FA will be available next year? LB/DB wise. I think we are set at DL (at least first string) unless we bring in a 4-3 minded DC

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Interesting stat from the Jags game, the Steelers defense had no three and outs :facepalm:.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1