1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

These videos of Troy made me nostalgic - nothing like that on the team today

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Only player I ever saw that was anything close to Troy was Barry Sanders. You watched them and it was a skill set you have just never seen before them and after them. I am very happy to have watched his entire career. He was truly the best player I have ever seen for the Steelers.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    "These videos of Troy made me nostalgic - nothing like that on the team today"

Team? How about the universe? Seems now like it only lasted 10 minutes of our lives. Only thing even close to watch was Josh Harrison in a rundown back in his prime (OK maybe MJ too). Matrix caliber - all of them. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    You’re GD right !!
    Once in a century player

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Will never understand the Troy worship. Yes he was a humble nice guy and a good player but sorry I would take Ed Reed over him. Troy got beat in coverage too often and the way he tackled people like an animal was just bizarre. Half the time he hurt himself from his overaggressiveness. The notion that he was feared by every offense was overblown.

I know I'll get blasted for this but I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Arguably the best Steelers defensive player of the 2000s and easily one of the best Steelers players ever.

He was the forerunner for what was to become in the "hybrid defender" role in the modern NFL. He was also one of the games greatest mutli role defensive players. Free Safety, Strong Safety, Slot Corner or Inside Linebacker, Troy made impact plays where ever he went.

Since his retirement, teams league wide have been looking for multi role safeties; those with exceptional instincts no less. The only two right now, in the league, who remind me in some ways of Troy are Derwin James and Harrison Smith.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Always like to add this....****explicit language****

• Like Like x 3
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    are you kneeling and apologizing? Troy is a peaceful god, and may forgive you for such foolishness lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think Ed Reed being the only player you mentioned you would take over Troy speaks for itself.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ed Reed is a total HOF player in his own right. But, I never seen near the amazing plays out of Reed that you did Troy. Not that Ed Reed didn't make some because of course he did.

Polamalu, had an absolute knack of turning a game around or even sealing a win. Many times he would come through in the clutch. Team might be trailing by a score late, he would come through with a strip sack or INT.

He was truly once a generation type talent. Plus he was a good person off the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he made a huge impact in such a short time due to injuries. Had he played a full career he probably would've been the best SS of all time.

13. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    With a healthy Troy, I'm convinced we win SB 45. We were a much better team.

14. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    the goat. first ballot HOFer next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We missed Pouncey, too.

16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I think some folks overwrite their early-career TP memory/impression, and what an absolute game-changing freak he was, with the late-career-stage TP.

I'll take TP over ER any day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

You can not really compare them. They played different safety positions... Reed was much better than troy in coverage but troy was 100 x better than reed at line of scrimmage. Troy was probably best safety ever at line of scrimmage... Troy was no slouch in coverage in his prime though......

18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What can you say other than he was a pleasure to watch and I am thankful I got to enjoy his career.
    I agree with the Barry Sanders comment with either one of them you just knew something special could happen at any moment.
    It was kind of sad the way it ended but not surprising seeing as he threw his body at people with reckless abandon.
    Some of Troy's best plays are burned into my memory forever, truly a one of a kind generational player.
    How often if ever will we see a player sort of let loose to freelance and do what he did.

In his prime at his crazy wildest best I have never seen any other player make more special plays from 50 yds downfield to 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and everywhere in between.

His perfectly timed dives over the top , his diving interceptions , his strip sacks and his ability to cut guys down at the knees on screens.

If I ever met him I might just say THANK YOU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  20. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Troy made plays that no one else made before him. That truly says something. He was a definite game changer.

21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Truest definition of the term 'ball hawk'.

Man, I miss that guy.

22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Blasphemy. Although I do agree I'd rather have ed Reed than troy due to coverage reasons but to say he was over loved is egregious.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I wouldn't say the truest but he was a beast.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I did think that initially but in hindsight I disagree. Rodgers has proven to be rings aside the best guy to ever play the position.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'd only take ronnie lott and Reed over him. If you count rod woodson as a safety him too.