1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought of that, but weren't they there for like a full day or longer before Otis and Shane went for supplies? Shoot, didn't they even have lots of time to kill just sitting around waiting to see if Carl got better? Shoot, when Carl got shot they were looking for Sophia. It's all they'd been doing. You'd think it'd come up. I may be remembering wrong.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Like I said, I'm not 100% on it. But I do know that Robert Kirkman said on "The Talking Dead" that Otis was the one that put her in the barn and "probably" hadn't even told Herschel yet.

Of course, an alternate theory is they kept her being in the barn a secret because they knew they'd just kill her.

3. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He's been put in a lot of crappy situations. What's he supposed to do about his wife cheating? He's right, it's not her fault, it wasn't really cheating. Everyone thought he was dead. If he had been dead, he (his ghost, I guess) probably would have supported her taking up with best friend Shane for support. She stopped it right away when he "came back to life" and has been a good wife since.

Then, while Shane is ranting about killing zombies to protect them all, Rick walks in bringing two more zombies, which looks like he can't protect his people. But he's got bigger things to worry about. He's in the middle of negotiating a long-term stay at the farm, meaning safety for all, long-term. If Shane wastes the barn zombies, they could get thrown out right away. Of course, then he could just kill Hershel and Maggie and the others, but at what point does he then become worse than the walkers?

The show's been putting their two types of strengths against each other from the beginning. Shane's shoot-you-in-the-face strength and Rick's do-the-hard-stuff-and-get-questioned-all-the-time strength.

I hope we get to actually find out what happened to Sophia exactly.

4. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Happily knocking this back to the front page because TWD comes back on Sunday (and I can't wait!).

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here! The wife and I have been rewatching old episodes in anticipation of TWD's return. :rawk:

6. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Complete season 2 reruns starts at 13:30 (east coast time) Sunday2/12/12 on AMC

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Tonight's show was pretty good. I won't spoil it for those who didn't catch the first airing, but the end was good. Next week's episode looks GREAT. (BS that they made you wait until 17 minutes into that comic book show to see next week's preview).

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You fell for that?! I will have to get by without a preview, but I had a pretty sweet 17 minutes. Made a sandwich.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Hmm, I guess you could say that in the sense that I left the tv on AMC, instead of changing it right away. :D
    I just did some work while it was on in the background. It was a dirty tactic on AMC's part though. How often does a show come on, go straight through the intro, and wait 17 minutes until the first commercial break? How was the sandwich?

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know yet. I'm going to wait until next Sunday night to eat it. It'll give it a "zombie" feel. Nice and crunchy. Clumps flying every which way like limbs. I want to set the mood just right...

Yeah, I don't like dirty tactics by tv. The worst is when they make their show one minute too long to cut off everyone DVRing it. I've missed SO MANY final Law & Order lines by McCoy, it's not even funny. Luckily, I think the rules have changed and they have to list it in the guide as ending at 9:01 or whatever if they do that. Still messes with DVR conflicts, which is a low blow, but at least you don't miss the final 30 seconds of something you just spent an hour on.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Good riddance.

And that's all I have to say about that...

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    About bleeping time! I woulda done that weeks ago. Shouldn't have been so close.

Well done.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I know how that was handled in the comics and almost wished they had done it that way. But I guess this way leaves some things open for interpretation (speculation spoiler, not a true spoiler)[spoiler:bmmv5nxh]as they speculated on "The Talking Dead" that Shane was goading Rick into killing him. Suicide by cop basically.[/spoiler:bmmv5nxh] And it makes Rick more of a badass. Comics spoiler about what we just saw:

[spoiler:bmmv5nxh]In the comics, Shane is threatening Rick, and Carl shoots him and kills him. Rick kills his zombie. They flipped it on us here.[/spoiler:bmmv5nxh]

Looks like the farm is about to be overrun. Warning, future spoiler: [spoiler:bmmv5nxh]Kirkman said Shane is not the last to die this season. Just please, please, please don't kill Daryl!!![/spoiler:bmmv5nxh]

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The last couple episodes have been crazy. Rick's a more patient man than I, because Shane would have been zombie food back at the school.

Past comic spoiler:
    [spoiler:1brvb8bc]Like Ray said, they flipped what happened with Shane on the show. However, Shane dies very early in the graphic novel series. He never even makes it to the farm.[/spoiler:1brvb8bc]

I'd add another interesting twist that already happened on the show, that deviated from the comics, but the title does say no comic spoilers so I'll refrain. Next week's episode is going to be nuts. I'm just glad it's finally over with Shane.

I could really find myself liking Daryll if he hadn't turned into such an ear collecting psycho.

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought that was part of his charm. ;)

TTF. if you're familiar at all with the comics, we meet a certain someone next week apparently. ;) Female.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I do know who (or at least I assume that's who you mean), but we'll see. 8-)

Pretty sure of it?

