1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #1 I have come here since day one talking about this show, and I am pretty sure I said I watch every week but I just don't have the same excitement. Now I don't know about you but I thought that what this was for was to talk about things, not everyone is gonna agree and really to be honest with you if you don't like reading my post the simple answer is hit the damn ignore button. Pretty simple

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'll weigh in a bit - yes, this season has been a bit slower paced than I had expected after Lucille's blood feast, but I fully get why. The opposition to the Saviors was not ready to just go to war. They needed weapons, people, and most importantly to actually build an alliance in a time when trust can be really, really hard to come by. To me if they had focused most of the time on the main characters and did the side stories as quickie story lines, it would be unsatisfying and devoid of key information.

"There's this guy with a bunch of people and a tiger, and yada yada yada after a while he decided to get on board and fight." Really? Why? What happened to disrupt his peace with the saviors? Would it have made sense for all of the main characters to be there for all of that story line? No.

Or, "Negan captured Eugene, and yada yada yada he becomes Negan's chief engineer- and oh, he had a chance to poison Negan and didn't, but we didn't need to show that or why."

Sorry to pile on NY, but I just don't get for a second what you actually wanted to see. There's a LOT of ground to cover between point A and point B, and that ground covers a lot of simultaneous plot lines that can't realistically include the main characters in every case.

So I'll ask a question - the big war is ready to start (in fact, it may have started already - I haven't had a chance to see last night's episode). When the other groups start showing up, will the fact that you fully understand who they are and why they're there be more satisfying than if it were "oh cool, that guy with the tiger that we saw for 20 minutes in one episode is helping...?"

I will say this though - the Tara/Oceanside thing had better have more of a point than just development of Tara's bland character. Even I have my limits ;)

End rant

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

There's always a point.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, as long as the point is that the Alexandrians & Co. get guns (and maybe allies) from Oceanside, and not that Tara is so ethical that she wouldn't break her word to never say anything about Oceanside to anyone, under any circumstances.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I'm not saying a word

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    wow, I guess if you have criticisms of the show and point out that the viewerships is slipping, you should just stop watching.

Point is this show is the biggest thing on TV right now and if they tightened up the writing a bit, it would be Emmy Nomination worthy. Too many missed opportunities to build on characters by using stuff from the previous 6 years worth of development.

They have plenty of material for the show in the comics, but they seem to want to use too much filler.

As far as the team being split, the episodes when they do a good job of weaving multiple plot-lines together tend to be the better rated ones. (Example: GoT)

One example: Maggie and Daryl. That would have been a nice dynamic to explore with those 2 outside of the 2 minutes they gave it.

There's some really good opportunities for depth there if they want to slow it down.

Give us that Negan Backstory. I enjoyed the Governor episode when he met Tara and her family. Where the hell is Heath?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Taking Jack Bauer's place on 24. Also moonlighting for the Monarch Organization in Kong: Skull Island.

In TWD's universe? Probably joy riding with Morales. Who's that you say? Have we forgotten him already? :lolol:

Heath should have a larger role going forward, but maybe not for the show. I know they gave him an out without writing him off completely so he could do 24. Your guess is as good as mine if he ever shows up again.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this and maybe I didn't say it the right way. I have not been on here killing this show, I have not said I am not gonna watch any more. Just the opposite I made sure I pointed out that I watch every week and even watch the Talking dead after. I have simply said this went from a show that I couldn't wait to see to just another show I watch..........TO ME!

I also come here a chat with you guys most of which are not feeling the same way as me but some do. I thought that was what a message board was for, if we all agreed this would be no fun. In one of my last post in this thread I pointed out that there was not a post for 7 days.....7 days. That tells me while most people here don't have a problem with the pace of this show they aren't overly excited about it either.

The whole if you don't like it don't watch it so you don't come here to complain about it BS imo. First off I thought I was pretty clear while talking about this show that I still watch but am not sitting on Sunday waiting for it to come on like in the past. Second isn't this what a message board is for, I mean I have complained about the pace but many of you have pointed out your views which helps see things different.

Whatever don't matter, next week is the last one and it should be good and the world will be great again. Then this thread will be quiet mostly for the summer and pick back up again........

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The truth is there are many of us here who still watch the show and still love the Walking Dead, but just aren't as excited about this season.

I love shows with paced character development as long as they're good. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan and still love the 70s and 80s episodes better than the newer ones. The original series was often much more slow paced, without a lot of constant action, but it was interesting and intriguing. I like the new Doctor Who, but it's more constant action and big booms, and I don't enjoy it as much as the older shows where there was deliberate story. So I get the thing about building stories, characters, and situations that will need resolved.

