1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So I guess I am not the only one upset with how ****ty this season has been a little info I found:

Viewership dropped 25 percent for the season’s second episode down to 12.5 million. Such a drop may have been expected somewhat given all the hype around the premiere resolving last season’s fateful circle-of-victims cliffhanger. But then the third episode dropped too (11.7 million), and so did the fourth (11.4 million) and now the fifth (11 million), with TWDmarking a low point for the show since 2013.

http://jezebel.com/the-walking-deads-ratings-are-the-lowest-ever-this-seas-1789318705

2. Guest

Guest Guest

To be perfectly honest, when I noticed the morse code board, I was wondering who decorates their home with something like that because there is no way I would have that in my house. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you, Jesus! And I mean the real Jesus. :lolol:

Unfortunately, I know that day isn't that far off, though. :(

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Carl and Enid rollerskating was a bit too weird in the episode, but I guess they wanted to show two teenagers doing teenage things in that crazy world. I was yelling at Carl to kiss Enid already, and that he finally did. It was sweet.

I've always liked Maggie, but I absolutely love badass, preggo, widow Maggie Rhee. Girl power!

I think Jesus has the hots for Mags. A friend of mine thinks he has the hots for Sasha. I dunno, but I think Sasha's decision to not tell Maggie that she and Jesus have a plan to find Negan's home is going to backfire on them. Mags is gonna be pissed.

I know Gregory is an a-hole, but I burst out laughing when he told Mags, "Honey, I'm talking to Jesus." :roflmao:

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    You're BOTH barking up the wrong tree. ;)

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Noooooooo! Why do they do these things to me? Why?

*sigh*

I hate this damn show!

:lolol:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

You're gonna get it!!! :beee: :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Who's everyone? I only remember Maggie and Sasha looking out. In fact, I dont even remember any other people out there even trying to help other than Maggie, Sasha and Jesus. Certainly not many if there were, which leads me to believe they are well away from the gate and Maggie was just in a trailer that was closer.

And I don't know why a gate automatically squeaks, I have a 20 foot gate on my property and it doesn't squeak. And I doubt they rolled the car in there with the music blaring.

The point is, they left a lot to your imagination, so imagine something that doesn't piss you off ;)

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao::applaud:

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I have a 2 1/2 foot gate that squeaks if I don't oil it regularly. (Hell everyone's gate on this street squeeks:facepalm:) Point is there's going to be some noise going on setting all that up. They said the gate is broken. If i'm imagining things I'd imagine they broke the gate driving the car in then hopping out setting fires. A "WTF is going on out there?" line would have worked for me as well.

Point is they want us to believe that these guys are the most stealthy people ever. So they cut the scenes together to show that.

I don't think it's too much to ask that "survivors" show some sort of survival instinct at this point in the apocalypse. Even if they ignore it, the show is at it's best when they nod to the fact that they ignored lessons they should have learned. A throw away line "Maybe you shouldn't have pulled the lookouts" would suffice.

Now I do appreciate that they tried to show 3 different storylines in one episode. Bottle episodes get old quick. We just might have one next episode though...from the previews I've seen.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ugh, that last episode though....

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yup another clunker, now let me say I thought it was an ok but my frustration is how this season started with the death of Abe and Glenn. Then the lack of focus on the main group, Rick, Daryl, Maggie and so on. How many weeks did we go without seeing Rick or Daryl....or BOTH???? This is where I am getting frustrated as a viewer. I have read so much about other fans feeling the same way so I am not alone. Don't get me wrong love the show just want more, and my excitement on Sunday nights keep getting less. I know things are going to pick up cause there are only 2 weeks left but it shouldn't be that way. It shouldn't be that weeks 1 & 8 are great and in between it is hoe-hum......... jmo :cry:

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm generally pretty forgiving when a show I like has an off episode now and then. Having said that, the Tara-centric episode is officially my least favorite WD episode, including those from FTWD. There's been way too much departure from the main group this year. I know that they needed to tie up the loose end with Tara having left the group temporarily, but this whole episode could have been just a 15 minute side story with more of it focusing on the main group.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and I am not sitting here complaining that this show sucks I am not sitting here saying I am not gonna watch it anymore I am just commenting on a show that I like and how I feel it could be better. Hmm....I see a lot of similarities between this show this season and the Steelers this season......:shrug:

I just for the life of me don't get how this show can go from killing off two major characters after a major cliffhanger to not showing the main group half the time. I agree a lot of this stuff could have been put in smaller samples and we could have saw more of the group reaction, jmo. The ratings are falling each week so I am sure I am not the only that feels this way, they imo really screwed up cause they could have had one killer season with record ratings every week. The 1st night was a record and if they would have built off of that instead of this crap we have been watching they could have had tons of viewers. Let's face it shows are on tv for ratings now just to be on tv, let's hope the next 2 weeks are more of the group. I am sure it will as there is only 2 weeks left...............

