1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This coaching staff is killing us

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Sep 12, 2019.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This isn't a fire Tomlin thread, although many know my feelings on that subject. This is more discussing the details of decisions the coaching staff make (and have been making for years) that there is seemingly no justification for.

We needed 1 yard several times but never used a one time pro bowl FB in Nix. Tomlin tried to justify it by saying Nix was injured, but that's BS, considering Nix played 18 snaps on special teams, which is probably among the highest on the team without looking. They could have brought in an extra tackle and smashed it into the line with our RB, who is known as a pretty good power back. But they decided to pitch it out wide. It's bordering on insanity.

Moncrief played 90% of the snaps, despite being the worst player on the field. He was horrendous. 10 targets, 3 catches, 7 yards, including a dropped TD. He was so bad but the coaches kept playing him. Washington played about half the snaps and Johnson played about 35%. Both had less combined snaps than Moncrief. Yes, both are young, but look around the league, rookie WR's were lighting it up in week 1. I'm all for shielding young players, but not if the alternative is hot garbage like Moncrief was and has been for most of his career. Holton also showed some serious speed on the first series, but Ben missed him or it would have been a TD. He only played 7 snaps. He should have got more to see what he could do.

TJ watt calling the defence from the outside. That's not ideal, but perhaps there was no other option. The thing is, Bush is used to calling plays, he did it plenty in Michigan. Tomlin implied it wasn't given to Bush because they were subbing him in and out a lot. But both Watt and Bush played almost the same number of snaps, so once again, a BS excuse.

There's so many other examples of terrible coaching, such as Vance and Ola not being used properly. It's not like our OLB were tearing it up out there, why not give the guy a chance? And why ignore Vance all game? Just stupidity. So frustrated and this isn't new stuff either. We seem to be an unintelligent football team most years and I believe it's because we are being led by unintelligent coaches

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree with Keith Butler. Heck, I wanted him gone by the 2017 season. It was bad enough that, even with Ryan Shazier, our players were often placed in unwinnbale situations. Turn the page to 2018 without Shaz?!?!

:puking 4:

I always give new coaches and/or rookies the benefit of the doubt. Randy was one of those people I had high praise for early on last season. As the season wore on, my optimism started to fade. By the time we faced and lost to Oakland, for the very first time of me being a fan, I had run out of paitence. This season?! Little to no change offensively. Then again, Fitchner was already on record in stating he is apathetic about "silly" run to pass ratios.

Mike Tomlin?! Time for change. Granted, the execution and discipline of some of those plays are not on him. That being said, not punching it in on the one yard line tells me that Tomlin is doing the very opposite thing that made him successful in those early years; "Never live in your fears".

Ultimately, this upcoming Sunday is going to be far more telling about not just the players but also the coaches. Time to find out if the team can get it all together. Moreover, time for these coaches to properly put forth an efficient game plan for success.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    100% Shaner.

I took down my FMTI sig because it's a new season with new hopes, so I'm giving him a chance but he didn't get off to a good start. Really nothing to add to what you wrote, more bad decisions by this coach and his staff. Very frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Agree! Been on Mike's bandwagon most the way but going for that FG last week was the straw that broke my back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL That’s just one game.You can write a novel on all the stupid things he’s done ( and continues to do) in the last 10 years. I know some guys like to criticize his press conferences but we should be thankful for all his cliches and coach speak because when he opens his mouth to talk about his reasoning and strategy it’s far worse and full of BS.

Edit: The intelligence of this team has been questioned for years and years. I say it all the time that this is a stupid football team. Players have come and gone but one thing remains the same

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    I watched some film break down where someone analyzed the Pats and Steelers as to how they defended empty backfield. The difference in a nutshell is Belichick knows how to teach and make adjustments prior to snaps, and Butler/Tomlin do not.

when the Pats or Steelers went w/ empty backfields, here is how we aligned against Pats:
    CB Joe Haden –> FB James Develin
    CB Steven Nelson –> RB Rex Burkhead
    SS Terrell Edmunds –> TE Ryan Izzo
    ILB Vince Williams –> WR Julian Edelman
    OLB Bud Dupree –> WR Josh Gordon

Vince WIlliams on Edelman? Dupree on Gordon? Our best CB covering a FB? Geez. Tell me Brady didn't drool over this. Did we make any adjustments? Nope.

