1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Things we would like to see KP improve on....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelReal, Nov 2, 2022.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Is there anything you would like to see KP improve on in his last 9 games of the season (barring injury)? I haven't been impressed much by him, but he hasn't totally disappointed either. He doesn't appear to be nervous out there and has a competitive drive in him. He does sail his throws at times and I'm concerned about his player IQ at times when he has high % options compared to low % options right in front of him.

The thing I would like to see him improve on more so then anything else (new OC or not) is throwing or waving his receivers beyond the first down markers specifically in 3rd and short (or the rare 4th and short) downs.

Nothing irks me more then to see these receivers run their routes short of the marker and have Kenny kindly assist in the tomfoolery by obliging their lack of God given sense by throwing short. It's the one thing that stands out about this route tree running that I can never get my head around. Maybe it's that the defenses are running a front along the first down marker area and are willing to sacrifice throws in front of them in hopes of rallying to the tackle, but if it is it's not blatantly obvious to me when I'm looking at the replays.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Start landing deep shots otherwise it’s the same crap all over again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'd say better pocket awareness; IE: stepping up in the pocket. He seems to want to back up and move to the right when he has a pocket to move up in. This alone will help him gain some more time and find guys open downfield, or take off and run the ball.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    How about let’s start with EVERYTHING. Do you think KP gets excited about a 3 yard pass play on 3rd and 12?

The real question that needs to be asked: who within the organization is developing this kid?

We all know Tomlin can’t develop talent. If he could, and if he was really a DB Coach and defensive guru we wouldn’t have an awful secondary.

KP has talent. He wants to work. He’s not entitled (yet) and isn’t looking for handouts. Someone on the staff needs to develop this kid into a pro and Tomlin is NOT that guy. Maybe Sullivan, but I know nothing about the guy to make me think he’s in good hands.

Kind of feel for KP. He’s in a crazy spot right now, and the organization and Rooney isn’t helping him a lick.

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This year will be a tough learning curve.
    No run game exists, so it's fire away young man.

The good things:
    - He not an easy sack, so maybe he survives this.
    - Since he's throwing 30-50 times doing his best impersonation of Dan Fouts, he could get very good at it.
    - He's really starting to read the defenses faster; you can see his progression developing.
    - Limit the gambles... at least for now. They will be good later when he knows how to make the most of them.
    - Get the tricks down, the hard count, the looking off of safeties, cadence changes, carry out fakes, catch the defense not hustling off the field, - all this will help.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    RUN GAME BLOWS. Most QB's need some support there, he has NONE

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Move the pocket more let him throw on the run give him at least 3 options on one half of the field 1 short 1 middle and 1 deep.. Teach him on 3rd. and long a deep ball is basically a punt turn it loose and let your WR'S learn to fight for the ball..

Use PA attacking the middle of that cover 2,, again with 3 levels on every route tree ...

Use the QB boot game let him keep some, teach him to slide and how to avoid the big hits ...

Give him multiple plays to call at the LOS let him learn to be a guru of getting in the best play he will mess up a lot but long term that will be okay...

Go a lot of hurry up to help him process info faster ...

Put him on the board everytime he comes to the sideline ,what was the D running, did it fool you? how did it fool you ? where was and is the weak spot in that coverage ? what is the best play or plays to call when you see that coverage ? Of course he will need someone who knows those answers ...Maybe him and our OC can learn together ?

• Like Like x 3
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    More Touchdown less Interceptions

That would boost his confidence more than anything.

He's had a few bad INTs but a lot weren't on him either but doesn't matter they all count the same on the stat line.

I'd like to see more throws between the hashs they don't have to be bombs down the middle bet I'd like to see more throwing to try to get a guy like Dionte out into some space.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Pickett needs to stop wearing Maddox number. Burn that jersey

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I want to see the general things you'd like to see a rookie develop in year 1. Quicker with progressions, getting to multiple reads consistenly, seeing the blitz a little better and using his hots (however i saw a stat where he's already pretty good against pressure), stepping up in the pocket vs bailing (this was mentioned earlier but think this would do wonders for down the field throws and general passing game success), better decisions when you're in the green zone (know when to gamble and when not to).

More than any of the position attributes. I want to see the team support him to give him a chance to help win games. Or winning opportunities (we're not good so i don't see a lot of "W's" in the win column). I was thinking back to When Ben first became the starter...I believe he became clutch early in his career because he learned how to win early in his career. The team was in every game, and he learned how to navigate the risk/reward (admittedly he had a much better cast on both sides of the ball). But I feel winning is a learned skill as a QB in the NFL. Most games are decided by a few plays every week. And as a QB you need to understand how to navigate critical moments in games...all plays are not weighted equally. I wouldn't say he needs to win a bunch of games to learn this...but more so begin to win the critical moments - playmaking on 3rd down, securing points in the red-zone, flipping field position, giving a covered WR a chance at a ball or set them up for a PI call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Throwing touchdowns.

Not throwing interceptions.

12. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Hard to say. It’s tough to judge his starts when the team has constantly played from behind. The Miami game was the most disappointing because it was winnable. Bills and Eagles the team wasn’t winning no matter what Pickett did.

More deep throws maybe. Fewer INTs - although if he’s still throwing 40-50 times a game those are likely going to happen.

13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I would like him to see the obvious blitz coming and call an audible or hit the hot route. Last week when the DB lined up for an obvious blitz he didn't recognize it and took the sack. He has to read that. Now the problem with the constant rolling pocket to the right is it takes away half the field because you don't want him throwing across his body. Lastly, how about developing a middle of the field passing game and the ability to look off the safeties because they are reading his eyes and the high sideline throws to pickens can't be our only go to pass play.

Doe Pickett need to add a little bulk on the upper body, I'm concerned about his durability. For some reason every time he's goes down I'm thinking injury, don't know why, he's not a small guy. I guess looking at Big boy Ben has skewed my vision of Steelers QB's.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    score more points then the other team. other then this he is perfect.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Initiate a winning % above zero would help. Everything else is secondary at this point. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    PA doesn't work without the run game doing something. LB's aren't remotely put in conflict when they try to PA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    True have to change some blocking more hat on a hat Power stuff , stop reading and dancing back to basics run North and South ...Blockers will get tired of the RB'S face mask in their back eventually .. This was 1 of my best tools to motivate runners and run blockers ,,we had a 3 yard rule no cutting , dancing or spinning until you get the 3 yards.. Then we could use PA..

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    KP needs to constantly work on his fundamentals, reads, studying defenses, rhythm with his
    receivers. Keep nose to grindstone. The cream will rise to the top.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Steelers Depot already has him at 4 times as many attempts as Ben had thrown his whole rookie season.

I think Ben was only behind by 14 points once and that was the game he came into.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He just needs time. This is why I wanted him playing now. He will be that much further ahead next season.

Passes the eyeball test for Peyton.

• Like Like x 2
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hitting the open receivers would be nice

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Time will tell. I see good things, but there are some :facepalm: moments.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually thought I noticed improvement every game until last week. Last week was a step back IMO.