1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

the truth about arians 'retirement'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by muthjv, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You are correct. Tomlin has a .639 and Noll .566

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The above roughly equates to average seasons of 10-6 Tomlin, 9-7 Noll.

3. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

didnt YOU just recently dispute my opinion that tomlin doesnt get to hire or fire his coaches?
    seems like i was right and you were wrong.
    not old news, just news you want to forgtet about..................lol

4. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Well, nobody is gonna say Tomlin is a better coach than Noll. Noll turned lemons into a lemonade empire. He built that dynasty literally from scratch. Of course, we were in front of the curve when it came to PEDs and drafting black colleges (which helped A LOT). Noll spent his first five years trying to find a quarterback and his last eight with Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Todd Blackledge, Steve Bono, and Bubby Brister (am I missing anybody?). Noll also left Cowher with a lot to work with.

Cowher left Tomlin with a lot to work with but, like Cowher, Tomlin has added some great personnel and hasn't missed a beat.

There's no question, winning percentage be damned, that Noll is the bar for coaching in Pittsburgh. I'd say Cowher and Tomlin are pretty damn even. I just get a kick out of people who think Cowher is some sort of God while Tomlin is a buffoon. I wouldn't put either one ahead of the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The one thing I will say about Cowher though is he did most of his with nothing more than a game manager at QB. Tomlin has had a franchise qb to help him in his earlier part of his career. I'm not looking at all forward to Ben being gone but it is definitely intriguing to me to see what Tomlin is gonna be able to do once Ben is gone. I think Tomlin definitely has put together a good staff though. Regardless of whether he was in on the Haley hire or not.

6. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    And only finally won when he got a franchise qb . . .

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The SB yeah but he won tons of games and went deep in the playoffs without one though. Tomlin hasn't had a chance to do that yet. Don't get me wrong though. I used to get extremely mad at Cowher and felt that he was just sometimes too conservative or too stubborn. I do love the guy though. I like Tomlin as well. I just think his resume is incomplete as of yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Some of you are late to this argument. We all know Tomlin has been winning with Cowher's guys!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

that is fact

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  11. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

yup, tomlin drafted roethlisbeger.....

12. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

just like switzer won with his players

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    And also Cowher lost with Tomlin's guys.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm:

This just in, NFL increases rosters from 1 to 53

Switzer won with Cowhers players too??? Man, those guys got around!

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Of course Switzer won with Cowher's players. Haven't you ever heard of Neil O'Donnell?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    Your giving credit to a coach for drafting a player that he didn't want to draft is a peculiar argument.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chuck Noll forgot more about football than Cowher or Tomlin will ever know. Yes you can say well he
    had all these HOF. He made these HOF. He made boys into men and most of them have been very productive citizen's
    after there careers were over. You young people don't remember the pre 70's Steelers, they were the laughing stock of the league
    and then Dan Rooney hired the Emperor. Dan Rooney, Chuck Noll, Joe Greene saved the Pgh Steelers and made them what they are today.
    The greatest pro franchise on the PLANET!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah, nobody is going to beat Nolls 4 superbowl wins in a six year span and two back to back wins, lets face the truth, winning percentages only count when we win a superbowl...Truth is Noll didnt leave cowher with an empty roster like cowher didn't leave tomlin with an empty one, noll was the only coach who had an empty roster and he built the team into a dynasty...

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Since you're clueless, the Cowboys players didn't respect Switzer he was just a Jerry Jones puppet he won a Super Bowl with superior talent. Switzer couldn't maintain it at that level and was fired. Tomlin has kept his team competitive and never had a losing season, but you can just keep hating the Rooney family disagree with your opinion by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The truth is that Mr. Rooney came back and clean house. Technically, Tomlin did fire arians but you best believe that he was told to do so by Mr Rooney.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
  22. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    I thought Big Lebowksi was stupid (and I'm pretty much a film buff). I feel like I'm alone on this. I feel like Peter trying to explain how he hated The Godfather on Family Guy then his entire family attacks him for it. Anybody else dislike Big Lebowski? Nope? Just me?

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Here is my take. BA was told to run the ball more. if I remember right for 2 years?? he didn't do it. Tomlin still liked him and said I am putting you in for a raise. Big Dan had another plan. Tomlin ask for a raise for BA and Dan said fire his azz. Worked out for the best for BA and US

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I liked the movie, but for me I could probably think of a hundred movies I like better.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Never EVVVVVVVER speak ill of the Coen Brothers and ESPECIALLY The Dude! I mean, that's like, your opinion man... LOL! That's cool that you're a film buff. I consider myself one as well. The Coens are my favorite filmmakers on the planet and second all time only to Hitchcock for me. My absolute favorite Coen film is probably Raising Arizona. When I was in high school I probably watched the Big Lebowski at least 100 times. Oh and also Peter Griffin is an inexcusable idiot for not like The Godfather. LOL!