However, for me, The Walking Dead just isn't keeping my interest this season, and from the onset of this season, it should have been one of the most exciting seasons to date. Yes, there are still millions watching, me and my wife included, but as I said in a previous post, we watch because we're invested in the show and like the idea of it, but we really don't have the same excitement for upcoming episodes that we used to. We've even forgotten it was on a couple of times, and that never happened before this season. I have plenty of friends and co-workers who have shared the same sentiment, so it's not something any of us are making up.

I'll still be watching, although I'm not sure my wife is going to keep watching with me. I'm still interested enough to find out what happens, but I'm not as excited about it along the way as I used to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To each their own but when the fans who have lost interest act like the 11 million people still tuning in, feels the same way, thats when I call bs.

I stop watching shows that I lose interest in, so its kind of weird to me that you guys are still tuning in. The people I know still love it.

The main problem seems to be that you cant accept that the show has grown and expanded the number of players. Like it or not, Eugene is a main character now, so is Sasha and Rosita. I'll always be more vested in Rick, Daryl, Maggie because they've been there from the beginning but the others are main characters now, too.

With the addition of Jesus, Eziekel, Negan, and their respective communities, its impossible for the main cast not to lose screen time. And to me, thats the only direction the show could go with the world they created.

With the exception of Taras episode, and maybe a couple others, I think they have kept it interesting. To demonstrate Negans reach and influence, I dont see how this season could have gone any different.

If its action you guys are craving, you'll get your wish this week.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    There were a couple sub-par episodes this season, but not enough to lose interest on my end. Sunday's was quite good I thought.

If you don't like stories drifting from one central character or group, you'd hate GOT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I guess the wording is wrong, I am interested in the show but my excitement is way down. Does that help you understand, I don't want to quit watching cause I have 7 years into this already. I have said this before to buddy at work that the first show this season may have been one of the best I have every seen. I knew no matter what the rest of the shows could not live up to that, but with that said imo they have been pretty bad.

I am sorry in my mind Tara and Sasha are not main characters. Negan, Jesus, King E are all guys that are getting major character roles. I am not sure if they are trying to increase the character size for the big kill coming next week and the start of next season or what they are doing but imo a show with Sasha and Tara is not as interesting to me as one with Rick and Daryl. jmo

Blast for me it isn't about the action, both the wife and I have talked about how the story line was so good prior seasons. Yeah I will admit blood and guts don't hurt but it is not a breaking point. Again I want to point out I am not on here talking about hating or quitting the show I am talking about how my interest level has dropped this season.

Someone mentioned everyone they talk to is fine with it, well I have to tell you I am of the opposite. Everyone I talk to feels pretty much like me, and I talk to a lot of people in my line of work. My son even mentioned all the kids and teachers in his school are feeling the same way. I was amazed at the numbers they still have right now when I posted them previously since I have heard so many bad things from others.

The good news is next week will/should be awesome cause TWD is known to have killer endings. With that said I am sure I will be right back here talking up this show......;)

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    By that rationale, I guess Abe wasn't main character then :hehehe:

Just because you dont like the character doesn't mean they aren't main characters.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Stop stop stop why you jabbing me......omg you are putting me in a tail spin, god I miss abe! lol

It really has nothing to do with liking the character, Sasha and Tara whatever take em or leave em but they are nothing more than supporting cast. Abe was a main character cause he had the best one liners.....lol!

Seriously though I get the need for a back story to show what is coming but I disagree with the stretches of shows with no Rick, Carl, Daryl, Michonne etc......:cool:

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think there's any way that what's coming could have been set up properly without the lengthy digressions. No way, no how. As for why, I'll just refer you to my post above from 1:30 PM yesterday and not be redundant. If the focus was kept mostly on the main characters, what's coming would make no sense. It would just be a bunch of new allies showing up at random with the viewer only having a vague understanding of why.

Now, if the show were truly perfect, they would have made every episode 2 hours so that they could cover all of the NECESSARY set up, and still cover the main characters for an hour per episode. But hey, they get an hour a pop, and that's it.

Even with the slow moments, this is my favorite season so far. It's no longer just a handful of people surviving day to day. Now it's groups of people coming together to lay the groundwork for the restoration of some semblance of civilization. Trying to live lives, not just survive. Can I get an amen!