Here is how Pats aligned against us:
    CB Jason McCourty –> WR Ryan Switzer
    CB Stephon Gilmore –> WR JuJu Smith-Schuster
    CB JC Jackson –> WR Donte Moncrief
    SS Patrick Chung –> TE Vance McDonald
    ILB Ja’Whaun Bentley –> RB Jaylen Samuels

Notice how They put their best DBs on our best WR/TE. And somewhere I saw where the Pats had a similar bad alignment called as we were in but their S or CB called out the adjustment and made those disadvantages a better matchup to cover our receivers before Ben got into the play.

Bottom line is our coaches do not prepare our players so that they execute and match up better to stop the Pats. Our defense was always chasing open WRs while the Pats defenders were always covering our offensive players leaving Ben very few places to throw the ball.

And Vance McDOnald was ALWAYS covered by Chang and even if they called a play for Vance Ben was not going to complete it to him. I watched so many plays of just Vance running routes and never looking open, it was amazing....

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That's so infuriating. I'm really not going to make it through the season before calling for firings again :facepalm:

All I want is for our next coach to be an X's and O's guy with an eye for detail. A total tactician. No more rah rah coaches. Cowher wasn't much of an X's and O's coach either, was out coached in those big games.

Like Noll said, if I have to motivate you, I'm going to fire you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Wow! What an incredible strategy to put your best defender on defense to cover the best WR on offense. This is going to revolutionize the game of football. I mean no one has probably thought of doing this since Jim Thorpe was covering the Bear's rookie speedster George Halas.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah but imagine the confidence boost that gave Boz to be called upon at such a dire time. Sure to pay dividends down the road.

PS: To all the newbies, before you all go ballistic, green font means sarcasm as so many users have had to 'splain recently. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 3
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    smart move, I stupidly kept reading and ran into a second "dadgum" and almost vomited.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm glad I quit while I was ahead. He can't say anything that's going to change my opinion of him anyway. Usually I've settled back down by now after a loss, but I have a feeling this season is going to be more of the same. It's disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t say my link didn’t come without a warning....dadgum it

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

You would think those matchups are a one game aberration or something they couldn't check out of. But we've seen this every year. It really is perplexing how rigid they are to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know it’s just more BS from our coaches. Many sources claim the Steelers used the same exact game plan as last year but Dad Dadgum claims the communication issue were due to a new scheme.. Could of fooled me. I think all these coach interviews are on a loop from 5 years ago and counting....

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    One problem with your snap count of Bush and Watt is that Watt was out with a hip injury for a good portion of the game. So that's where the snap count kind of evens out. I'm with you though, if you practice in pre-season with Bush calling plays, let him do it in the regular season.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I watched the highlights with New England's radio guys doing the audio. They were giddy every time they saw what defense Pittsburgh was using. They were calling Tom's shots before the snap.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Did it look like we practiced anything?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree our coaching is our biggest weakness bar none. We have at least 1 SB appearance and more playoff wins 2011-2018 with better coaching

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Keith Butler likes that "Left Shoe, Right Foot" defense. Whatever mismatch he can dial up to put the players in awkward matches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He is dadgum salivating at the chance to match Big Dan in man coverage on John Ross

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    At least his game plan for Eifert won't go to waste.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Of all of the events of this past offseason, the biggest mistake was not firing Butler. You read that interview, and you just know he’s in over his head without a snorkel (not that we didn’t already dadgum know that dadgum already).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Alualu, you’re up!