1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Was a good fight scene with Jesus and Morgan but why, why can't we all get along????

I agree that Maggie screwed up and I think they hinted on talking dead that she did as well. I think keeping that spineless bastard around could only be bad.

The whole Morales thing was as fine cause really I didn't remember him anyways so to me he was just another guy. I would not be surprised if we see him again is they do a back story on Negan.

The ending was kinda spot on cause the whole show they had things going their way....way to much their way!

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Morgan is going to go far. Already did the whole walkabout thing, I bet he rushes in to save the Kingdom from that attack.

I definitely remember Morales, not his entire story arc but I do remember how they went their separate ways. Just didnt make much sense. Hey, blast from the past arrrh your dead!

I can handle everything going their way after nothing going their way last season. Ive seen enough of Rick and his group crawling. I want the saviors to die with extreme prejudice. They deserve it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree and feel the same way but you knew something was coming especially when Zeke said they didn't lose one not one. As much as we think they deserve it "hollywood" don't play that way.......lol

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah thats true, jinx, oops! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thor

Thor Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    I didn't think it was a bad episode, but I can't help feeling like they're dragging out the events over these first three episodes. They're obviously raising the issue of morality in war, with the issues of what to do with the captured Saviors. But, in a style typical with the WD over the past few seasons, they seem to be over-focusing on it, with different events/quarrels between different members of the Hilltop/Kingdom/Rick's Crew.

I, too, was confused with the Morales appearance. I get it - in the world WD has created, anybody can be offed at anytime - but it still seemed strange to bring back a character from S1 to serve in a cliffhanger only to kill him off rather quickly the following episode. I also thought the dialogue he was having with Rick deserved more weight than that given to whether the Savior POWs should be kept alive or not - equal in any discussion of morality in war is how one side justifies their actions over their enemy's. Morales was charging Rick with being no better than Negan, calling him (per the episode's title) a "monster." I dunno, I guess I miss more numerous subtle nuances I felt the show presented with respect to differing views and dilemmas in the first couple of seasons. Now it seems like they focus on more obvious points, and tend to beat them into the ground.

As for the fight scene between Jesus and Morgan, I thought it was well-choreographed, but I also couldn't help feeling like it was borrowed from a Marvel movie where two heroes go up against each other over a squabble early on - fun interplay, but you knew nothing was going to come of it.

And where's Negan? For a guy that's supposed to be such a formidable and feared presence, they sure aren't doing much with him.

6. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

Last we saw him, he was trapped in that trailer with Father Gabriel surrounded by a 1000 walkers in a situation where no one can survive. So I expect to see him this week show up out of no where with nary a scratch.

7. Thor

Thor Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    Lol, yeah. I admittedly haven't read the comics, just seen excerpts, but from what I have seen Negan comes off a bit more ferocious in them than the show (with no offense to Jefferey Dean Morgan).

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not impressed with tonight's show, been an ok start to the year but tonight I wasn't a fan. Just heard on talking dead a back story on Negan/Lucile could happen this season.....maybe even next week :thumbs_up:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Killed Shiva, that makes me mad :mad:

He could have bucked those walkers off like fleas. :zombie:

Brutal episode for King Zeke, he lost everybody, even took his cat. At least Jerry made it.

Tough episode but thought it was good.

10. Thor

Thor Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    Eh, I thought it was fair. The first 30 minutes I thought were boring - especially the 15 with the trash talking David Koresh Savior leading Zeke away to the sanctuary with the even slower than normal walker horde following behind. At no point did I think they were in danger, and the verbal interplay was equally uninspiring.

I don't enjoy panning the show; it's obviously successful with millions of viewers (including myself) still tuning in weekly, but I just feel the creative team has lost the feel for how to tell a story that gets me fully plugged in. Mad Max Fury Road is one of my favorite action movies of all time. It featured a car chase that, among other things, featured a vehicle with a dude with a flame-shooting electric guitar sporting about 20 amplifiers, with guys on the back beating drums. If you wanna talk over the top, not-grounded-in-reality scenario, there you go. But it told its story in a way that sucked me in, and stuff like that didn't bother me in the least - I just found it entertaining.

TWD, on the other hand, seems to have lost me on how to tell a cohesive, intriguing story that gets me past some of its scenes that require a suspension of disbelief. Things that rubbed me wrong from this episode:

- I thought it was good they presented a chain of events that may have forever rattled Ezekiel, dropping his over the top approach/speeches. But I didn't feel it necessary to dedicate an entire episode of events solely pointed at that. Find a way to weave things together amongst other compelling events to keep the audience fully engaged.

- As mentioned, I never thought Zeke was in any danger while limping away from the carnage from last week's ending. It was obvious the show was staging events solely for their impact upon him. And how do I care at all about Savior David Koresh? It was equally obvious he wasn't going to make it past the episode.

- Carol's attack on the Saviors trying to scuttle the 50 cals out of the outpost. Ignoring how she aimed through a ceiling tile, she fired a burst of semi-auto rounds and happened to get kill shots on all of them? No groaning, rolling around, arm or leg hits; nope, all dead.

- Carol's attack outside the compound - if she really wanted to stop them from leaving, why not shoot the tires of their truck? And how did she know where they were on ammo? With all the bullets being sprayed around, that's some pretty good countin'.

- Jerry's showing up to slice pseudo David Koresh in half just in the nick of time. IMHO, the show does too much of this.

- Say what you will about the realism of having a fully trained tiger that knows good guys from bad, but having said 700+ pound beast taken down by a group of walkers? (Plus, having a soft spot for animals I plain didn't like it ;) )

- Rick and Daryl just happening to be driving by when the Saviors drove off with the guns, and some of events in the chase that followed. Impressive driving from Rick to be right behind a truck with a guy spraying 50 cal rounds at him, but didn't even hit the windshield.

I dunno. I keep tuning in, but I just wish they could find the magic the first season had in weaving multiple arcs while moving the main storyline forward each week.

• Agree Agree x 1