1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    In the last episode before the break, one of the whisperers spoke to Jesus as he stabbed him, and then after the group took a bunch of whisperers out, Daryl took the mask off of one of them.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well I guess that shows how much my enthusiasm for the show has dropped, I thought Ricks last episode was the mid season finale :lolol:

So they killed off Jesus, I think that was stupid. I've since gone back and read up on the show and read an interview with the actor and he was dissatisfied with the direction of his character. Said in the comics his character was bad ass and most capable fighter of the group and did a lot of cool stuff and never really explored that. I have to agree, waste of a good character.

Looks like I have some catching up to do before Sunday but not sure how much longer I'll continue. The Whisperers story sounds cool so might keep me interested. Negan escaping will just be redundant if they go back to the same old with him. They should have him team up to take out the whisperers.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    In case you guys haven't been watching lately, you're missing out.

They've done the Whisperers arc SO much better than they did the Saviors. And a pretty iconic comics moment happened tonight, albeit, switching character deaths as usual.

Looks like we finally see them in winter next week. A blizzard in fact.

Hmmmm... undead in the snow. Where have I seen that before? Seems familiar. It's on the tip of my tongue... ;) :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah, this season has been significantly better. I actually look forward to Sunday nights again.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I just got caught back up I was not happy with the show and the direction it was going in. Abe, Carl, Rick, Jesus and maybe Maggie all gone really stinks. However this season has been a whole lot better. I am having trouble keeping up with the new characters but when there is so many groups you'll have that. I am sad to see the Highway Men go I really was starting to like them.

They(Scott Gimble) said on talking dead that something is gonna happen on Fear of the walking dead and then there will be a big announcement.......hmmm. Not sure what that means he said something that was seen before will be reintroduced..........also said 2020 is gonna be crazy. One question why the eff is Negan still arounf I am thinking he will be the key to beating the Whispers.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The answer to your last question: tons of comic spoilers. But you're very warm. (Assuming they stick to the comics)

I'm not sure what Gimple was implying. I know that Dwight will be on FTWD this season (should be interesting when Morgan and Dwight meet again). Maybe Fear takes a time jump too and the people who took Rick show up there also??? I can't think of anything else that could be reintroduced, except maybe, just maybe he was referring instead to characters on Fear we haven't seen for a long time and/or assumed dead. Daniel probably. Madison???

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    /
    Hmmmmmm....pretty interesting. I don't read the comics so I have no clue what happens or what did happen there. I will say the on talking dead they said the show don't follow the comics and that in the comics there were different people's heads on the sticks.

As for Fear I am wondering if they are talking about the Dwight thing and maybe gonna merge characters a little. I guess mid summer we shall know right?

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah. They frequently "remix" deaths (give an iconic comic death to a different character). But the broad stroke events are close if not the same. In the comics, Andrea would still be alive. Carol died in the prison and was never a badass. Abraham actually outlived his comic death (Denise took his comic death). And, of course, some show characters didn't even exist in the comics, especially Daryl.

Other possibilities for plot elements that could return: Proctor John, or that super flu plague could hit FTWD.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nothing too earth shattering tonight.

But they REALLY garbled that last radio message to keep people from being able to pick up on the voice to keep us guessing.

So who was that? My most likely suspects:

Maggie
    Jadis/Anne
    Some new character (is it too soon to introduce the Commonwealth?)

Wild, crazy, tin foil hat, conspiracy theory guesses:

Madison?
    Alicia?

Could this be the prelude to merging the shows?

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This was suppose to be the season finale?????? Not gonna lie it was lame, the season overall was pretty good a whole lot better the last couple. I was on the verge of giving up but I binged watched to get caught up.

The radio thing I am wondering if this is what Gimble was talking about a few weeks ago on the talking dead. Could it be a fear cast member? Also I don't think it was Maggie since she is having contract problems and is on another show. Maybe it is and that is a way for her to come back IDK.

