1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This coaching staff is killing us

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Sep 12, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Seeing how I'm 60 years old please don't lump me into this is how the world is today. Next, don't start talking about the 8 of 12 years and the tomlin tenure and then lump them as all Steelers players when he had little to do with building most of those playoff years. Yes I want what is best for this team and may be spoiled to a degree when the team is going in the wrong direction and players are dictating it they will practice or play or want to go elsewhere while under contract. Art Rooney sr. Would be turning over in his grave. Show me positives and I won't have to bring up the negatives. So happy, no I'm not with the current coaching while we keep turning over players without winning championships. My ticket prices keep going up but the product keeps disappointing. We were a model in the NFL, now we are turning my beloved Steelers into an also rand. So yea, I'm a little negative with this coach and owner. Other than that have a nice day my friend.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Tomlin is an Xs and Os coach, he’s really crappy at it. Just look at the last game plan. Those assignments are not the work of a true student of the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin’s version of Xs and Os....O no we lost again....

F0877882-21A3-4879-9714-6F86DF9EE144.png

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He definitely hasn't learned on the job that's for sure.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    We weren't prepared!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The chicken beat us because “ we do what we do”

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well Mason seems to be developing alright to me, he went from #3 QB to the backup, and he looked better in the preseason.

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin has little to do with anything but you are unhappy with the coaching staff? OK

Not much can be done for spoiled individuals. That much is clear. See AB as and example.

I am sure the people directly involved want what's best for the team more so than the fans. They benefit and the fans get what exactly?

LMAO the old Art Rooney card? Come on man.

There are always positives if you choose to see them. If all you focus on are the negatives than that's all you will see. Positive - the Steelers are not as bad a team as they showed in NE. They can play better.

No one forces you to pay for an over price product. The financial burden vs the reward/little return just isn't worth the cost of paying for season tickets. Football translates better on TV anyway.

The Steelers are far from an also ran. Fielding competitive year after year is difficult. Even the best organizations can't sustain success forever. Appreciate what you have because it could always be worse.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree he has but he also hired his own QB coach in the offseason so he’s try to maximize his potential. Not having a QB coach during the season isn’t the best way to help that along in my opinion. Yours may differ....

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hell man I picked us to go 10-6

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    True!

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Did you just start watching last year or what? Year after year they are a mediocre team who underachieves. When they do make the playoffs they get bounced relatively quickly. Maybe mediocrity is fine with you but not for the rest of us. I'd rather they have some down years if it meant winning a couple championships in between. There's nothing wrong with expecting better from a storied franchise like this. It's too bad that ownership doesn't seem as interested.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I live with realistic expectations. I don't let disappointment eat at my soul or cloud my judgement.

It's extremely difficult to win the Superbowl. Seems like people don't understand how difficult it is to win a championship. A lot has to go right to win a championship. Plenty of storied franchises struggle to win championships for years once their runs end. Some struggle to remain competitive and make the playoffs.

Hopefully you understand how difficult it is to win a championship after you witnessed this team and other teams struggle to win a championship.

What the Pats accomplished is rare and anomaly. What they accomplished will probably never happen again. As a fan of the game it's remarkable. I don't like it but I can respect what they accomplished.

This is one of the dumbest quotes I've ever read, "I'd rather they have some down years if it meant winning a couple championships in between." Keep in mind that down years could be for years. Championship wins are never guaranteed in the bad years or good years. So much has to go right. Maybe you just started watching and paying attention to football?

Sorry but I would rather the Steelers organization continue to win games, continue to remain competitive, and continue make the playoffs until they can put together a team that can win another Superbowl. A winning season is better and more enjoyable than a losing season even if it doesn't end with a championship win. I'd rather see this team in the post season even if it doesn't end with a championship win.

The Steelers have been better than a mediocre team over the past 12 seasons. They had a few mediocre seasons but overall they've been better than mediocre. Maybe you just started watching?

It's sometimes difficult to understand fan's logic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I still don't understand how fans like you don't realize that Tomlin is never taking us to that promised land again. There is zero reason to believe that he ever will even with the past. Are you a Pens fan by chance? Do you wish the Pens kept Dan Bylsma? Granted Sullivan doesn't look so great now but for those two championships it sure paid off didn't it? The Steelers had the best running back and best WR in the game (yeah they were dicks) but they completely wasted it because they are still stubbornly stuck in the past.