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Amen! I agree, I think for the most part it's been great. It was so hard seeing Rick and everyone bow down, I can't wait for Negan to meet the real Rick.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I decided to spoilerize this, even though I say nothing explicitly. Read now if you fit the spoiler header. Read after if not.

Based on a comic story line they're doing their take on for the show as we speak, I wouldn't get too attached to a certain main character. Not saying who, and no. I don't know it for a fact. But the story line in the comics is iconic, and uses a different (long gone) minor show character. But they're giving it to a main.

Anyone familiar with the comics knows what I'm talking about. My only question is, how are they going to spin it? They won't do it straight up I don't think, but rather a riff on it. (Doing it straight up would have fans of the other Walking Dead show who don't know the comics crying repeat... even if it isn't really). ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Hmm...
    Are you talking about Andrea in the comics?

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No. Holly. It was pretty clear Sasha was taking Holly's place a while ago when she started dating Abraham. But her events with the Sanctuary (including Rapey Davey) seals it. Although, now that you mention it, Negan mistook Holly for Andrea around this time. The only riff I can see happening this time around is that Negan himself is surprised when the bag is taken off her head. One last act to cement the war.

I mean, they already did the fake prisoner exchange on Fear the Walking Dead with a walker. So that's been used. I think this time, Negan will only be using her to pressure Rick, but she already took herself out. Surprise!

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Come on now! You can't be serious? Best season? Although the first and last episodes of each half season are for sure pretty good, there are plenty of clunkers in there. If anything the best was the first.

It established a tone for the series, which they have deviated from at times, but always try to get back to in it's best episodes.

Having a community with more characters is fine, but the story's creator has come out and said that it's basically Rick and Carl's story. So, you'd expect some check-ins. They actually had 3 storylines in this last episode!

They're also stretching it out a bit. They jumped over certain story arcs in the comic and have inserted one-off stuff into the show.

I don't read the comic, but I like some of the changes. Having Daryll in the show is a great touch as is the Carroll character being who she is in the show.

They really do need to tighten up the writing though.

Example:

Tara when the explosions go off: "The bombs were outside the walls. You could have stopped this." What walls does Oceanside have that they've shown us?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

They actually did show us the front entrance with walls and the gate. It had a big sign over head "something motor court".
    Also I don't understand why it's so hard to just enjoy the show without nitpicking little details. Every single group of people we have come to know on the show has had some sort of wall, fence, or both. Even the dead group on the bridge from Tara's used cars etc to build a barricade. Why is it so hard to just accept that Oceanside had walls as well without being spoon fed? It's a show set in a world where zombies roam that in and of itself requires a suspension of belief.yet somehow a shell casing or the lack of showing the viewer a wall are some cataclysmic deal breaker.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    D'oh, right. Holly. I was thinking Holly, but typed Andrea. I think that scenario with Negan being surprised is very plausible.

24. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm bored, because for several episodes now I knew exactly where the story was headed and I'm just sitting her like "Can we get to that episode already?" It would have be fine if the sub plots were interesting, but the fact is they weren't. The writers could have done a much better job of keeping us engaged. This is where it's different than GoT. I honesly have no idea where each episode is headed and it genuinely grabs my interest through every story line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry I nitpicked your show. I'll just try harder to just enjoy the show when I sit down and watch it after having to go through hoops on the Slingbox just to see the current weeks episode and not a week late on AFN.

Seriously if they had walls, why did the "zombies" just come waltzing up the beach into the middle of the settlement?

This gate with the big walls on either side?

[​IMG]

The reason there's "nitpicking" is because they have enough viewership to put some care into what they put on screen and at least go back and make sure what they're having established characters do and say actually fits the scene. The CGI of the junkyard backdrop and the dear was laughable. For what they paid they could have rented a dear from a petting zoo and did practical effects.

Hell, this show isn't even dissected as much as some of the other ones I've watched!

Westworld goes down into whether an eye twitch means the character is a human or robot with the glitch or the presence of a revolver means it's a future/past timeline! Plus the writers play on this and drop clues throughout! (That show's a must watch can't wait to see where they're taking it)

Not asking for that. just make sure what you're putting on screen makes sense in the world you've created. I've long since gotten over the "Any brass casing fits any gun" stuff.

Have high hopes for the finale.

Back to the last episode for the "Little birdy" that snitched. Take the episode and flip the stuff in Hilltop with the Sasha stuff and it makes more sense. They tend to like to use that little timeline hack to throw things off lately.

• Agree Agree x 1