1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

These are the positions the Steelers shouldn't draft this year

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 21, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    QB, RB, WR since they don't have picks in the 5th or 6th rds, picking players at those positions those guys wouldn't play this season anyway. They need to address CB, S, DL, OL, TE, free agency will have a impact also. They should probably double dip at the CB position, most of their secondary from last season are free agents.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No to RB in the first... but honestly DeAngelo is 32, and the I'm shocked at how limited the guys behind him are. I think if there was a
    RB in mid-to-later rounds who excels as a blocker and third down situations we need to consider it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree with one thing. If a good solid qb is there after 3rd round. Take him. I have no confidence in jones at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Kenyon drake rb alabama. Would love to see him in pitt

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see them choosing any of those positions.

You have Fitz who showed well, even Todman for RB.
    Landry and Grad or some other FA for QB.
    And even less need than of any of the above to be selecting a WR.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think they will take a flyer on a qb in the 7th since we have 3 picks. i do think landry is the backup as we move forward. i'd look at a kid like sudfeld from indiana in the 7th. i do like fitz as well as our 3rd option at rb like blast said. he played well for us. :cool:

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup.

Same goes for QB or WR. We shouldn't ignore any position just because of a lack of immediate playing time. If any of the well-respected prospects at QB, RB or WR make an unexpected fall I think we should be open to drafting them.

8. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm against drafting a QB in any round though... If Grad can't be our back up just sign a Vet, like a Batch/Leftwich type signing.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i look at it this way, if we draft one in the 7th and he works out as a #2 or #3 down the road great, we need them anyway. if he becomes more again great we hit a home run. those are few and far between though. if landry and say sudfeld end up as 2 and 3's we still have brought them through our system and by the time we need to replace ben (and yes someday we will) if that said qb struggles early we at least have two guys that know our system until we find that replacement. we would only have 4th and 7th round picks used on two qb's. we sure haven't found too many other positions in those rounds that are starters on defense for us or offense for that matter. :cool:

10. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't think of any QB that was drafted seventh round and groomed to be a long-term back up... and it actually working out to be the case that he became just that? All of them that did pan out were usually so good that they were an eventual starter after a short time, not a back up. It just doesn't happen that often that they pan out either, maybe every 5-10 years or so.

I think it is much easier to strike gold in the 7th with a RB, interior linemen, or WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with you on Sudfeld. If they add a QB, he'd be the one I would like.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Drake is a fumbler, RBs are a dime a dozen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not when they don't have picks in the 5th and 6th rd, rookies at the skill positions won't get any playing time. This team is in win now mode, they need to load up on defense in the draft.

14. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Most of drakes fumbles were on returns. He runs hard and has speed. He is hardly a dime a dozen.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If he was there in the 7th rd then yeah otherwise forget it, the Steelers shouldn't be drafting skill position players in this draft other than TE IMO.

16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I am not completely disagreeing with u. I was just responding to a post someone made about a RB or drake specifically. I agree this should be a defensive draft. Especially if we can't somehow get more picks.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we took 6 out of 8 last year on defense. you really can't just keep drafting a bunch of guys on one side of the ball before the ones you drafted last year have a chance to step up. they just become more bodies. coates and james the two we drafted last year on offense will probably have a lot of playing time this year. dupree, golson,grant,lyons and chickillo should also start to fit into the plans we drafted them for last year. you are not going to draft 6 or 7 starters for defense in one year and if they don't work out that year you draft 6-7 more the next year. we aren't the browns. :cool:

18. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Grant did not seem to impress anyone though? There was a need, and he couldn't get on the field much. Time will tell but we were all excited at his signing. I thought he might make more of an impact, but maybe he makes the leap this year? Still see us snagging a DB in the 1st. James will fill in nicely for Miller. I liked what I saw from him.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we see a better player year two in grant. golson showed us even less, so we will see what he offers too. i think we will see a safety in the first. i'm leaning toward thompson. if not we may wait until the 2nd. a lot depends on who they bring back. :cool:

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I may be a little pessismistic on the position right now, but until I see some return on a CB we drafted recently, I would prefer to go the FA route right now. Something is not clicking in the coaching and/or scouting depts. I definitely want to add some talent via the draft, I just don't know what to expect when and if we draft one high. I'd really like to see William Jackson III added to the mix.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Curious what you've seen in Jackson that has you excited. I recently watched all 3 of his games on draft breakdown, and I see a 2nd round player. Solid overall, but not special by any means. He had 2 interceptions in their bowl game vs. Florida State last season, which sounds great. However, when you watch the tape, on the first int he was burned badly deep and the ball was horridly underthrown. Should have been a walk in TD for the FSU receiver. The second was on a desperation throw with seconds left in the game. In each of the games there were good and not so good plays. What really makes me nervous is that he likes to tackle by jumping into guys high. The good thing is that he seems better with the ball in front of him, which is a positive for our scheme.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    First of all, he has great size, 6'1" or 6'2". But he is also pretty quick and can really close on the ball. He had a ton of PBUs and you can see he tries to attack or contest every catch. From what you can garner from watching TV, he seems to have a very competitive attitude. He certainly doesn't back down from the WRs and has that ball is mine mentality. I watched the Temple game, Bowl game FSU and one half of the Cincy game (mid year). Plus the Tulane game on drftbrkdwn. He can be overaggressive and get burned on the double moves. Temple WR Anderson had one on him, but the very next play IIRC he came back on Anderson with a nice PBU by ripping his arms.
    If he is lacking in any COD/hips, which I don't think is the case, he can make it up on reading the WR. Basically, I like his quickness, height/reach and attitude. That's a great start for the Pros to refine anything else he needs work on. He had an injury vs Fla State so he couldn't play in the all star game, but I hope he's at the combine this week. I don't think there's a chance of him reaching our round 2 pick. I would be fine with drafting him round 1 if that were to happen. I think he'll be slotted late 1, early 2. Remains to see if KC wants to go that way in rnd 1.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Last year doesn't matter they don't have depth at certain positions on defense, the DL and secondary remember defense wins championships.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we did draft a DE (lyons) last year. grant and golson in the secondary. an olb in chickillo. i don't see a need for 7 defensive picks this year. just because they didn't start last year doesn't mean we just give up on them as depth or possibly more. year one to two is a big jump for players.:cool:

25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Both mock drafts on Steelers Depot have a TE and Safety in the first... I think some of their early round 1b choices were ILB's, which is really surprising....

Could we be drafting Timmons' replacement this year? His contract is getting a bit unwieldly the way they have to restructure is every year.