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, Daryll is great now. I don't mind the ears at all. In the beginning he was a bit of a dangerous loose cannon type, probably mostly because he lost his brother and was reeling from that. Now that he's settled down, he's one of the most useful, helpful, smartest people they have.

He and Shane sort of swapped places. Shane used to be more level-headed, then went off the deep end and became dangerous as Daryll became more settled. To me the question is who is worse between Merle and Shane... and have we seen the last of Merle? Didn't he just disappear? I'm not into the comics and I don't even keep up with Talking Dead stuff, so I really don't know!

Here's a question. I must be confused. Maybe I wasn't paying attention when they explained the Walkers, but I thought standard Zombie Rules were that you only become a zombie if you are bitten or scratched by one. Then you get a fever, die, sit there awhile, and then awake as a zombie. But in the last episode, two people died at the hands of another human, and then became a zombie! With no bites or scratches! Is it because the virus is in the air? And it can't kill you from inhalation, but will embed itself just in case you happen to be stabbed to death later, and it only can kill you if it bites or scratches you? What's the deal? Why did those two guys come back as Walkers when they hadn't been touched by one (one supposedly hadn't been touched, one certainly hadn't)?

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Speaking of females, I thought Andrea was a grade A bee-yotch a few episodes back when she all but put the knife in the girl's hand and told her to do it. Lucky or not, that's not a psychological game you get to play with someone else's kids. Coulda gone the other way, in which case I'd take her out in her sleep if I was Maggie.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    100% positive. Worst kept secret of this season actually. That leaked before the season premiere.

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Merle is a great character too (not a good guy by any stretch, but fun to watch. Or maybe that's just Michael Rooker). But neither he nor his brother exist in the comics, so all bets are off there. Robert Kirkland did say he plans on putting them in the comics now that he's seen how well they resonate with the fans. I can't say for sure, but if I was a betting man, I'd lay odds that we'll see Merle again.

The answer isn't really a spoiler, but I'm hiding it anyway in case people really want to wait until the show eventually explains it:

[spoiler:3bge1t9j]Everyone on Earth is already infected. Everyone. You don't have to be bitten or scratched. You could go without ever seeing a zombie. All that matters is you die with your brain intact. When you die, you come back.[/spoiler:3bge1t9j]

Slight spoiler: [spoiler:3bge1t9j]Supposedly we'll find out that that is what Jenner whispered to Rick at the CDC next week. Rick has been keeping that info to himself.[/spoiler:3bge1t9j]

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    **Hiding these vids in spoilers only because there's some adult language. So you've been warned.

Surely everyone here has seen Office Space, right? This scene was always awesome:

[spoiler:1rh374mk][youtube:1rh374mk]dN3v0drnTdQ[/youtube:1rh374mk][/spoiler:1rh374mk]

Well, on another forum I visit, someone remarked that the opening scene of TWD last night reminded them of that. sure enough, someone has already made a version. :)

[spoiler:1rh374mk][youtube:1rh374mk]uYAaIOB11yw[/youtube:1rh374mk][/spoiler:1rh374mk]

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't stop...

I'd pay to see this:

[youtube:shnkuw5f]giAQuLntqXY[/youtube:shnkuw5f]

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Ok thanks. I only venture out from under this rock for Groundhog's Day, and to receive occasional Steelers news updates.

Seen it? I've got the Swingline Red Stapler. No, seriously. :ugeek:

The similarity of those two scenes is downright uncanny.

I added the 'language spoiler' a little while back (badwords). You can just stick things in there without adding a disclaimer...it'll do the rest. Your way is fine of course, just wasn't sure if you were aware of it.

[badwords:11n4whmp][youtube:11n4whmp]B-Wd-Q3F8KM[/youtube:11n4whmp][/badwords:11n4whmp]

:lolol:

That Walken Dead is great. It would have sucked without True Romance quotes. :-D

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    [badwords:1e7o7dj1]How did I miss this? Nice addition. :D[/badwords:1e7o7dj1]

:thumbs_up:

I really doubt that. :p But her addition was leaked late last summer. So long ago that people have stopped talking about it for a long time. Unless you're a spoiler geek, it's not surprising you might not have heard it.

Yep. And it never occurred to me until someone said it.

(I never know. I would assume this movie lies in the pantheon of guy movies and everyone has seen it 100 times. But as soon as I assumed, I'd get 5 guys asking "WTF is Office Space?")

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks. I thought you might enjoy it, and it seems to be a good solution to linking to videos with...colorful language. Can't be offended if you choose to disregard the warning. ;-)

Heh heh. Yeah, I usually stay as far away from spoiler write ups as possible. I like to be surprised. :popcorn:
    I just looked it up and if they did indeed cast that actress for the role..she'll be great.

I didn't catch it either. I'm glad you posted it though, because I had to run into the other room halfway through it, and I could hear my wife 'EWWW'ing across the house. :hehehe:

I think your assumption is pretty accurate. I'd expect half the people I asked about Office Space to say "WTH is that?" and the other half to say "Sounds like someone's got a case of the Munday's".