1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

These are the positions the Steelers shouldn't draft this year

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 21, 2016.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If Jaylon Smith was available I'd think he'd get serious consideration. I don't think they'd consider any other ILB prospect in the 1st because Smith is probably the only one who could also excel at OLB. I don't think any remaining ILB would warrant not drafting a DB. Maybe Darron Lee. I'd take some wild scheming to get all our quality ILB' son the field though if we took him.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well really between he and shazier not staying healthy and spence being a FA i could see that becoming a problem. i said that a while back that what was a strength position could quickly turn into a weakness position. i'd love to see lee fall to us. i snatch him in a heartbeat. :cool:

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    None of those guys from last years draft is guaranteed a spot on the 53 squad, except for Golson. If there are talented players at those same positions you draft them. I heard a interview Colbert did this week from the combine he was talking this is a defensive draft, with 7 picks they should draft 5 on defense and 2 on offense IMO.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Smith probably won't be able to play this season.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    dupree. with every team drafting D- heavy in this defensive draft, a lot of good offensive guys could fall in your lap too. we need to draft smarter not just for quanity but quality. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Probably not the first half, maybe the second. But I wouldn't shy away from taking him because he's just too talented. I think he can recover from his busted knee as I don't recall it was a severe injury like what Marcus Lattimore suffered a few years ago. Anyone taking Smith should have a plan for 2017, because that's when he'll truly be ready, and also why he falls out of the top 10.

If he's there at #25 and we select him, we have a replacement for either Timmons (if need be) or Harrison in 2017. I know a lot of us want immediate impact from our rookies but more often than not it just doesn't happen.

7. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. Two guys opened my eyes from their combine weigh-in:

Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
    Christian Westerman, OG, ASU

Both guys measured in with massive meat-hook hands, nearly 12" for both! Clark is a massive man with some move skills and quick feet. While we don't really have an immediate need for a tackle, he's someone we could snatch up as our top backup for both spots. From what I read I don't see why he wouldn't be the second OT off the board ahead of more hyped guys like Conklin, Decker, and Stanley.

Westerman could be a smart, viable option if we lose Foster. I think he could step in immediately and start at LG. Not as stout against power as some would like, but his move skills and ability to fit in a zone scheme would be excellent for what we like to do. I'm liking him more than Whitehair.

8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah I forgot about Dupree, I don't care if the next Andrew Luck is on the board the Steelers need to concentrate on defense. No WR or RB is going to help them next season. They can't even field a starting secondary because of all the free agents they have at the position. This draft is too deep at DL and safety, they should double dip at CB I have no faith Grant will develop.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we will have to agree to disagree. i do think we will see a safety, CB, DL and a LB in this draft but we will see a couple of offensive positions as well. OL, and possibly a qb and TE at some point. i do have faith in grant though. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    faith granted

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There are reports from the combine Smith has nerve damage from his injury, and he won't play this season. He tore his ACL and MCL, he's done for sure.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I could see him in black and gold. He would need to get heavier to handle OL.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I couldn't, he won't play in 2016.

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I did not know he had nerve damage, bye bye Jalon for the Steelers. Its a shame, I like his game.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wr- No
    Rb- maybe
    Qb- Yes,please... I don't know which was more painful...Ben injuries or the qb's playing behind him

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    These are the positions the Steelers should not draft.QB, WR, Center. Center position mentioned only if Pouncey is healthy.I would like to see Steelers move Pouncey to the guard position. WR only if MB is clean.If he is not clean ,then a WR will be needed, Wheaton will be gone after next year.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  18. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah just saw that. Big bummer for him, but at least he took out a $5 million injury insurance policy. Nerve damage is a tough one to take a risk on early in the draft. Would be surprised if he goes before the third round.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

I think if Cardale Jones is a later pick in this draft say 3rd or later we should draft him, I like his size and he has a gun arm, and he is bruiser on the run, might go higher in this draft but it will be interesting to see where he fits in this draft.......

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no please no.:cool:

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Saw on steelers depot, they are talkin to more qb's.....WHY?!!!!

ITS A WASTE OF A PICK....just sign a veteran.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Might be an indication of looking for Bens successor and not a backup. He got beat up pretty bad last season, might have them worried about how much longer he has left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If we could move Wheaton and get an additional 3rd round pick for him, I"d do it. We have a bit of a surplus at WR and we have depth issues and lack of talent issues at other positions.

24. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I think I'd rather play the comp pick game with Wheaton. Have him play for us for another year and hope for a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for when he signs a ridiculous free agent contract with some other team. If we trade Wheaton I would prefer it be for another player instead of a draft pick. Someone who we know can come in and play rather than putting our hopes in a rookie.

25. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You've got a point. We are so close that getting back a guy who can immediately contribute would be the preferred way to go.