17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You know what? People said the same thing about Cowher. What happened?

They had opportunities to reach the Superbowl 2 out of the last 3 seasons. If any a number of things happened last season they would had made the playoffs. That suggest it can happen again.

Two players doesn't equal championship.

At some point the Steelers are going to have a losing season. Based on what you wrote I believe you will be happy about the losing season(s).

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The facts in terms of wins and losses say that the team has absolutely not been mediocre. Mediocre would be consistently hovering around .500. What we have is a team that is good, but keeps falling short of elite after working to create opportunities to elevate themselves to elite status (I.e. winning 9 in a row in 2016/17 only to get blown out in the AFCCG, and going 13-3 in 2017 only to have the defense utterly implode against a pedestrian Jags offense). Missing the playoffs season was unusual for a Tomlin-led team, and if any one of a handful of funky plays had gone our way, we might have beaten the Saints in their building to win the division yet again.

I’m as displeased as any fan with our inability to leap that final hurdle, but the Steelers are NOT mediocre. I don’t think blowing it all up makes any sense whatsoever, though I do think that Tomlin and the front office should have parted ways with Butler this past offseason. He’s been terrible. When you have one of your corners covering the other while an opponent’s receiver heads the other direction, and when you consistently have LB vs WR matchups exposed, it’s clear that the scheme is a flop. I really hope it doesn’t kill us this season. I’d rather win despite Butler than have another terrible defensive season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't feel accomplished just making the playoffs. If that is your goal of an accomplishment for this team then it truly has taken a bad turn towards being an also rand. Do you think the patriots just happen? No they win with many combinations of players over the years. Just reaching the playoffs is not the goal. If that is your thinking, you never will achieve greatness. I expect this team to get there and contend not just get there and consider that a goal of any kind. If you are not striving to get past just making the playoffs, your team is already defeated. I expect way more from this team. If they don't win a championship it's not good enough.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree that championships are the goal. The question is how do you take that final step from a borderline championship contender to a true championship contender. A lot of fans want to just blow up the coaching staff (and many want to do the same with the front office). The chance of that approach being the catalyst to a leap to championship contention is low. Tomlin has his flaws, but he is not a bad coach overall. The leadership that he brings had a big role in the team having that 9 game winning streak in 2016, and going 13-3 in 2017. His flaws also played a big role in not getting over the hump. Incremental changes are needed, but saying sayonara to Tomlin is a step that could set the team back in the wrong direction in a big way.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Let's hope he is prepared for Seattle.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Going from not making the playoffs to a blowout loss to saying your team was not ready for prime time to not changing reoccurring problems. When you keep adding players to the problem and the problem gets worse you figure out what that problem is and you don't stay loyal to that problem. You lose top coaches, you lose top players, you don't just add who is convenient(ray sherman), you don't just hope the problem of communication goes away (Keith butler), you keep adding coaches around him to make it better but it stays the same or gets worse. You as a head coach needs to make tough decisions and see problems in your system that need corrected and you correct them or you are not doing your job very well. If that's the case, then maybe it is time. Stability is one thing, stability of mediocrity is nothing to be proud of. Consistency has to come into play.

A 9 game winning streak was good but you follow it with a total collapse to end the year. You build on that 13-3 season, you don't let the team fall to not even making the playoffs. On both sides of that good season you lay eggs does not make you a treasure either. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow! mac ,I’m impressed. Preach,preach....

• Like Like x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    When you think back it's amazing that Rooney made Tomlin get rid of Arians but was ok with him hanging onto aw shucks Butler.

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    In my view this is a fan overreaction. We won 9 in a row, but lost the AFCCG - Blow it all up! Fire everybody! We go 13-3, but have a bad loss at home when our defense lays an egg - Blow it all up! Fire everybody! The reality is that most teams never get into position to lose the conference championship game on the road, especially after a 4-5 start. The reality is that very few teams ever go 13-3. I firmly believe that Tomlin’s style of coaching helped the players get to that level of success. If we have another unsuccessful season this year, then I may be ready for Tomlin to be shown the exit. However there’s been too much success to blow everything up just yet. Right now we’re close as long as Butler and some of our lesser lights on defense don’t screw it up. I’m not going to overreact to one game this season. It sucked, but we’ve seen that story before.