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I get the frustration of not having the main group and Nagen being more of the focus but you guys have to keep in mind, it's a 60 minute show with only so many episodes to fit everything in.

I'm enjoying this season very much but agree, the Tara episode was meh. But, I know why they did it or at least I think I do. Negan has an army, they will need an army to defeat him. Alexandrria, Hilltop and the Kingdom aren't enough, they need more people and thats where this episode comes in. Thats my theory anyway and I imagine there will be more people they find willing to rise up against the Saviors. As last weeks episode showed, their reach extends far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast wish I could agree with you but I disagree with just about everything. Yes it is a 60 min show but let's keep in mind that first off they made us wait a very long time to even see who was killed. Then when they make us wait on the 1st night to see who it was....which I am fine with cause that was a good show. After the 1st week which hello was a very big blow to the main group we don't see the reaction....heck we still haven't seen the reaction of the main group.

As far as all these sub plots and needing an army fine totally agree and totally get it, but hey how about focusing on the main group a few weeks then hitting these stories up???? Sorry but not showing the daryl, rick, machonne, Maggie, carl etc is like going to an all you can eat and having one plate......it shouldn't happen. I am interested in these other groups but hey lets cover this group that we have come to enjoy watching before you add a whole new group, jmo.

To me watching this season is like watching the Steelers in preseason, yeah it is the team you love but most people you are watching are the stars and I would buy a ticket to watch. I am watching the stars the main group, I love the steelers but I will tell you this without Ben-Bell-AB it is a hard watch. Same can be said about the walking dead without Rich-Dayrl-Maggie- Carl-Michonne and the rest of the group week after week it is a hard watch. I do not get the same enjoyment with out the stars out there, jmo. And the whole well your not a real fan, yeah ok.......

18. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I feel exactly the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats ok, I disagree with everything you said too :lolol:

You say you understand the need for the sub plots but when would you like them to fit them in? Maybe the last 4 week weeks of the season while the first 4 is all about Rick, Michone, Daryl, Maggie? That would suck. Have to spread it around.

And they had a whole episode dedicated to Daryl and another one dedicated to Maggie. Maybe they could have combined the Carol and Tara episode.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

LOL, I didn't mean it quite like that ;)

Yes for sure I wanted them to come back and show the emotion of this group and I want them to mix in these new groups. There is no reason for what we have been watching, they could have done it a lot different. Not to mention make sure the main group was shown in some sort of way. I would still be mad at the slow down but man they could have has 2-3 super good shows in and then step back and give us a breather....... jmo.

I am not saying I am right but what I am saying is there are a whole heck of a lot of people that feel the same way as me and the ratings are proving it. Anyways onto next week, instead of popcorn I will have my coffee so I can make it thru the show...........lmao :shrug:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you're going to need it. We're due for a Carol snooze fest zzzzz

Or worse, canoodling!

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Lol....naw the bright side to all this is that there are only 2 shows left and I think it has to start picking up soon..........god i hope :beg::beg::beg:

23. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Now that I would have been OK with. Combine two side stories into one, since neither of those really needed to be a full episode, then get back to the main action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The problem is they're dragging material out and saving money as well. You can read all the comics in less time.

Some of these side stories can be told in combined episodes. Especially with B or C characters.

That and they're relying on fake out camera tricks again...that walker on the bridge just happens to be the only clean one and look like someone she's looking for? Come on we've done this before.

The whole "we don't need to kill" , "yes, we do need to kill sometimes" (This is the world we live in now) thing is old hat at this point as well. They had that discussion at least 4 times in this episode alone. The ham-fisted writing in this one makes you groan at points. They may have saved this with a better director though. They have the cash to get better writers and directors.

This is the same pattern they've been following for the last 5 years.

Power first episode, little follow-up, a few bottle episodes to save money, power mid-season final with a cliff-hanger to drive the second half of season ratings....

At this point you can skip half the season and pick-up the entire plot in 3 episodes. It would be nice to have a steady build to a midseason finale, some clean-up after the break, then a steady build to season finale. It's really a presentation problem. If this episode happens earlier in the season (before) the Negan visit to Alexandria, then you let the audience get the "Aha!" moment as you build to the end. Maybe have this and the Carol bottle as a joint episode and cut out the laying on the beach, walking through the woods fluff and place it better in the season.

don't want to get started on her excuse for being there and what she did before the fall. Really?! She has a perfectly good story about her past which doesn't need lying. Also, why not tell them about the most traumatic encounter with the Terminus folks? I'm pretty sure telling them about almost being eaten by cannibals would have worked as well to explain why she was sneaking around.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
  25. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I agree, Tara's episode could have been covered in 5 mins. My wife who usually see's every episode but wasn't able to see this one asked me what happened. I told her it was about Tara stumbling on to a protective all girl village who was pillaged by the saviors but eventually left to go back to Alexandria and promised not to tell anyone. Her reaction: Who is Tara again?
    Exactly.