1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Theater of the Bizarre: Stat of the week

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

well the thread was about the bizarre: don't you think it's bizarre that the guy whose always been tattooed with the bombs away offense, to the guy that was going to bring back the run game are completely opposite. haley was also the saviour that could design running plays so much better and use a FB. that was supposed to be the difference maker. the first 4 games is all we have to go by for haley. thats all i was putting out there. haley was also touted as the guy that will fix our redzone woes. again all we have to go on is the first 4 games. i think this is all highly bizarre, but most don't look at it that way and think i'm here to want BA back or something. that too is bizarre.
    :cool:

2. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Theater of the bizarre!!!!! I was expecting to see the title of a new horror film just released or a site to check out sick images :shrug: :facepalm:

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Oct 11, 2012
    New England's rush numbers are a bit skewed. They took on a Bills 'defense' (for lack of a better word) that was just plain vanilla, couldn't make any adjustments (thanks, in large part to Wannstedt forgetting his offseason promise of hyperaggression), and played in what appeared, to my untrained eye, to be some sort of wonky, sissified cover two all game long. The Bills have horrible linebackers (outside of Barnett), and safeties that have nooo clue how to play the run. Trust me, at the end of the year, they'll fall back to earth.

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    How is it far better than Pittsburghs?

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    How many of those games did BA play without Mendenhall?

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    All of them. Willie Parker was the feature back in '07, Mendy didn't come along until the following year.

7. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How is it far better than Pittsburghs?[/quote:j1n50y5d]

Where do I start? Run blocking the first three games?

8. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    How is it far better than Pittsburghs?[/quote:6ho6nft9]

Where do I start? Run blocking the first three games?[/quote:6ho6nft9]
    How is the pass protection?

How many times has Brady been sacked?

And how was Pittsburghs run blocking once their starter returned?

9. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    A quick Google search for the Pats 2012 offensive line troubles brings up plenty of links concerning their O line situation. Its worse than Pittsburghs.

10. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
    I can find any answer I want by simply googling my question. Of course the pass protection has been good, the pass plays have been short throws or Ben scrabling and making a play.

11. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    So I'll ask again, how many times has Brady been sacked vs Ben?
    And what is Pittsburghs YPC with their starter in the line up vs New Englands YPC for the year?

If you watch NFL Network or listen to NFL Radio and a listen to the pundits who know the game, its universally accepted fact that the New England offensive line was a HUGE concern for them coming into the season given the turn over that they had. And now they're taking on injuries too. About the best case you could make is that it is equal to Pittsburghs O line, not twice as good like you originally stated.

12. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
    You're right Bobby, I just goggled it and it told me I was wrong....I apologize.

13. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
    But on a serious note, I have a hard time believing the Pats oline is ever a concern (baring major injuries to all of their starters) simply because of the style of offense they run. It's is 3 step drop and the ball is out, not to mention the very fast paced no huddle they run that pretty much handicaps the defense.

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    So Brady has been sacked as many times per game (actually slightly more) as Ben while running an offensive style that is supposed to limit sacks? Wouldn't that mean that they are at best equal to the Steelers line and not twice as good?

I mean its only logical to expect Brady to be sacked less.

15. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
    I wouldn't agree that sacks are a good ways to compare the lines simply because when Brady feels pressure he falls down, when Ben feels pressure he scrambles and usually makes a play. How about a qb pressure comparison? I'm not a stat guru so I'm not sure where to get those numbers. But I would say that would be a more accurate comparison

16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  18. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
  19. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This an odd but scary stat. They have finally found a way to run well against the light sets they see all the time. Now you really do have to pick your poison, Welker for 15 catches or Ripley for 150 yards. Good thing they play a bunch of rookies on defense, that will really keep them from succeeding :p

20. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Look, the Patriots consistently have the best line in the NFL. Belichick is a bit old school and coached under Parcells, and so he knows: the offensive line is the key to success in the NFL. Always was and always will be. Want proof? Go back and look at Super Bowl XXII, when some guy named Timmy Smith ran all over the Broncos. When your line is very good, everything else falls into place. You can have mediore backs and WRs and a good QB and look Super. In fact, didn't Cowher get to a SB with a good (not great) QB and mediocre backs and WRs? He had an awesome o-line, anchored by a HOF center.

Tom Brady, while a great QB, is as much a product of the best o-line play we have seen over the past 10-11 years. Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, both HOFers, were also bolstered quite a bit by another great (if not the greatest of all time) o-line. Those teams knew who to draft and how to build that line. The Steelers used to be very good at this too. But now it doesn't matter who they get, there is something wrong with the approach.

21. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    ????

22. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Why is it that no one wants to give Brady credit? What is so hard about it?

Yes there is no doubt that Tom has had some very good O lines in the past, but this year is different. The Pats O line this year more closely resembles the Steelers in terms of quality and he's still getting it done. But because he is you're giving the O line the credit? How about about giving credit where it is due, to Tom Brady. The guy is a great quarterback. One of the best of all time.

23. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Looking for a Brady lovefest here is asking a little much. I think even those folks that hate his guts here understand they are watching something special. That doesn't mean they like saying nice things about him.

24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Didn't I call him a great QB?

That bad o-line of theirs ran up and down on the Broncos with mediocre RBs. How'd the Steelers fare against the same D, with the same quality of backs? I would not call the Patriots' line bad or mediocre this year or any other year under Belichick. They have a philosophy and it works.

Now, back to Brady. I firmly believe that Matt Cassell's success with that team in '08 is a stinging indictment on Brady. Remember, when Cassell stepped in at QB, he had not taken a meaningful snap since high school. Think about that. And that kind of QB take sover, goes 10-5, and had a HIGHER QB rating in his first season than Brady did in his. So, yes, I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that Brady is partially a product of that system. If Cassell can do it, then heck, anybody can. While many NFL players have voted Brady as the best player in the league, there also are very many who voted him as the most overrated player in the league. So he is definitely very polarizing.

25. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
    There isn't a stat line out there that will show you how bad this line was last night. Injuries or not this is the NFL, it happens. The line is terrible from the starters down to the last dressed man. The pats oline makes this line look like a group of high schoolers.