I guess now it is all about Fear the walking dead to see where we are at.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny you are still watching and I am the one who gave up on it :lolol:

I haven't seen an episode since Jesus was killed off.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You missed a great second half of a season. TWD hasn't been this good for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah was thinking that when you posted you were done. I was never done I just stopped watching and getting all excited for it on Sunday night. I recorded it and had like 7-8 saved up when a buddy texted me and asked if I watched and I knew at that point something good happened. I do not like the direction it has gone in as far as killing off characters but I still watch..........

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nobody likes seeing certain characters get killed off. Especially long term ones who start to feel like family.

But if nobody dies, the stakes don't seem real.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree but the number of main characters is very high. Sorry but in other shows that ran a long time you don’t see this many main characters gone. Jmo

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Which is one of the main problems with network tv in this country. They milk crap long after a show has jumped the shark. That’s one of the reasons I like bbc programming. Their seasons are short. They will tell a great story and they are done with the show. Then Move onto something else. We just keep pushing out the same tired jokes and storylines for 10-15 years.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Problem is 2 fold. Stupid decisions on killing off certain characters and show running too long, so naturally actors want to do other things. Was a waste to kill off Abraham if they were going to kill Glenn and more recently, Jesus. Could have done so much more with his character and from what I understand, the comic did, so why not the show?

Lot of big characters gone quickly in the last year also. Carl, Maggie, Rick. Just too much. Whos left from the original cast? Darryl and Carol? Maybe Maggie comes back. I invest in a show because of the characters, can't wipe an entire cast out. If you do, you need to do a lot better job replacing them like they do on Fear The Walking Dead. That cast now is probably better than the original players.

Aside from that the show has just become too redundant for me. As long as the ratings are up, they'll milk it for all its worth though.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Game of Thrones. 7 years not counting this season. I stopped counting at 27 major or significant character deaths. That's not even counting minor characters.

And before it's over, I'll wager few will be left standing.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have not watched but that is one.......not many more if any then that!

• Like Like x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I so agree I didn't like the Abe killing and losing Carl, Rick and maybe Maggie in a short time is too much. Oh and like you said Jesus who was a bad a$$ never was cause they didn't use him right. You do get attached to the characters good or bad and when you kill a lot of them off it stinks. I will say this you should watch this season it was pretty good but they did pull their lame BS with the last episode of the season.....LAME!!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I agree that this season was one of their better seasons even with much of the cast gone. It had good story telling, which is the point. It played out much better than the saviors arc.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I actually stopped watching the season finale half way through, rewound to the beginning and then shut if off with a plan of watching it another time. It was just so disconnected from the previous episodes. WTF territory. I’ll get there, but only when I’m ready for the digression.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah man I was exactly like that I even said to myself(cause the wife and kid stopped watching) WTF out loud........... How did they go to such extremes, I mean the cliff hanger with Negan and the bat to this??????????? I mean holy cow a major cliff hanger then a show that I sit here going WTF did I just watch. Now before someones says not all episodes can be good I get it but this show has been like a roller coaster the last couple years after such a action packed first few.............jmo

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    IDK. After the episode prior to that, maybe they felt like giving the audience a break and not leaving them all summer in a state of mourning or worry?

And they did give another push towards Negan's development.

But it did feel like a bottle episode with little story advancement. Just an excuse to have an episode in a blizzard.

25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    After watching the finale, my wife and I both apparently missed something. At one point, Judith is shown at the movie theater in The Kingdom. Then after the heads on poles event, everyone that was at The Kingdom is trekking to Hilltop in a storm, but Judith is not with them and is in Alexandria.

My assumption is that time has passed, but it wasn't really shown or explained well. My wife thinks they made a mistake. I re-watched the beginning, and figured the way Ezekiel is explaining everything falling apart meant time had passed, but why other Alexandrians except Judith still in The Kingdom if that's the case?