1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    *are

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    just my two cents, Coach T has under achieved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Its a lot easier to get turnovers when the other team knows what you're doing.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Thought I read somewhere that the Steelers have one of the fewest number of coaches on its staff in the NFL and therefore, the least payroll. Up until last year, we didn't have a QB coach and that cost us when BB went down in 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This isn't always true. I am 100% sure that coaches don't prepare teams to play poorly and turn the ball over. Sometimes teams probably have a good week of practice and play like ish. Sometimes teams probably have a bad week of practice and play well. Sometimes the opposition simply plays better.

I don't know what goes on in terms of practice and preparation for the Steelers. It's safe to assume that they were prepared and practiced well enough to win a lot of games last season. The Steelers are professionals and get paid to do a job.

So as I stated, games boil down to execution by the players. It's was stated over and over by players and coaches.

"Good execution wins games," Brady said, per ESPN. "I think that's ultimately what we have to do. When you have to make the plays, you either make them or you don't."

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN stinks at the end of the year and playoffs not sure how anyone doesn’t see this by now but if they don’t they just are not paying attention

I know I know it’s all the players faults. I mean it has nothing to do with scheme preparation in game adjustments in game management. Hell why even have a coach? Just let the players suck by themselves and save some coin.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Making and missing plays is one thing, it's quite another when your entire team comes out flat and is outschemed. Frankly, I think the latter is part of the former. An unprepared player who k

When Robert Spillane is beaten repeatedly by Jarvis Landry, that's not execution, that's scheme. Coaches have to put players in position to succeed. The Steelers had successfully gotten pressure on Mayfield the previous week, and were caught completely flatfooted when the Browns adjusted in the playoff game with a short, quick passing attack.

8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    What you call flat I call it by the real term, execution.

Every team out schemes the opposition at times. The Steelers didn't have the horses at ILB due to injuries. I believe Spillane played injured and left the game due to injury.

Were they flat footed or did they simply fail to execute?

It certainly didn't help that the offense turned the ball over 5 times. Again execution.

The coaches didn't have their best game but player mistakes exercerbated the issues. The best coaches in the league can't over come poor execution and player mistakes.

You like one of those cats that have the answers to the test and still fail.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    So let me get this straight. If the coaching staff designs a scheme that has a linebacker covering a dangerous tight end, something the position isn't naturally designed to do, it's the linebacker's fault for getting beat?

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It isn't that simple. The opposition can sometimes create favorable matchups. LBs sometimes get caught in zones or man to man against WRs, dangerous TEs, or RBs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You act like that’s the first time a linebacker covered a wr. It wasn’t for the Steelers and certainly isn’t Steelers specific. I’m sure you weren’t complying when Spillane picked off Jackson a few weeks earlier.

12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe maddog doesn't watch other games??

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    you’re far too generous.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Spillane was also thrust back into the lineup too soon, execution was definitely part of the problem. If people want to blame Tomlin for something, blame him for that as well as sitting Dotson.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Everyone gets caught now and then, but covering the #1 WR - the ONLY WR ON THE FIELD - with a slow LB again and again? Sheer stupidity.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlin ain’t the greatest but Ben is problem #1 in the playoffs. Then the defense.

you guys know I love my Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Of course every team has this problem. But the Steelers are one of the few teams who have the gall to put linebackers on wide receivers on a regular basis because they still think you can play defense like it's the 90's.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Okay, is you sharing a brain with SDOT? I'm not aware of anyone having ever seen the two of you in the same place at the same time.

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The sentiment is fair. He is widely considered one of the best HC's in the league by talking heads, but his achievements dont add up to the love. He is probably just an average to below average HC IMO, but that's me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm trying really hard not 2 have 2 break down the LBs on Wrs thing for about the 100 million time.
    Really hard.:smiley1:

22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    That's not true. You need to watch more football.

• Like Like x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Browns come out in 12 personel, a heavy set. Steelers are in base. Browns motion to an empty set. 3rd and 2 down by 14 in the 4th quarter. Steelers have a couple options. They can can call a timeout and go to a sub package. However, they all have their drawbacks. They also require burning a timeout which you would stroke out over. Their best option was for Spillane to do his job and get hands on the wr at the los!

But! But! But! But Tomlin!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :rawk:. That is just a taste of it.
    Thank You.
    If that is D!<kish 2 some I apologize. Life is 2 short for hate.
    Beating the Hell out of each other cool, but No hate.;)

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Not only that, as much as Spillane is a yinzer cult hero, he's is still an undrafted FA that is likely as good as he's going to be. He's Matakevich 2.0. I'm not busting his chops, but at his best, you want him as a back-up. He played admirably for what he is to replace Dupree. But in addition to not being near the caliber of player he was replacing, he likely was playing hurt.