1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

the truth about arians 'retirement'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by muthjv, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Arians is very happy the steelers fired him, he got a head coaching job out of it and has been coach of the year twice and made millions more in salary to boot, BA sees it as a blessing.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see it as a blessing too.

3. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I agree wholeheartedly that Raising Arizona is their best work. If I were to rank 'em . . .

1) Raising Arizona
    2) Blood Simple
    3) The Hudsucker Proxy
    4) No Country For Old Men
    5) O Brother Where Art Thou

For me, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, and Big Lebowski weren't nearly as good as people make them out to be. And I haaaaated Barton Fink.

Hitchcock is my favorite director as well. Went down and bought every DVD available of every film he ever directed when I was younger and watched em all (with Strangers on a Train or The 39 Steps or The Lady Vanishes or . . . ugh, I was gonna list my favorite but I've got no favorite). Went to Mount Rushmore yesterday and I just stared at it thinking about North By Northwest. Love having Alfred Hitchcock Presents at my disposal on my Netflix account as well.

Really, this is all just an effort to hijack the Arians thread because this debate never needed to be resurrected.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Yeah if you'd been around for a while you'd definitely know that the Arians horse has been beaten to death, resurrected, re-animated, beaten to death again, rinse, repeat. LOL! I would say my favorite Coen films would be 1.Raising AZ 2. The Big Lebowski 3. No Country 4. Blood Simple 5. O Brother. I love all their work though and would say that my least favorite is either Burn After Reading or their remake of The Ladykillers. I even like Intolerable Cruelty and Hail Caesar. If I had to list my favorite Hitch films I miiiiiight have to say Vertigo is number one but my dark horse candidate is The Trouble With Harry. My favorite film of all time is Citizen Kane. If you ever wanna talk about classic films just pm me because I could talk about that stuff all day. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Me too. I need some more members for my I Love Todd Haley Club and we are always open for registration. If you want to pledge your undying allegiance just let me know and I'll swear you in.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm in. Right hand is up. Go ahead and swear at me.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Apparently you never heard of or don't remember the dog boarding story.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    *sigh..

Here is the synopsis. Bruce wanted to air it out as much as possible. Issue was, Ben kept getting killed. He averaged around 2.5 sacks a game during that time and his durability took a toll. Dan said enough in 2011... and Bruce did not listen in 2012. After the 2012 season, Bruce "retired" and moved on; Arizona (more specially Steve Kiem) being his new home.

Roll forward to the present day, is anyone else not that surprised at what Bruce is building in Arizona? For example:

Patrick Peterson: His own Ike Taylor

Tyrann Maitheu: His own Troy Polamalu

Larry Fitzgerald: His own Hines Ward (at least now in the twilight of his career anyway)

David Johnson: His Le'Veon Bell

Mike Iupati: His own David DeCastro

D.J. Humphries: His own Marcus Gilbert

There are plenty more comparisons... but the point is made. Regardless of Bruce's pouting or chest beating, he left Pittsburgh touched by its culture of toughness and physical style. Why else would he take chances on players like Mathieu who embody his style of player; Nkemdiche the same? Seems more that he is indirectly thanking Pittsburgh for instilling such values into him to build a competitive team than he is loathing them. Besides.. after 30+ years he finally is a coach. Yet another reason to thank Dan.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hence why any chest beating is for fan service and local media hype in Arizona.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    2011 was Arians last year for the Steelers.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough. Either way... Arians is more great full despite... no.. IN SPITE of his pouting.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We are still better with him gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Arizona wasn't his new home, Indianapolis was.

"Taking chances" on guys like Mathieu and Nkemdiche is, to the contrary, very UN-Steelers like. Heck, it's even been speculated drug use in college is the reason we passed on Marino in '83.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Diamond

May 26, 2012

How can you say that since we won two superbowls while Arians was coaching here, he was WR coach when we beat the hawks in 05, and he was the OC when we won the superbowl against the cards in 08 and we did it without a very good oline I might add, untill haley wins a ring he is second best behind BA in my opinion....

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    true it is an unknown
    but
    what bothers me most about Arians now is
    I didn't realize he loved Kangol so much and looks damn good in them i might add
    did he sport them here in the burgh

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mostly I can say that because our offense, and Ben in particular got much better after he left.

And giving him credit for winning the SB when he was a WR coach, really....

Edit: And if we had the 08 defense last season, I believe we would have been the reigning SB champs.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  17. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    or we could blame a running back for fumblin like we did in our last super bowl

18. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Yeah and if we had wings: You can criticize BA for being only a WR coach, but he still received a ring for his work, and every coach on a super bowl winning team is the sum of it's total parts, so dont forget it...

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    True, very true

20. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    BATH again??????
    thought we had cleansed ourselves of this

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough. However, just because Bruce has indirectly been influenced by Pittsburgh does not mean he is willing to take risks. So far.. much of those risks have payed off. Nkemdiche is the only one yet to be seen.

Like I said, Arians is influenced by what Pittsburgh did for him and used those lessons to build a team that matches up with what he saw and adding his own spin to it; character risks to him being a non factor.

22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  23. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll second that.;)

get.gif

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Since Brady lost his appeal for reinstatement to the 2nd us court of appeals yesterday, Arians has a good chance to help us in the AFC standings by beating the pats in the cards sunday night home opener, at least he should be able to handle Garoppolo in his first NFL start.......