1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking About Bell and the New Rule Against Lowering Head

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Apr 6, 2018.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Was thinking about Bell`s style. He starts his run upright, dances latterly a second, then darts through a hole. Nobody else does it that way. This is just the opposite of a Bettis type power runner.

IMO, Bell may have the least adjustment to make vs just about any other RB in the NFL.

Pure power, up the gut plungers will not be able to crash into players with head down.

Advantage Steelers on this rule change?

Edit: Was also thinking in the draft a team may be looking more at RB`s that can leap over a pile more often than they used to. I wish we had a guy like that for the goal line and now there is more reason to have one.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about the new rule change and how it would affect the game if it were strictly enforced. They brought up the Bengals Vs. Steelers game from last year and said if those rules were implemented back then there would have been 24 penalties called in just the first half alone. They weren't exagerrating either, somebody actually broke it down play by play. Get used to seeing lots of yellow hankies people. It's going to be a long season with more penalty yards than ever before.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yellow hankies and pink tu tus. What color flags will your team wear this week? :shrug::cool:

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t know what to think about the new rule because there is only speculation. On the denial of disaster side, I read an article where somebody said there would have been only 6 (yes only SIX) penalties in the entire NFL season if the new rule was in force last year. If that were true, how would that reduce CTE? I doubt that optimistic appraisal of the rule is true.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The rule could be strictly enforced to the point that it ruins the game and we constantly see star players ejected. Perhaps it will barely be enforced at all, in which case it is just another attempt by the league to act like it cares about CTE without actually doing anything. The third and most likely possibility is that the rule will be enforced inconsistently, and the furor of the catch rule interpretations last season will seem like the good old days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not to mention it changing out comes of games as we saw with the catch rule. Just when you think your team has beaten the patriots on the last drive the flag comes out for lowering the head. First down and another fantastic finish from Mr. wonderful. Yea I can see it happening.:cool:

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's extremely wrong on the reference to Sumo wrestling.

I watch a lot of Sumo and they hit heads almost every bout. This is because they essentially fire off at each other out of a 4 point stance as both opponents are required to place touch both hands on the surface of ring before engaging.

There are very few who rely solely on the belly technique with any regularity. (also, when using this it requires grabbing (holding) the opponents belt which would be a holding call) About 50% are pusher-thrusters which requires a lot of hands and arms with slapping.

Video of actual fight is at 3:15. you'll see Kotoshogiku try the belly bump and it fails.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The rule is asinine in itself as it contradicts not just the game but "intent" as well.

Pete Blakeman is going to have even more fun this year. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1