1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This Brandon Aiyuk chat is exhausting...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Apr 15, 2024.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I continue to see chatter that it's not out of the question. Anything is possible, but I just do not see the Steelers giving up the draft capital with the whole plethora of needs they have...

What say you?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    I can't see them giving up draft capital for him or Tee Higgins, but we never know these days. Pickens is considered the #1 right now by what is on the team, but if the Steelers go get Aiyuk or Higgins, kind shows they don't think Pickens isn't ready, and he likely isn't until he grows up some. On the other hand, I could see them making a trade to give Wilson/Fields the best possible weapons they can buy even though it's not the 'Steelers Way'.

We currently have both of them for a year. They could spend to make it count as best as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Aiyuk's agent said he didn't ask for a trade FWIW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He will end up being too expensive. He wants paid and is good enough to get it. I think the cost of getting him will be more than the Steelers can afford in money and draft picks.

He wants a new contract and is in a 14 million 5th year option contract now. You can bet that the 49ers will want some big draft picks to release him and aiyuk will want a new multi year contract that is above 14 million a year. DJ was going to be on the line for 15.8 million and he was traded. Kahn seems to have an eye on the future and money, so I don't see him going for some 3 to 5 year contract that would likely pay north of 15 million a year after he just traded away DJ.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If they trade for a receiver, it shows they realize Pickens can't do it by himself. Teams need at least two viable threats on the outside, and right now, they only have one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's pretty obvious they have backed out of the Free Agency market till after the draft.
    Aiyuk would be a really nice addition, but it was always a pipe dream.
    I had thought Boyd was a possibility but I'm not so sure now.
    It is possible they let him simmer out there as none are meeting the value he thinks he has but I think that's a long shot.
    What I think actually happens is they will draw from the draft and probably sign one of the left-over vets like they did last season with Allen Robinson.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i say it alive and well. the 9rs GM has been lying - which I told you all last month when he started his lies. (yes, LOOK AT ME!!!)

He may end up here.

Stay tuned.

FYI - we NEED help at WR.

this takes care of THAT and NO NEED to draft a WR

We gave away a #1 for Minkah. I think that can make sense here. Just make sure we know the contract demands for the next 4 years. Move up , trade out of 1 of our #3's - get the C and RT in Rd. 2.

It's not that complicated.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

everyone lies during FA - well, almost everyone.

Smoke, mirrors, governmental leaders and NFL Free Agency - all the same!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think this is a shot at their belief in Pickens, but more of a shot at every other WR on the team. The Steelers still do not believe they have a #2 on the roster yet

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is a Poker game.
    You can get burnt badly in Free Agency if you are not careful.

In regard to Tyler Boyd who I was a fan of getting, I do have to side with the Steelers in that Tyler was really a #3, he actually slid.
    I think there will be someone available in the 2nd round of Free Agency but admit, a #2 is a stretch.
    That is, unless someone wants to trade someone - maybe they picked up a pick that is climbing the depth chart.. or something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Definite poker game - I think Khan so far is a good player.

We will know in a couple more years if he is a GREAT one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

no WR can do it 'by themselves'. Even AB had some talented WR's around him for Ben's years, to help him.

He will get doubled up the ying yang, even tripled. There is no other real threat on the roster that takes coverage FROM him.

Austin might be able to step up and be this, I am not sure yet.

14. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I think you articulated my concern well. I wouldn’t want to give up a lot of draft capital for a “rental” player that will need a big contract the very next year.

I see the Minkah comparisons, but feel that is a little different. If memory serves, we had Minkah for 3 years post-trade (on his rookie deal), so giving up significant draft capital was fine because we had a known commodity for multi-years.

Add in the need for OL and DL, which must be addressed in the draft, leads me to not wanting to give up high picks for a WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we trade for Aiyuk and pay him in the ballpark of what he’s looking for, it’s extremely unlikely that we come up with the money to sign Pickens to a second contract. Personally, I doubt we sign Pickens to a second contract anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I feel Pickens is likely too raw to be a true #1. He gives me more of a Mike Wallace vibe than AB, at least from what I've seen of him thus far. He's a big play threat, but I'm not sure he'll ever have the polished route running skills to be much more than that. Not trying to knock him, but I think we really need a more well rounded receiver to be our true #1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    if we could get Aiyuk it would be great but is price too much how would that affect Pickens mind. He wants to be 1 but you know Aiyuk would be 1 then all the drama would start again. I think I would pass on this and draft someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There is some truth to the rumor mill that things are a little icy between John Lynch and Brandon Aiyuk.
    But I doubt it has reached critical mass yet, Lynch is too good of a GM to allow that. I think each side is just going through the motions.

Brandon had 1,342 receiving yards on 75 catches with seven TDs, and a lot of highlight clips in doing so.

I think the Steelers need to resolve their QB scenario a little more.
    Can Wilson find his game again?
    And then the Justin Fields thing lays out there in the wings. In my mind, there's little doubt that the Steelers brain trust is thinking fields is the QB of the future.
    Aiyuk has a pretty solid QB throwing to him in Brock Purdy and a solid coaching staff that is going to field a good team around him.
    Stranger things have happened, but I think SF resolves the issues and keeps Brandon for a few more seasons.

My other thought is, I think Brandon is the splash play guy, the guy we want Pickens to be.
    I'm kind of thinking Pittsburgh should find one of those 6'3" guys, to field opposite of Pickens - The way Williams does Brandon.
    I think a guy like that can post in the endzone and be a huge target and take pressure off Pickens.
    Of course, that's a bit of fantasy football on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The years remaining on Fitzpatrick's rookie deal were a big part of that trade. That's why I can't seen the Steelers trading a first-round pick for Aiyuk. I just don't see the trade happening because I don't think the 49ers will get enough in return for it to be worth it to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Van Jefferson is probably their best option for the No. 2 spot right now. He can be a big-play guy, which might take some pressure off Pickens, but he was slowed by injuries in 2022 and just stunk in 2023.

21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well.....as we often say, we will have to wait and see.

and then we can arm-chair hindsight it thru the year.

I think they are going to make a hard run at him - my opine.

they want to win WHILE where are YOUNG

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It all boils down to the compensation needed to get him. If its a first rounder like Minkah, its more of a stretch. A second? Might be more plausible in this scenario and less of a "feels bad" situation.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets give up a 1st and pay him 30 mill :lolol:

Aiyuk isn't coming here. SF is close to winning it all and letting that kind of production go would be mindless.

They will draft a receiver in the 3rd.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d give up a second maybe but not a first. Not sure why a 1st rd pick is even being talked about, he’s not that guy. Look at some of the trade values this offseason, moves being made for a lot less compensation than people initially stated it would cost.

Then there is the money which I’m not sure the Steelers would ever pay for a WR but this is a new regime.

What I do know is this WR room is very weak and needs help in a major way, Aiyuk could solve that without the risk of missing on a draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct - and for risk mitigation, it will cost. I guess we will see.....

• Like Like x 1