1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Untouchable Big Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rukus4ever, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    In the San Fran game:
    Int 1 and 2 looked like him not being able to plant. The first 1 was underthrown and should of been a TD (and I think that Johnson ran the wrong route). The second 1 sailed and should of been an easy catch to Miller.

The fumble: why wasn't that a personal foul for lifting Ben up and driving him into the ground?

I'm so tire of listening to the fickle talking heads calling San Fran the besf defense in the league????? They wouldn't even be on the top 3 in the AFC North-they pad the stats on some terribke teams in their division.

A healthy Ben and that game could of been over by half-how about the overthrow on Wallaced (rushed that throw)?

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I say CUT THE BUM!!!! Colt McCoy should be available after next week.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

There's no coaching or coordination going on for that matter. Arians approach seems to be "Let Ben be Ben." Hell, if that's the case then fire him just to save the money. Ben can be Ben without him.

4. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

'cause when BA speaks :bscow: falls out

5. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don't forget Ben makes elite QB money. He never has a dump off guy, holds on to the ball too long, plays at times like he is not too smart. The main problem is he is too inconsistent. This is a fact that you can't deny. One game he'll play like a HOF qb, then the next game he will play like a 3rd.team backup. He is a good qb, just not elite. I finally came to this realilazation . It is what it is. Ben is still better than two thirds of the qb's in the league.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's why if we ever had a really bad season and were in a position to draft a potentially great QB, I would do it and look at grooming him to replace Ben within 2-3 years.

In fact, when Cutler was available, I was hoping we would find a way to trade Ben for him. The things Cutler does behind that line and with that playcalling is nothing short of a miracle. Put Cutler on NE and he puts up better numbers than Brady.

I just don't trust Ben to get it done when it really matters. He was beyond terrible against Seattle, he was good but not great in most of his other playoff games, he was bad against GB. Even against the Cardinals, other than that last drive, he wasn't very good then either. He was just okay.

I know Ben is loved around here, but I think he's overrated considering the type of money he makes. I just don't think he's worth it. He's better than Flacco and a bunch of other guys, but that fact alone doesn't mean he is worth as much as he makes.

7. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Jay Cutler? That Bears QB that bailed out on his team last year? He looks to be more injury prone than Ben. 3 years in a row Cutler is nowhere to be found in December.

Ben doesn't win pretty, but he wins. I can't wait until he shines again in another super bowl appearance and throws for 350 yds with 3 TD's. No his super bowl appearance against Seattle wasn't great, but his 3 road wins that year as a 6th seed was awesome. His comeback against Arizona was classic, I don't care if his numbers were not dominating. Last year after alot of off field controversy, Ben promised his goal was to take his team to the Super bowl and he delivered.

All in all, to doubt Ben after three super bowl appearances and 2 rings and a great Wins to loss ratio, playing in a tough city. etc. I guess you can get to a super bowl with the likes of Bubby Brister, Kordel Stewart, Karl Malone, Neil Odonothing, The Car salesman etc.

I guess there will always be Ben haters, and Ben lovers.

8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When hearing of the complaints of Grant being an alcoholic as he scored victory after victory on the Mississippi front of the war, Lincoln said (not the exact quote here) "find out what he drinks and give it to the other Generals. I'll (Lincoln) take him (Grant), he fights."

Sure Ben has his issues, but like Grant, he is delivering victory after victory. I'll take him, he fights!

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it seems like alot of people are afraid to draft a new backup in the first 4 rounds for some reason. why , i'm not sure. would it be a bad thing to have a young guy ready to step in if things go south? whats the worst that could happen? he plays better then ben or something? is that bad? :cool:

10. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I actually think Dixon can get it done. I think that's why he's being kept around.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not so sure i agree with that one. :cool:

12. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Hopefully Dixon will not be called upon to get it done anytime soon and will continue to ride the bench with a healthy Ben and Batch. Dixon wouldn't have made the roster with a healthy Leftwich. He can run, thats about it. His mechanics and accuracy are horrible. Hopefully Ben's back up will be targeted in this year's upcoming draft.

13. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    not so sure i agree with that one. :cool:[/quote:uj4jhufs]

Most people don't. It's all good. Lol!

14. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't think Dixon is any worse than Ben when Ben got his opportunity. I don't watch practices. I'm basing this on watching his play during Ben's suspension. I wasn't disappointed. Then again... there's probably a reason Batch is getting the call before him.

15. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think that some people cannot see the forest for the trees. I live in D.C. and let me tell you, I've witnessed "inconsistent" QB play first hand. Rex Grossman is an inconsistent QB. Joe Flacco is an inconsistent QB. BR is a consistent winner, and again...that is all that matters on the football field, no? If statistics are all you care about go back and look at Ben's career statistics more closely. They are pretty impressive, with only 2 seasons falling under a 91 QBR, and only 1 season in which he had more INTs than TDs (2006).

Not sure what the OP meant by nobody questioning BR on this board, at any given time there are probably 10 threads that criticize his play. Some of it is justified IMO, and some of it may be venting after a loss, nitpicking, etc. Is Ben a perfect QB? No. Is he a top 5 QB in this league? I believe he is. Can anybody honestly say given his body of work over the past (almost) 8 seasons, that you've been genuinely disappointed in his play?

Some think a good defense is the reason for the Steelers success? Really? Why hasn't Baltimore won more championships with the defense they've fielded over the past decade? Or the Bears? A lot of that is attributable to the guys they put on the field at the QB position. We have a great QB here in Pittsburgh. Please go watch the Road to SB XL DVD set and watch the Cincinatti/Indy/Denver games. After watching, you tell me if that's not an elite QB that we have. Same with his performance in SB XLVIII.

In closing, Ben is not above reproach. Nobody is, not Brady, not Rodgers, not Brees, not anybody. However, next time Ben throws an int in a game please close your eyes and think back (if you haven't suppressed these memories) to Kordell Stewart's '97 or '01 AFC Championship game performances, or Neil O'Donnell's SB XXX catastrophe. I'll trust #7 to get us #7 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

16. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'll give him a pass in SB XL. He is the youngest QB to ever win a SB. He admittedly could not shake the butterflies during that game, and I don't blame him. He's human, and he was very young, and yet he STILL managed to make the biggest play in that game: the 3rd and 20+ completion to Hines.

He was pretty darn good in SB XLIII, playing behind (as many on NFL net have called it) the WORST o-line to ever win a Super Bowl. Remember, the Steelers had SIX plays inside the 5 on one drive and could not score a TD. The line stunk, and so did Arians' playcalling. Ben almost singlehandedly won that game on the final drive.

SB XLV: Not a terrible game. One of the picks was a typical Mike (No fight for the football) Wallace giveaway.

That said...Ben is an admitted "gunslinger." He can't stand the short pass plays. He wants big plays. Bradshaw was the same way. This is where coaching comes in. Arians tailors his lame offense to what Ben wants. Instead, coaches should have a design or theory behind what they do and the players execute that (see New England). Instead, the Steelers have NO identity or mindset about the offense.

17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Gee Ben really sucks. He been here a whole 7 years and we played in only 3 superbowls and won only 2 of them. Dang that's bad. We also lost an AFCG his first year. As for me, I'll keep him on our team. Thanks.
    BTW Favre played in 2 superbowls and won 1 in his 20 years. They say he was good.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :goodpost:

Slightly off topic, but I wish commentators would realise that everyone knows Ben "extends the play", so we do not need to be told that it's his main strength 18 times every match. Simms, I'm looking at you.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It took us 25 years to get a franchise QB, In those 25 years we had 0 Superbowl wins.

Ben gets drafted, and in his 7 years here he has won 2 SUPERBOWLS. He is the single

most important Steeler ever aquired since the dynasty years. PERIOD!

20. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :amen:

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    sure we can be critical of Ben, then again, we could also be Brown's fans. Ben is the most important Steeler since the 70's. We don't go 15-1 in 04 with Tommy Maddox. We don't win the Superbowl, much less get there in '05 with Tommy Maddox. We don't win the Superbowl in 2008 with TOM BRADY, he's only good for a game winning field goal.

22. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    This